PDA

View Full Version : TIGER AIR PILOT strike notice

4 Holer
4th Feb 2014, 10:35
I read in Financial review Tiger Air Pilots start Limited strike action Friday at 3am
Is that correct ?

Martin VanNostrum
4th Feb 2014, 22:34
From one who's been there, done that. My advice is don't do it. These things can turn nasty very quickly.

BNEA320
4th Feb 2014, 23:11
you may end up with no job & who's going to employ someone who lost their job for striking. Remember the pilots dispute ?

Tidbinbilla
4th Feb 2014, 23:24
I think you'll find what has been approved is protected industrial action - not a strike.

Which would have been approved by Fair Work Australia (or whatever its current title is).

psycho joe
5th Feb 2014, 00:04
BNEA320
now is not the time to strike
you may end up with no job & who's going to employ someone who lost their job for striking. Remember the pilots dispute ?

Firstly, it's protected. So nobody is losing their job.

Secondly, let's have some perspective. Pilots aren't quitting en-masse as part of the industrial action. Massive difference. :ugh:

Hempy
5th Feb 2014, 00:47
Not answering mobile phones and taking legitimate RDO's is hardly a 'strike'.

Judd
5th Feb 2014, 01:13
Reminds me of the old song "When will they ever learn" Shades of the AFAP all over again in 1989

It's a protected action? Therefore its not a strike? A rose by another name, comes to mind.

Australopithecus
5th Feb 2014, 01:36
On the other hand, where would you find replacement pilots on lesser terms and conditions?

Offcut
5th Feb 2014, 02:20
Geez guys! Why bother being in a union if you are never willing to take industrial action? As long as the demands are not unreasonable, industrial action is a legitimate negotiating tool.

theheadmaster
5th Feb 2014, 02:22
Judd, there is a huge difference. If you can't see that, time to educate yourself.

Australopithecus
5th Feb 2014, 02:51
And as long as they are not taking legal advice from the idiot Tony North they are protected. The dispute was tragic, to be sure, but it was built on a house of cards.

A frank and open meeting of the minds is cheaper and more immediately effective than a disgruntled workforce working to rule, especially a workforce than can say "fill 'er up" whenever they want. For example. Not that I am advocating it:E

Ollie Onion
5th Feb 2014, 04:40
And in this short thread we see why aviation is forever screwed in this country:ugh: as stated, why bother with unions at all if on the first sighting of very minor industrial action we get all the 89'ers telling everyone to back down. Guess we just have to rely on the goodwill of management to get what is required.

From my point of view, good lick guys I hope you achieve what is required.

Lawrie Cox
5th Feb 2014, 06:40
Australopithecus
your statement is completely false. There was another lawyer involved (now deceased) who gave the advice you refer to whilst correct legally was a disaster industrially.

In fact Tony North who is now a Federal Court judge only became involved as a junior at the start. He was also the judge who had the intestinal fortitude to lift the corporate veil in the maritime dispute unlike those who sat in judgement of the Federation and its members.

On topic the legislative framework we now operate to is completely different than that that existed in 1989. Suggest a few people actually read before making some fairly silly statements on this site or any other social media that could lead to one action against them.

For a start read the Pprune owners information at the top of the page.

Tidbinbilla
5th Feb 2014, 07:45
Thanks, Lawrie.
Perhaps a couple of lines explaining protected industrial action to the industrially unaware might be in order?

Jack Ranga
5th Feb 2014, 08:02
You blokes are a treat, so brave, would love climbing the parapet with you blokes :D

j3pipercub
5th Feb 2014, 08:02
Hey Guys,

Protected Industrial Action, or PIA, is a valid and sanctioned way to get companies who are stonewalling or being unreasonable back to the negotiating table. This form of action MUST be approved by Fair Work Australia (FWA) and must be measured and gradual.

For example, a few years ago, the Southern Regional Red Rat Flight Crew had approval for PIA in the form of not answering phones on RDOs and not flying aircraft with any MELs on it. This was approved by FWA.

It should also be noted that this PIA did not even get implemented, as the company, when it realized the MASSIVE schedule disruption it would face, came back to the table and negotiated in good faith. That is the key word here, GOOD FAITH.

