PDA

View Full Version : Now THAT's a neat knife edge...

paulo
15th May 2002, 09:58
More ultra low, ultra slow trickery from Jurgis Kairys. Aerobatics where you spectate from above ... amazing.

Kairys' Knife Edge (http://www.sasaki.cc/motegi2/flights/jur_show8.avi)

Danza
15th May 2002, 10:45
Nice, but I've just got one question and excuse me if there is an obvious answer, but how does he get away with flying so close to what looks like the crowd line?. It looks like it was filmed along a drag strip with people in the stands (Not wanting to be a kill-joy but what are regulations about this?). :confused:

paulo
15th May 2002, 11:37
I'm sure here in the West he'd never be allowed the flamboyance that he gets away with in, say, his native Lithuania, or Japan where he has a big following.

Personally, I think at his level - a bit of a legend in freestyle - he's as much danger to life doing that as I am flying a circuit. I'd be more happy to sit in that audience watching Kairys than to be stood at a fly in whilst some weekend warriors pull a few cheeky 'moves' for the crowd (see other thread).

Ironically, the biggest trouble Kairys seems to have ended up in was having tobacco sponsors logos for his 'Ten Bridges of Vilnius'. The Lithuanian PM - an ex aeros champ himself - kindly paid the fine for him :-)

For Kairys' fans though, sadly it looks like it's all over. Some time just over a year ago he said he was going in to politics. Maybe that'll be the last we'll see of the man was probably one of the best ever freestyle pilots in the world.