PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in Australia

gooddaysir
31st Jan 2014, 09:04
I'm sure you'll work out in the following writings that I am a pre-PPL student pilot but I am seriously exploring the idea of going somewhere hot for a month or two (Australia during their summer months), and just flying full time at whatever flight school is cheapest. Im training on tomahawks so would I need to do a type rating onto a 172 or whatever

I don't have a problem with staying in cheap accommodation, so would a provincial flight school outside one of the main cities be a good idea? Does anyone know what type of aircraft they fly out there?

Ive heard good things about the costs of renting light aircraft in Australia

Obv looking to hourbuild for a Cpl in the next 5 years or so

Good idea bad idea?

tecman
31st Jan 2014, 13:23
If you come to WA in summer, you can certainly experience plenty of hot weather. A fairly comfortable location might be the South West and you could do worse than check out the Bunbury Aero Club. I'm not a member but I drop in occasionally. They are a friendly lot, with good instructors. C15x and C172, as well Tecnam Sierras and high wing Tecnam. You can train and fly in either a GA or RA Aus environment. Costs are not nearly as high as Perth, or some other places I see mentioned in current threads. Pleasant enough town, in a very pretty location.

Lots of other country aero clubs around Australia also have good aircraft at OK prices. Don't personally know of anyone still using a PA38s but plenty of Archers etc around.

(I like Traumahawks and I'm sure someone else could point you in the right direction if you want some continuity. But maybe just do a simple conversion up-front).

gooddaysir
31st Jan 2014, 14:04
yeah I was probably going to do a couple of conversion ratings anyway, once I get my licence. the school im with over here has a few tecnams theres the 2002 and the 2006 light twin that they do the MEIR in as far as I know.
fantastic-looking things.

thanks for the reply

gsy boy
1st Feb 2014, 08:49
Hi, I did my hour building at Minovation, Jandakot Perth, not sure if they are still going, I did it on an Arrow, the conversion and CASA paperwork were painless, this was in 2004 though and the exchange rate was amazing, I could fly the arrow for half the price of a Cherokee back home.