If the negotiators are being told a constant and monotonous NO to reasonable and justifiable claims, what else would you have the negotiators do? Awww sorry guys, the company won't give us a payrise and now we have to pay for our cyclics...

You guys know you can vote Liberal and be a member of a Union right??:ugh:

Note, this form of action is (as far as I am aware) only open to Union members. If other non union members participate, they can get into serious trouble as this is 'unprotected'. That was my understanding, happy to be corrected.

Good luck to the Tiger negotiators, it is a thankless job.

j3

tmpffisch
5th Feb 2014, 08:57
Note, this form of action is (as far as I am aware) only open to Union members. If other non union members participate, they can get into serious trouble as this is 'unprotected'. That was my understanding, happy to be corrected.

Out of interest, operating as a crew, how does one go about some of this (if one pilot is a union member and one isn't)?

accepting any aircraft for a flight that has a permissible un-serviceability as described in the Minimum Equipment List (MEL).
completing all Voyage Report Information, other the recording of Flight and Block times.
re-commencing any duties within 30 minutes of a Turn Around during the hours of 0500 to 0800; and 1100 to 1400; and 1700 to 2000.
any work or duty prior to the designated sign on time, or after the designated sign off time.
following group of Flight Related Actions: Intersection Take Offs; exceeding speed of Mach 0.76; accepting Track Shortening; other than in the event of an emergency.

Australopithecus
5th Feb 2014, 09:25
I stand corrected, and chastened, about Mr. North. Apologies.

Angle of Attack
5th Feb 2014, 09:25
Join the union, otherwise just dont partake in the directions, doesnt matter either way because if the bloke your with does it the plane aint going anywhere.
Simple really, you just keep doing your job and the other guy will comply by the directions, and probably in the long run lift your pay too..

Ned Gerblansky
5th Feb 2014, 10:09
I think everyone needs to take 3 deep breaths, and look at the legal perspective.

If you are rostered for mind-numbing shifts that leave you in a perpetual state of jet-lag, unable to enjoy your time-off, this leads to chronic fatigue which physically and psychologically debilitates you. The long-term effects of the low-cost carrier on medical health are being questioned at present, and most LCCs will not allow leave to be taken when the pilot feels the need to take it. You become a slave, with only the medical system to alleviate your conditions.

This is clearly un-acceptable. Were I a CEO, I would find the chief rostering clerk and double their salary, on the proviso that they never publish a roster that they (or I) would not be happy doing. That would be 10 rupees a day in India!

Companies have done round-the-clock opetations for centuries (e.g. the Royal Navy) but they limit the hours between midnight and 6 a.m., which is when the human body needs sleep. Under CAO 82, the Chief Pilot is responsible for rostering, but this can be delegated. CASA is responsible for the overview, and may make changes to flight and duty requirements as required to ensure safety. When have they ever done this? Normally a CASA rep approves more slavery, then takes a job as, I dunno, "Head of Safety" perhaps, with the slave-owners!

We have learned so much about aviation medicine since 1945, but LCCs disregard all that. Captain and F/O meals are supposed to be prepared in different kitchens, but not now if it saves $4. How many instances of crew incapacitation have there been? I had one myself, and my mate had DUAL incapacitation, only able to recover the aircraft when his appendix burst - and he was the F/O!

Finally, there are always the 89'rs that say "don't make waves!". This bowl of crap that we have to eat today is thanks to you lot! Fancy going on strike over Xmas (alienating the public), standing up against Bob Hawke who had an approval rating of 75%, when the industrial accord was for no more than 6% pay increases because interest rates were 18% and people were losing their houses. The companies offered you 15%, but you wanted 29%. When the courts ordered you to return to work, you defied it, and resigned en-masse, answerable to nobody. The Mt. Macedon farmers went into retirement, the F/Os got the stick, and regretted it ever since.

Make waves guys! It's not hard to do decent rosters, 'coz I've done it for a regional airline. Don't accept second best, you are the buck-stop. An ATC friend of mine used to say, "It's simple, when YOU screw up you die. When I screw-up, YOU die."

If your legal action is protected by the courts, go for it - but get a good information campaign to the travelling public. You need them on your side if you're going to win.

