PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 Air Racing re-launches in Europe!

Unusual Attitude
19th Feb 2014, 08:38
Great to see AirraceF1 have pulled it off! :D

1st Race confirmed in Spain 1st June 2014:-

Press release just out:

http://airracef1.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/AIR-RACE-F1-LAUNCHES-INAUGURAL-INTERNATIONAL-AIR-RACE-IN-LLEIDA-CATALUN....pdf

Air Race F1 | Motorsport at its fastest! (http://www.airraceF1.com)

Cant wait!

Regards

UA

Pace
19th Feb 2014, 10:06
UA

Looks fantastic and proper air racing :E
Still looks in its infancy so hope it gets through all bureaucratic nonsense in EASA land

Pace

Unusual Attitude
19th Feb 2014, 10:24
Insurance was the main potential issue from what I believe which has also been causing problems at Reno but thats now out of the way.

A few of us have known about this for 6-8 weeks or so and keeping our fingers crossed so great to see it finally get launched!

Regards

UA

treadigraph
19th Feb 2014, 12:19
Nice one!

There was always something magical about visiting the Tiger Club's hangar at Redhill in the 1970s and seeing various Cassutts, Betas and Cosmic Winds (there were three in the UK then) lurking amongst the other treasures in there...

Wonder how many of them would still be competitive given the opportunity?

Unusual Attitude
19th Feb 2014, 12:25
From what I know there will likely be a couple of Cassutts and possibly a Midget Mustang from the UK competing at this.

Also some Cassutts and Brousards from France along with some very quick machines from Reno which I expect will do well.....

Regards

UA

Pace
19th Feb 2014, 16:24
Sadly as with any racing money talks! Air racing in Europe has been more about precision flying and estimated over the line times rather than racing Reno style ! I should know as I was the winner of such a series around a decade ago :ok: But it was not air racing in the true sense. More a precision flying competition,

There was that very tragic accident where many spectators were killed when an aircraft fell into the crowds in true air racing.
Unlike motor racing it is very hard to protect The public without putting them so far from the action that half the spectacle is lost !

It would be interesting to know how they envisage these displays happening while keeping the authorities happy !

I wish them all the luck in bringing a good series together without watering the event down too much

Pace

treadigraph
19th Feb 2014, 19:50
Only time I recall seeing F1 races in the UK was at Tiger Club displays at Redhill, when they flew a tight circuit, with one leg down the crowd line and the opposite leg behind the crowd, presumably just outside the Gatwick zone; with the crowd inside the turns it seems a rather safer concept.

I imagine the Redhill races were more demonstration than truly competitive though.

Best of luck UA, I hope you will keep us updated as to progress!

Unusual Attitude
21st Feb 2014, 13:56
Thanks Treadigraph,

As I understand it this event will be run with an oval in front of the crowd line as per Reno F1 but its fully launched now so is a definite, just hope it picks up some good support!

Just to point out however I’m not part of the organisation of this, just merely one of the stick monkeys on the day! :\

Regards

UA

Unusual Attitude
26th Feb 2014, 08:43
Kickstarter just launched to cover the TV production costs.....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736331955/air-race-f1-tv-production

Would be great to see some more flying events on TV!

Regards

UA