PDA

View Full Version : Transponder Mandatory Zones

fireflybob
2nd Feb 2014, 18:22
Talking about UK only.

Is mode S required for flight in Transponder Mandatory Zones - have searched high and low in UK AIP but haven't been able to come up with anything.

Am thinking of Stansted but would be interested in knowing where other TMZs are located in the UK.

References to support any answers would be appreciated.

On a slightly different tack when is Transponder Code 7010 used?

Thanks for all assistance.

AirborneAgain
2nd Feb 2014, 21:02
Yes, you need mode S.

UK transponder requirements are found in AIP UK GEN 1.5 paragraph 5.3. TMZ requirements are in 5.3.2.1 (f). A listing of TMZ's are in 5.3.2.2.

There are exceptions which are listed in 5.3.4.1.

ShyTorque
2nd Feb 2014, 21:14
Here's a useful link:

Welcome to the Light Aircraft Association (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/Consultation/ModeS%20Sub%20Docs/New_Rules.html)

Squawk code 7010 is when under VFR in a TMZ unless in ATC contact and given something else. I presume this is not needed if there is an existing "Listening Squawk" for the unit concerned and you do not request a clearance, i.e. fly with Mode S.

Some offshore installations, such as wind farms, also have a TMZ.

chevvron
3rd Feb 2014, 08:40
Modes A or A+C allowable if you contact the relevant ATC unit, in the case of Stansted that's Farnborough 132.8.
Shy Torque is wrong about 7010. It's for use in an airfield circuit (but not departing) when required by the airport operator.

ShyTorque
3rd Feb 2014, 09:17
Oops, yes, my mistake on the 7010 code. :O

fireflybob
3rd Feb 2014, 11:54
Many thanks for the feedback.

about 7010. It's for use in an airfield circuit (but not departing) when required by the airport operator.

I went to Sandtoft at the weekend (part of their ATZ is in Doncaster airspace) and there is a note in the AIP whichs mention 7010 and to see AIC 7/2009 which is no longer current!