Ned

theheadmaster
5th Feb 2014, 10:10
'Protected' industrial action means that you are 'protected' from being sued for the damage caused to the company for the action you are taking. This is one of the differences between PIA that is being discussed now and what happened in 1989.

ivan ellerbai
5th Feb 2014, 10:38
ned g - what a nonsensical rant that is.

rationale - out the window

common sense - duhh!

logic - where's that?

consistency - only in your inconsistency.

Jack Ranga
5th Feb 2014, 10:41
I thought it was pretty good Tony........er, sorry Ivan.

Martin VanNostrum
5th Feb 2014, 21:38
The herd is a dumb animal. Don't follow the herd.

Captain Dart
5th Feb 2014, 22:54
Some of the F/O's and not a few CNs did very well from 'the year that dare not speak its name', Ned. Some internationals were gagging for pilots and many of us are still flying; wide bodies at that, and based in Australia.

From experience, in these events you see the worst in some people and the best in others. Airlines come and go (there is not one Australian domestic still in existence since 'that year'), but pilots have long careers and even longer memories, especially of those who let down their mates.

Willie Nelson
6th Feb 2014, 00:53
Is anyone able to indicate the primary sticking points with Tiger management are? Obviously there will be more than one, however is this a pay issue or a rostering issue...?

4 Holer
6th Feb 2014, 01:19
In your financial review the union just asked for urgent hearing as management sent email to pilots asking who will be working normal and who is working restricted.
Just a suggestion you may want to get a happy to work as normal email in you don't want to be on the other list. Virgin AUS loosing $2 million per week something will give ???

PoppaJo
6th Feb 2014, 02:11
Virgin AUS loosing $2 million per week something will give ???

Tiger is losing on average 60m a year, Virgin only have 60%. It's more like $700,000 a week.

anonymouspilot
6th Feb 2014, 02:25
The lack of spine, and ignorance regarding PIA in this thread is mind numbing. On a forum where the vast majority of post are chest beating and complaining about management and conditions, it's surprising to see how many people backflip when it comes to taking meaningful, and perfectly legal, action.
@Willie, I believe the pay issue has been agreed upon, one of the main sticking points is around a clause to guarantee no changes to a roster after its published, a clause many of us already have in our EBA.
@4 Holer, why suggest people respond to what amounts to (possibly unlawful) threats? The union is advising against any response, and legislation protects employees from punitive action as long as the action is by the book.

PIA can be an effective tool, as long as its done wisely and union members stick together. I'm sure those not in the union or those that choose not to participate will not give back the benefits that are gained by the struggle of those willing to stand up and be counted.

Pucken Pilot
6th Feb 2014, 04:23
Is anyone able to indicate the primary sticking points with Tiger management are? Obviously there will be more than one, however is this a pay issue or a rostering issue...? It's mainly about rostering, AFAP Media Release here.....

http://www.afap.org.au/files/nrteUploadFiles/52F022F201473A373A57PM.pdf

pettycoat pilot
6th Feb 2014, 08:00
I've been with VB/VA since start up and to be frank I'm sick to death about Tiger and the issues! I suggested we should have left them to sink in the mud, similar to Ansett but at least they were worth saving unlike you idiots. Hell you can't even do a circuit without causing issues!

You demand more money? Go for it, funny when you were about to lose your jobs how different your tones were and only hope JB and board are reading this crap.

We could have/should have used the old VB brand, it was well presented and adaptable compared to these fools from Asia.

Yep, drop anchor and let them drift JP, you have a proven product under the name of VB or PB - use it and the guys who started it!

:ugh:

Boney
6th Feb 2014, 09:07
. . . . Is this guy/gal serious?

Unbelievable.

And no, I don't work for Tiger.

TBM-Legend
6th Feb 2014, 09:26
Bring back Brian McCarthy, he'll fix it...:ok::ok:

BNEA320
6th Feb 2014, 10:38
pilots will be offered less pay not more !!!

Pucken Pilot
6th Feb 2014, 13:11
Looks like a pause in proceedings with PIA being suspended. Here's a bit of a timeline from AFAP updates from past few days....

05 February 2014
EBA UPDATE #21

Notice to Withdraw Memorandum titled

“Contingency Planning for Proposed Work Bans”

We are aware that late today the Company sent a memorandum to all pilots entitled “Contingency Planning for Proposed Work Bans”.

