PDA

View Full Version : Collision Course 1979 - Available on internet!

mcstiofan
10th Feb 2014, 14:05
I could be thinking of the wrong forum, but I believe that after coming across some discussion on how and where this was filmed, I recently PM'd someone here who claimed to have had a copy of the mentioned documentary.

Well, it seems someone was nice enough to post it on YouTube not long ago. If anyone else wants to watch it, it's available here: Collision Course (1979) - YouTube

[favour return]Since I'm in an aviation forum...does anyone know when airway names started changing from colour designations, to the current letters?[/favour return]

chevvron
10th Feb 2014, 20:38
If it's the re-creation of Zagreb, (can't be bothered to watch it through) it was filmed at IAL's school which I think was still at Southall ie hadn't yet re-located to Bailbrook.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Feb 2014, 21:30
If it is Zagreb (and I can't be bothered to watch it) why anyone would want to produce such a thing, so long after the event, is beyond me. I was on watch in Heathrow Tower when the Trident took off and when I heard about the collision later that day it shook me to my core.

Gouls - YUK.

mcstiofan
10th Feb 2014, 21:31
It is Zagreb. Any thoughts about the airways?

bekolblockage
11th Feb 2014, 04:53
Gouls - YUK

Not sure what you see is goulish about it HD.:confused:

This part of the world is now experiencing many of the same factors that brought about this accident- rapid increase in traffic, inability to train sufficient ATCs to the required standard quickly enough, playing catchup with systems replacement etc.

I remember seeing this video over 30 years ago and think its still relevant from Upper Management level down to ab-initio trainees.

So many parallels in our region, its scary.

obwan
11th Feb 2014, 08:03
Well said H.D.:D

DaveReidUK
11th Feb 2014, 09:24
If it is Zagreb (and I can't be bothered to watch it) why anyone would want to produce such a thing, so long after the event, is beyond me.It was made only 3 years after the accident.

Given that it was based largely on transcripts from the trial of the controller and (controversially, at the time) from the CVR, it seems a little unfair to criticise the makers.

Some interesting background on the film, and the reaction to it, from Flight at the time:

1979 | 0638 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1979/1979%20-%200638.html)

Hempy
11th Feb 2014, 12:06
Was shown to us as trainees on about day 2 in 1995...made me wonder wtf I was doing there!

confused atco
11th Feb 2014, 12:50
does anyone know when airway names started changing from colour designations, to the current letters?
Early 1990's
Upper Green became Upper Golf