PDA

View Full Version : B737 engine start questions

flyzhz
23rd Feb 2014, 07:47
For the normal engine start,why do we start NO.2 engine first?
For the starting with ground air source,why do we have to start NO.1 engine first?

despegue
23rd Feb 2014, 08:01
For a crossbleed start, so with the help of an ground air starter, the equipment and personnel is on the starboard side of the aircraft, hence the need to start engine one first.

For normal starts, there is to my knowledge no real reason behind it, but I am sure there is a historical explanation, which I am sure has been told to me before, just cannot remember it:uhoh:..

BOAC
23rd Feb 2014, 12:37
I think traditionally (big piston days) the battery was mounted in the starboard side of the aircraft and starting the nearest starboard engine first meant the battery lead was effectively shorter so less current loss. Certainly on the Cessna 310 (small piston days.....) I flew that was so.

That's my 2 roubles, anyway.:)

jmbecker13
23rd Feb 2014, 12:52
If you start #2 first, you can give the passengers conditioned air while #1 starts.

RAT 5
24th Feb 2014, 10:38
Could it be the ground push-back guy watches the right engine start, then moves to watch the left engine start, then is on the good side to wave to the captain that all is clear?

chopchop7
24th Feb 2014, 10:52
if you use an air starter connection on the right side, start engine no 1 first, so the crew can walk around engine no 2 to disconnect air starter. if using APU, there is no restriction on which engine first; some airplanes recommend down wind engine first. but to get cabin air conditioning going and keep the pax cool start engine no 2 and use 'isolated pack operation' while engine no 1 starts. :cool:

Fullblast
24th Feb 2014, 11:49
Number 2 first to start, and first to be shut down when approaching the stand for the GPU guy to connect…keep working hours pretty close ahahahah