In this memorandum the Company has requested pilots indicate their intention to undertake protected industrial action by 2:00pm tomorrow, Thursday 6 February 2014. The company advises that should a pilot indicate that they will participate in the protected industrial action, or they do not provide a response, the Company will take the relevant pilots off flying duties.

Tonight, we have written to Rob Sharp advising that we consider that this constitutes unlawful employer response action and a breach of Part 3-1 of the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth). Further we have advised that unless the Company withdraws the memorandum before 10am (EDT) tomorrow, 6 February 2014, we intend to take legal action against the Company. For a copy of the letter from AFAP Executive Director, Simon Lutton to Tigerair CEO Rob Sharp – click here.

Do not respond to the Company’s Memorandum

As per our previous update, we advise members to not respond to the Company’s request to indicate whether you intend to participate in industrial action.

06 February 2014
EBA UPDATE #22

AFAP SEEKS ORDERS AGAINST THE COMPANY FOR UNLAWFUL RESPONSE ACTION

Further to our update yesterday afternoon (attaching the letter AFAP sent to CEO, Rob Sharp) the company has NOT withdrawn the memorandum to pilots demanding that you indicate your intention to participate in protected industrial action.

As a result the AFAP has lodged a section 418 application in the Fair Work Commission to have the compony withdraw its threat to remove pilots who don’t respond from their flying, on the basis that this is unlawful employer response action.

We have asked that this matter be listed to be heard before 2pm today.

In the meantime our advice to pilots is not to respond to the Company’s memorandum.

Members should hold strong, not respond to the company regarding their intentions, and if approached by the company take notes of everything said and by who and report it to the AFAP.

We will provide further advice following the outcome of the Fair Work Commission hearing.

06 February 2014
EBA UPDATE #23

COMPANY WITHDRAWS THREAT TO REMOVE PILOTS FROM FLYING

An urgent hearing called by the AFAP today in the Fair Work Commission was held at 1.30pm today before Commissioner Johns. During the proceedings the AFAP and Tiger held discussions in which the company agreed the following:

• Tiger provide an undertaking to Commissioner Johns that it had not altered any pilot’s roster based on information it had, or had not, received pursuant to the letter sent to pilots yesterday, 5 February 2014; and

• Tiger would send a letter to all pilots tonight stating that the second last paragraph of yesterday’s letter was withdrawn (i.e. that pilots would be taken off flying duties if they failed to inform Tiger that they were not taking industrial action); and

• Further, that no alteration to a pilots roster would be made, regardless of whether or not they informed the company of their intention to take or not take industrial action.

• Tiger will also include a statement that it reserves its rights to take employer response action against any employee who actually does take industrial action, in accordance with legislation.

Tiger have confirmed with us that it will send the letter to pilots referred to in the undertaking in the next few hours. Upon Tiger giving the above undertakings, the Commission application by the AFAP has now been withdrawn.

The result is that your rostered duties will remain the same no matter what you have told or not told Tiger.

Accordingly, we advise pilots to not respond to any request by Tiger to indicate their availability. Pilots are under no obligation to do so.

COMPANY MAY STILL TAKE ACTION

As outlined above, the company have reserved its rights to take employer response action if pilots engage in protected industrial action. The only action the company can take by way of employer response action is to lockout employees.

The AFAP believe this would be an extreme response by the company. Instead we would hope they would approach us with a solution to our outstanding claims.

Alternatively, as previously advised the Company can elect to dock pilots pay if they engage in bans, provided they comply with the notice requirements under the Fair Work Act.

AFAP CONTINUING DISCUSSIONS

The AFAP negotiating team is continuing to try to reach agreement with the Company and to reach a solution. We will attempt to arrange and continue discussions with the company tonight in a further effort to seek resolution.

BANS TO GO AHEAD

At this point bans are to commence as previously advised from 0300 tomorrow. We will advise immediately if the company agrees to our position.

06 February 2014
EBA UPDATE #24

Meeting with the CEO on Monday

Protected Industrial Action to be Suspended

As foreshadowed in the previous update tonight we continued discussions with the company in a final attempt to avert industrial action and find a way to reach agreement.

