PDA

View Full Version : Caution, Wake Turbulunce

RobShan
1st Feb 2014, 23:57
What pilots do differently after receiving a "Caution, wake turbulence" warning, if anything?

esreverlluf
2nd Feb 2014, 00:07
Maybe just sweat a bit more - particularly if behind a "Dugong".

Seriously though, I do request extra wake turbulence separation behind an A380 when there is minimal crosswind. Have been caught in A380 wake (in a 747) and it was not pleasant - hate to think wht it might do to a A320 or 737.

galaxy flyer
2nd Feb 2014, 01:07
Fly one dot high on the glide slope, note touchdown rubber smoke, touchdown beyond that point. Behind any large jet!

RobShan
2nd Feb 2014, 06:05
Thank you for the replies, I had forgotten reasonably size jet aircraft are not immune from wake turbulence from larger aircraft.

Probably the situation I had more in mind was where a small Cessna up to a SAAB 340 is maintaining their own separation crossing behind something like B737/A320, not following it.

Intruder
2nd Feb 2014, 11:49
Fly one dot high on the glide slope, note touchdown rubber smoke, touchdown beyond that point. Behind any large jet!
Nope!

If you fly a dot high, you will put YOUR wake right on the glide path for the next airplane. Since the wake vortex goes DOWN and out, staying ON the glide path is best.

If you think you're so close that you want to "Fly one dot high", then go around and ask for more separation.

mad_jock
2nd Feb 2014, 18:15
I don't think there will be much problem with wake vortex off a Saab 340 or a Cessna light aircraft.

I do it all the time in my TP behind Mediums I have never yet had any complaints from the medium or heavy that is 3 miles up my backside behind me.

akaSylvia
14th Feb 2014, 12:46
Here's a detailed answer with video example and all :)

How To Avoid Wake Turbulence | Boldmethod (http://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly/aerodynamics/how-to-avoid-wake-turbulence/)

West Coast
15th Feb 2014, 03:04
If the flight attendants aren't already seated, call them to ensure they are seated. Some bring on continious ignition. Think about recovery procedures. Try to determine if the acft ahead is above a normal vertical path.

Capot
15th Feb 2014, 10:11
Depends on what you are flying and what's in front; from personal and terrified experience if you are approaching in an Auster at least 2 minutes (ie plenty of room) behind a fastish jet (think 1960s) at Shawbury (with PPO) and do not wish to be rolled 90++ degrees to starboard at about 500 feet AAL, you do an an immediate turn either way and rejoin the base leg 5 minutes later.

As it was I got away with it, just, but needed new underwear.

bcgallacher
15th Feb 2014, 12:18
In the 1960's when I did a Flying Scholarship at Scone my instructor gave me a lesson in the results of wake turbulence. A C 47 was in the circuit with gear problems and he got me to slide in behind him assuring me he knew what he was doing.In a fraction of a second without warning I was looking at the trees above my head through the Chipmunk canopy - never forgot it.