PDA

View Full Version : Class Rating

flyer96
10th Feb 2014, 18:20
Hi All,

I have my SEP class rating and have flown PA28s and C152s before. If I wanted to fly an LSA for example, would I need an instructor sign off or anything else in that regards to legally fly the plane? This is assuming insurance is not requiring any training.

Many thanks

Josh

thing
10th Feb 2014, 20:37
You would be bonkers not to do at least a few ccts with an instructor in a new type. The legalities of it I'm not sure about, personally I would say yes you could jump in and go but I'm no expert, I'm sure a resident legal eagle will be along to advise.

S-Works
10th Feb 2014, 21:03
No formal differences training required. It's covered in the SEP Class.

3 Point
10th Feb 2014, 21:49
thing,

Bit of a broad statement to suggest that the OP is "bonkers" to fly a new type without flying it first with an instructor. Do we know what his overall experience is? What are the actual differences between the two types? What is the availability of instructors with relevant experience? What if the new type is a single seater?

In many cases some dual time would be wise or even strongly advisable; in other cases a ground briefing or even self briefing from the manual will be quite sufficient.

Many LSAs will have very similar handling characteristics to the Cessna and Piper types that flyer96 has already flown so the answer to his question is ...

Legally, your SEP rating qualifies you to fly LSAs so, if the insurance are happy to cover you then you can legally fly an LSA. It may be wise however to fly a familiarisation flight with an instructor or a pilot who has already got some experience on the type.

Happy landings

3 Pont

thing
10th Feb 2014, 22:10
It may be wise however to fly a familiarisation flight with an instructor or a pilot who has already got some experience on the type.

:confused: Thought that's what I said?

Piper.Classique
11th Feb 2014, 14:32
Quote:
It may be wise however to fly a familiarisation flight with an instructor or a pilot who has already got some experience on the type.

Thought that's what I said?

Not quite. Between "Bonkers not to" and "may be wise to" we could insert several more shades of meaning.

It's going to depend so much on the circumstances that all we can say is

"It's legal"

I've let some people fly my Cub on a briefing. Some other people won't be getting in while I have a hole in my *****.

thing
11th Feb 2014, 14:55
Between "Bonkers not to" and "may be wise to"

But my 'bonkers not to' may mean to me the same as 'may be wise to' to you. I think 'bonkers not to' is a fairly mild piece of advice, not meant to convey anything other than it may be a good idea to get a checkride. We all speak differently (may I add that your English is very good for a Frenchman).

Piper.Classique
11th Feb 2014, 14:59
Point taken, Thing. Nice of you to compliment my english, but actually I am from Scotland. Oh, and female :)

thing
11th Feb 2014, 15:21
I bet your French accent is fabulous!