We are happy to advise that agreement on a final meeting involving the Tigerair CEO, Robert Sharp and your reps will occur on Monday 10 February 2014.

As an act of good faith we offered to suspend the protected industrial action shortly after its commencement and until we have had the meeting on Monday

UNLESS YOU HAVE BEEN CONTACTED BY THE AFAP DIRECTLY YOU ARE ADVISED TO NOT TAKE ANY OF THE WORK BANS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

We remain hopeful of making progress with the company on Monday and reaching agreement. We will advise you of the progress after Monday’s meeting.

AGAIN – unless you have been personally contacted by the AFAP please do not proceed with any bans until further notice. Attend and perform work as normal.

If you require any guidance or support in relation to this industrial action, or the enterprise agreement more broadly, please contact either your pilot reps, or AFAP industrial officers Xxxxx Xxxxxxxx ([email protected]), Xxxxxx Xxxx ([email protected]) and Xxx Xxxxxxx ([email protected]).
Captains Xxxxx Xxxxxxx, Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx, Xxxx Xxxxxx and FO Xxxx Xxxxxxx

AFAP Tiger Negotiating Committee

4 Holer
6th Feb 2014, 20:11
I see Tiger said to the court they withdraw the last paragraph of the email saying they "will remove pilot from roster" who take action.

The email and intention is out there. Like I said before I would take the pay check fly the airplane and go home. They will simply fly the airline with half the guys that go to work and Virgin will pickup the slack.The rest of the crew will be outside the airport in the airplane spotters area scratching their heads as usual.:ouch:

Explain 100% of nothing to the wife and kids, take 80% of something, just my two cents anyway.

j3pipercub
6th Feb 2014, 20:25
4 Holer,

First you were being a d1ck over on the 737 thread, now you demonstrate a distinct lack of spine. Go back to Florida.

j3

AnQrKa
6th Feb 2014, 22:29
According to one Tiger pilot

"which has meant I
have not been able to pick up my kids from school on several occasions."

Me thinks he made a bad career choice then.

Shed Dog Tosser
6th Feb 2014, 22:45
Well done to the Tiger Pilots for having the conviction to stand up for themselves.

Do not fall for all the doomsday scenarios the 89'ers bang on about.

I have a huge amount of respect for the actions taken by the pilots in 1989, but lets be honest, it was a gamble, a very risky move, if it had worked our industry would be very different today, I wish it had worked.

To me, as a pilot that was not there in 1989, a vast majority of the remaining 89 pilots appear to have had their nuts removed.

This is not 1989 and it is "Protected" Industrial Action, good hunting.

Suck&Blow
6th Feb 2014, 22:47
Qantas staff know what Joyces response to PIA was! Shut the airline down. Lets hope JB has more brains! :yuk::yuk:

4 Holer
6th Feb 2014, 22:50
Piper Cub get of the big plane site back to GA where everything is at 60 knots hahahaha.

Regarding the 737 site I was 100% correct and we see you have your head in the sand again.

Go have the "protected" slow work at Tiger and you will get the wrath of Gary Hammes now VB COO he has dealt with you people before and won ...

Gate_15L
6th Feb 2014, 23:07
your obviously don't have much work for that DC 8 then eh 4 holes if yer too busy trying to tell the natives how they should work and what they should fight for.

Why don't you head back to Peru?

lilflyboy262...2
7th Feb 2014, 02:06
I was waiting for him to start stirring the pot.

Hempy
7th Feb 2014, 03:40
Reading previous posts, 4 Troller tbh..

Popgun
7th Feb 2014, 04:54
According to one Tiger pilot

"which has meant I
have not been able to pick up my kids from school on several occasions."

Me thinks he made a bad career choice then.
AnQrKa is offline Report Post Reply

Rubbish.

I know of several instances where there was a reasonable expectation to be finished work by late morning (2 sector day) that became evening finishes after 2 sectors were added without consent.

This has nothing to do with choice of industry.

Being able to plan our lives around our work hours is fair and reasonable and needs to be written into the contract or otherwise the door is open wide for management to take unreasonable advantages. Low cost or not, there HAS to be a balance.

Good on you guys at Tiger for standing up!

Wedcue
7th Feb 2014, 05:05
Be careful.

