PDA

View Full Version : Sochi: attempted hijack of Pegasus Airlines flight

Blind Squirrel
7th Feb 2014, 16:39
Initial reports say that a passenger claimed he'd a bomb; apparently he wanted the aircraft to go to the site of the Winter Olympics. Aircraft on the ground at IST; being searched for explosives.

Hijack attempt on Ukraine to Turkey plane - Europe - Al Jazeera English (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/02/hijacked-plane-from-ukraine-lands-istanbul-201427171647580722.html)

Blind Squirrel
7th Feb 2014, 17:12
Aircraft was a B737-800, reg TC-CCP, performing flight PC751 from HRK-IST. The passenger, a Ukrainian national, was persuaded to surrender an hour after landing, having spoken with Ukrainian security forces. No reason given as yet.

Sabiha Gökçen Havalimanı'nda heyecanlı dakikalar - Hürriyet GÜNDEM (http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/25759679.asp)

Jack1985
7th Feb 2014, 17:31
I'm guessing this has more to do with recent tensions between US/Europe - Ukraine and Russia rather than Sochi itself.

Airbubba
7th Feb 2014, 23:04
Here's the politically incorrect Russian headline:

Drunk Ukrainian fails to hijack airliner on Kharkov-Istanbul-flight (http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_02_08/Drunk-Ukrainian-failed-to-hijack-airliner-on-Kharkov-Istanbul-flight-8075/)

deptrai
7th Feb 2014, 23:33
A complete nutcase obviously, big surprise there. Glad it ended well.

fly4bux777
8th Feb 2014, 02:22
Looks like the Turkish pilots handled it perfectly. Well done crew!

Hotel Tango
8th Feb 2014, 09:50
Have crew shut-down the entertainment system?

Not sure PGT are that well equipped. I believe they lean more towards a low cost operation. But I may be wrong!

Huck
8th Feb 2014, 12:25
American media are reporting that the ruse was almost exposed when the aircraft landed and everyone turned on their cell phones. They saw that they were connecting with a Turkish cell carrier......

lomapaseo
8th Feb 2014, 14:28
Have crew shut-down the entertainment system? So alleged hi-jacker can not follow where the aircraft is going?

Might work in other planes but according to the video this one doesn't seem to have any video.

poorjohn
8th Feb 2014, 16:00
HT: American media are reporting that the ruse was almost exposed when the aircraft landed and everyone turned on their cell phones. They saw that they were connecting with a Turkish cell carrier......

It would be good if those lessons - kill any flight-tracking info on the IFE system, and announce to pax that "local authorities have restricted cell-phone usage..." - made it into everyone's cabin-crew SOPs.

BARKINGMAD
8th Feb 2014, 21:47
Was the hijacker using some of that magic toothpaste? :)

Kulverstukas
9th Feb 2014, 06:47
I think he used only magic words.

acbus1
9th Feb 2014, 10:36
If I was a terrorist, the last place I'd want to be at the moment is the site of the Winter Olympics.

Still, it's a new twist on the term 'suicide bomber', with the emphasis being exclusively upon the 'suicide' element.