You're a small airline, you wont make any impact on the travelling public, you'll attract negative attention (which I think you have enough of already) and you will just send your pax to other carriers who have some capacity to accomodate a few more people.

flyingcircus
7th Feb 2014, 07:42
To all Tiger Pilots,

I wish you all the best in your PIA. There does appear to be management or the odd scab who seem to be trying to undermine you. Rest assured your line driver is behind you 100%.

In solidarity

A fellow pilot

Jimnhorace
7th Feb 2014, 08:02
Good luck to the tiger pilots and pay no heed to the moronic comments by Petticoat. The terms and conditions now enjoyed by VA pilots are the result of some robustly contested EBA negotiations.

Lawrie Cox
7th Feb 2014, 10:44
Sorry Tid
you asked for short version of PIA

PIA (Protected Industrial Action)
Means what it says it is protected within the legislation.

What happens is that the Federation as the bargaining agent on behalf of its members can apply to hold a ballot on a series of actions to be taken by the pilot group.
The question can relate to any form of action, bans or refusal to perform certain duties.
Once the action questions are formulated we apply to Fair Work Australia to run a ballot of our members.
Both Federation and Company can attend and put arguments as to the questions to be asked.
It is important to note that only members or anyone represented by the Federation in the negotiations can vote.
The ballot is conducted by the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC).
They receive the list of members from the Federation and compare to a full employee list from the employer.
Neither the Company or Union gets access to the lists supplied.
The ballot is declared on each question both as hard votes and percentages, this is published on the Fair Work website.
On each question supported by the majority the action can begin on the date no earlier than three business days.
There is also a time frame to start any single part of the action if not started by that time the ballot has to be rerun.

Once the action begins the employer does have the right to lock out employees for taking action but cannot dismiss the employee.
It is not a strike unless that was the agreed action to completely stop work indefinitely.
Also should be noted only Members can take the action.
If a non-member takes action outside normal ops in support they leave themselves open to a damages action.

Hope that gives the basic brief facts of PIA.

Lawrie Cox
Australian Federation of Air Pilots

Beer Baron
7th Feb 2014, 13:41
I've got to say I'm astounded with the negative responses I've read on this thread. I believe the affected Tiger pilots deserve 100% support from the rest of the pilot body.
People are so quick to dig the boot in with talk of being the "worst paid narrow body pilots in the country" but here they are using smart and legal tactics to improve their conditions but others want to condem them.
The company has been bought by owners with (relatively) deep pockets, so now is absolutely the time to be making a wage/conditions claim. Given the plan is to double or triple the fleet size there are certainly the funds around to pay for your EBA claims.

The ex-89 crowd suggesting "we tried industrial action, it didn't work for us so it won't work for anyone" are naïve or arrogant to not see that the circumstances and laws are completely different here. Just because an approach did not pan out 25 years ago does not mean pilots in Australia must be happy with whatever rubbish their employer hands out forever onward.

And to the Virgin crew (or those pretending to be) attacking this action, you ought to realise this is the best possible scenario for your continued employment in the Virgin/Tiger group. The last thing you want is a ready, waiting and compliant body of pilots within your own airline group who'll happily do your flying on a lesser EBA. JB will certainly think twice about attempting to replace you with cheaper crew if said crew have proven to have an industrial backbone and know how to fight for a fair EBA.
You should be thanking your Tiger cousins.

oicur12.again
7th Feb 2014, 14:06
"I know of several instances where there was a reasonable expectation to be finished work by late morning (2 sector day) that became evening finishes after 2 sectors were added without consent."

This has occurred in all of the 5 airlines I have worked for, in oz and o/s. Annoying yes, but part of the game.

Pucken Pilot
7th Feb 2014, 23:41
It's not part of the game at Virgin Domestic, Virgin Regional, Jetstar, Sunstate, or Eastern (not sure about Qantas as their EBA isn't on the AFAP website but I'd be surprised if they didn't have some protections around roster changes). From what I can tell, what they're after is pretty much industry standard.

VIRGIN DOMESTIC.....

DISPLACEMENT FOR OPERATIONAL REASONS
20.1 A pilot may be displaced from a rostered duty for the following reasons:
(a) Flight cancellations;
(b) Checking or training;
(c) Disruptions due to weather or mechanical information; or
(d) Aircraft type change

….
20.5 A pilot who is displaced from duty will only be assigned duty that falls within a period commencing one hour prior to the original sign on time and terminates one hour after the original sign on time at home base, unless such pilot agrees otherwise.

VIRGIN REGIONAL (i.e. SKYWEST EBA).....

13.4 All changes to the roster shall be wholly contained within a buffer period defined by 2 hours either side of the originally rostered duty.
Where a pilot was rostered reserve, allocated a duty and the duty subsequently changes all changes shall be within a buffer period defined by 2 hours either side of the first allocated duty and not the reserve period.
Should a re-assigned duty, displaced reserve and subsequently assigned duty fall outside the above mentioned buffer, then such changes require Pilot approval.
In this instance, all Duty times outside the two hour buffer shall be paid at the applicable Productivity Rate.
This clause does not apply to reserve periods.
JETSTAR.....

2.4 DISPLACEMENT
2.4.1 A pilot may be displaced from a rostered tour of duty for a number of reasons including but not limited to the following:
1. Cancellation of a flight(s) which directly and adversely impacts on their scheduled duty.
2. Published schedule variation
3. Disruption and/or recovery to service due to misconnections
4. Short notice sick leave
5. Publicity
6. Checking, training and courses required by Jetstar
7. Interviews or meetings scheduled arising from performance management issues
8. Duty hour limitations
9. Rest period requirements
10. Issues relating to OH&S
11. Misconnections
12.Management pilots personal proficiency or recency requirements (twenty-four (24) hours’ notice to be given)
….
2.5.1.2 Where a pilot is displaced from their original rostered duty with less than twelve (12) hours (fourteen (14) hours for self-nominated wide body pilots) notice, they may be assigned a duty commencing no earlier than their original rostered sign-on time and/or terminating no later than their original rostered sign-off time plus one (1) hour.
2.5.1.3 Where a re-assignable pilot is notified more than twelve (12) hours (fourteen (14) hours for SNWBP) in advance of their original rostered sign-on time, they may be assigned a duty with a sign-on time no earlier than one (1) hour prior to their original rostered sign-on time and/or a sign-off time no more than one (1) hour later than their original tour of duty rostered sign-off time.

SUNSTATE.....

36.1 It is the intent of this clause that rosters are established to provide stability to pilots in their working environment and that the workload is evenly distributed amongst the pilot group.
Consistent with this, pilots may choose not to accept extra duty or changes to roster.
….
36.19.5 When any change occurs within 48 hours of rostered sign-on and the pilot's sign-on becomes more than two hours earlier than the original rostered sign-on or more than one hour later than the original rostered sign-off times and the pilot agrees to the change the pilot shall be paid $220.

EASTERN.....

41.4.1. Displacement
a) A pilot may be displaced from the pilot's rostered duty period for any of the following reasons:
i. Disruptions to or cancellation of any of the Company's services;
ii. Checking and Training (subject to this Agreement); or,
iii. When the pilot has insufficient hours to complete a flight.
b) A pilot may be displaced before, during or after signing on for duty.
c) A pilot who is displaced under these provisions shall be deemed re-assignable.
d) A pilot who is displaced to re-assignable reserve shall be available for duty within the original duty plus a buffer of one hour prior and two hours after the original rostered duty.

lilflyboy262...2
8th Feb 2014, 14:10
All the companies I have worked for, if its within duty time, then you are expected to fly... Its pretty easy to plan around.

The Baron
8th Feb 2014, 21:33
Is the AFAP the only industrial organisation with members at Tigerair?

The Green Goblin
8th Feb 2014, 21:50
I've been watching this with a keen interest.

I hope you get what you're after and I hope it's a fair deal for all parties. You want a viable airline that's profitable. You certainly don't want your T&Cs to cause you to become uncompetitive. Having said that you want something realistic that represents the job we all do in an expensive econony with associated lifestyle/rostering protections.

I'd personally take less remuneration for better rostering.

Go hard guys.

BNEA320
8th Feb 2014, 23:59
not now, when making a loss, or you might be offerred an effective pay cut !!!

KRUSTY 34
9th Feb 2014, 02:26
I don't think pay is the issue. Tiger will not live or die based on the EBA proposal. From what I can see its about a management win mentality.

But then again what's new!

Willie Nelson
9th Feb 2014, 08:31
Thanks to those that answered my earlier question as to what the Gocat guys were asking for.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable request to me. All the best :ok:

DancingDog
10th Feb 2014, 09:07
Any news as to the outcome of todays meeting?

wheels_down
23rd Mar 2014, 10:12
Looks like they got some serious base increases.

They would now be the highest paid A320 pilots in the region.

ITCZ
21st Apr 2014, 07:30
People are so quick to dig the boot in with talk of being the "worst paid narrow body pilots in the country" but here they are using smart and legal tactics to improve their conditions but others want to condem them...
JB will certainly think twice about attempting to replace you with cheaper crew if said crew have proven to have an industrial backbone and know how to fight for a fair EBA.
You should be thanking your Tiger cousins.
:D:D

Is the AFAP the only industrial organisation with members at Tigerair?
Yes.

Seems like the Tiger boys and girls, joined one union (a pilot union with 3,500 members that negotiates EBA covering instruction, charter, chopper, and airlines) and used legal means to put pressure on their employer, to become the best paid A320 pilots in the region.

The tiger pilots used the KISS principal and got a great result.:ok:

Why are fellow pilots looking to poke holes in that?:hmm:

Chimps CanGoTo Space
14th May 2014, 01:20
TIGER/JETSTAR A320 RATES 2014

TIGER CAPTAIN
Base $171,000 + EFA $140 + Retention $10,000
Estimated Earnings;
577hrs $181,000
682hrs $195,700
787hrs $210,000
900hrs $226,220

JETSTAR CAPTAIN
Base $163,418 + EFA $207.65 + Retention NIL
Estimated Earnings;
577hrs $163,418
682hrs $163,418
787hrs $163,418
900hrs $186,882

TIGER FO Level 3
Base $114,570 + EFA $70 + Retention $6,667
Estimated Earnings;
577hrs $121,237
682hrs $128,587
787hrs $135,937
900hrs $143,847

JETSTAR FO Level 3
Base $106,222 + EFA $134,97 + Retention NIL
Estimated Earnings;
577hrs $106,222
682hrs $106,222
787hrs $106,222
900hrs $121,473

TIGER FO Level 2
Base $109,440 + EFA $70 + Retention $6,667
Estimated Earnings;
577hrs $116,107
682hrs $123,457
787hrs $130,807
900hrs $138,717

JETSTAR FO Level 2
Base $98,051 + EFA $124.59 + Retention NIL
Estimated Earnings;
577hrs $98,051
682hrs $98,051
787hrs $98,051
900hrs $112,129

TIGER FO Level 1
Base $94,050 + EFA $70 + Retention NIL
Estimated Earnings;
577hrs $94,050
682hrs $101,400
787hrs $108,750
900hrs $116,660

JETSTAR FO Level 1
Base $89,880 + EFA $114.21 + Retention NIL
Estimated Earnings;
577hrs $89,880
682hrs $89,880
787hrs $89,880
900hrs $102,785

TIGER & JETSTAR both require you to be type rated on A320 before you start. It would be smart to budget 2 months without pay for endorsement & a start date.

JETSTAR type rating approximately $38,000. TIGER don't mind where you source your type rating (significant saving possible).

JETSTAR A330/B787 add approximately 10 percent to A320 wages.

CAUTION - All new starters with JETSTAR are "flex-time". Flex-time is a 75% salary & overtime threshold drops from 75 hrs to 62 hrs. Full time is offered once a percentage cap is reached (10%). Time to full time is anyones guess with movement slowing this year.

JETSTAR EBA is expired and pilots have been told the QF group pay freeze applies until the group returns to profit.

Could someone confirm or disprove the rumour that JETSTAR NZ pilots now make more than JETSTAR AU?

Roger Standby
19th May 2014, 05:28
Might I suggest they start wearing red ties?

arrow28
24th May 2014, 00:58
By the way what determines Tiger Level1,2 or 3 salary scale.

If one obtained a position with Tiger with over 5000 hours total and over 2500 jet and a 1000 hours command on jet aircraft with a MTOW of over 40K. what level would he commence on.

Regards

arrow

morno
24th May 2014, 06:10

Years of service determine the level.

morno