PDA

View Full Version : Nav Plotters

Ian_Wannabe
30th Jan 2014, 11:01
Hi,

My trusted square nav plotter that saw days in San Diego, Leeds and the North West of England has seen its last route and faded away...

I was just looking at plotters on Transair and there seemed to be quite a few that offered extra things like divert figures, speed/time etc.

Anyone got any thoughts and preferences for what works best for them?

BackPacker
30th Jan 2014, 12:21
Anything that can measure angles and lines will do for me

For angles, it's useful to have an 180-degree offset scale on the instrument as well, where 180 degrees is due North. For lines, a ruler that measures in nm, on the scale of your chart (usually 1:500 000) is easiest. But even a piece of string works, since the scale is on the map itself, and you can also use the side of the map (degrees and minutes of latitude) to measure the distance.

Speed/time conversion scales on the ruler themselves are pretty useless, since ETE is influenced by wind. So a straight time/distance conversion scale on the ruler is only useful in nil wind conditions. Any time there is wind (basically all the time) you need to work out your GS first, which requires a flight computer of some sort (analog or digital), and who will do the ETE calculation anyway.

For diversions, I'm typically too busy to look start breaking out toys like rulers and protractors. The upper part of my thumb is 10 nm/5 min, I guesstimate the direction and for the rest I'll either use GPS, radar vectors or "I follow roads, rivers and railways".

Whopity
30th Jan 2014, 13:58
The best one is the original Douglas Protractor Ref AM 6B/47. If you look carefully, the inner scale is calibrated anticlockwise starting 10, 20, 30 etc. Many of the cheap copies are calibrated 170, 160, 150 etc. As most people don't know what that scale is for, its probably of little consequence.

http://www.47airnavigationschool.co.uk/images/Douglas.jpghttp://www.vippilot.com/img/product/P015.jpg

airpolice
30th Jan 2014, 22:18
The Brady Rule

Home Page (http://bradyrule.com/)

This takes a bit of beating.

The GA version has all that you could want.

http://bradyrule.com/files/brady-rule-600.jpg

3 Point
30th Jan 2014, 22:38
The inner scale on the Douglas protractor is one of the simplest and most brilliant inventions ever and allows you to measure bearing lines on the chart directly without drawing the line. It also allows you to place the protractor on the chard and use the edge to plot a bearing line from a point or to draw in a track and measure off its true track directly all in one go.

You can also use the square lines on it to act as a parallel rule.

Those crappy ones with the 180 out scale are obviously designed and produced by someone who does not know what the real Douglas protractor is for.

:=:=

I did use the Brady Rule but found it a little "busy" and also the construction was somewhat flimsy. I remember seeing many of them broken and taped up with sticky tape. Also, people used to cover them with clear Fablon to strengthen them. Perhaps the new ones are more robust - I hope so.

Happy landings!

Ian_Wannabe
3rd Feb 2014, 15:00
Brady Rule looks complicated but I'm sure it would be worth a look into.

I think I'm getting old.. these things seem to interest me quite a bit!

RTN11
3rd Feb 2014, 17:07
I've always used this

Transair TRNP 1 Radio Navigation Plotter (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Navigation-Plotters-Transair-TRNP-1-Radio-Navigation-Plotter+9422)

and it's great, does everything, is smaller than the square plotter, and has a decent ruler. Also useful for plotting position fixes if VFR.

mad_jock
4th Feb 2014, 05:18
I always use the edge of my pen and a convenient vor rose.

If pen is broke then finger has sufficed in the past, and obviously thumb tip to knuckle does the distance measuring.

My first and only nav plotter met its end scraping the ice off my car window. A function which it had been used for more than its intended one.

Desert185
4th Feb 2014, 17:20
mad_jock

Old-school. I like it...and my iPad. :ok:

mad_jock
4th Feb 2014, 17:49
and my iPad

Bit of an over kill just to get a straight edge but what ever floats your boat.

Ian_Wannabe
5th Feb 2014, 11:17
I'm with you...gotta get use of of your ipad, I know I paid enough for mine!

mad_jock
5th Feb 2014, 11:34
So what they like for scraping ice off your car window? ;)

Heston
5th Feb 2014, 12:09
Old man Vs. iPad.flv - YouTube

very versatile things iPads :)

Desert185
5th Feb 2014, 12:57
So what they like for scraping ice off your car window?

I'm sure someone will publish an app for that. :cool:

Sent via iPad Air EFB, substituting for plotter, GPS, laptop, straight edge, Facetime with granddaughter, weather/flight planning/filing device and lightweight, all-around information gathering device. :D

Wish I had it at the airline, instead of carrying worldwide Jepp coverage. Of course, I was younger then and my back didn't know any better. :ok: Cheaper and more practical than a new Garmin Panel Gizmo, too. :ok::ok:

mad_jock
5th Feb 2014, 13:19
only teasing about the Ipad stuff.

I don't have one but I have a kindle fire so at least I have tunes.

I have never really need anything more than a pen and finger or thumb.

What ever floats your boat.

Better an Ipad than those stupid bloody :mad::mad: see through VOR rose things. I don't know why but they always make my blood boil when I see them. Then I find out what they are charging for the stupid things and it makes matters worse.

dubbleyew eight
5th Feb 2014, 13:27
whopity do you know what the hole in the centre of the douglas protractor is for?

mad_jock
5th Feb 2014, 13:40
sticking a pin through to secure it on a chart plotting board

Desert185
5th Feb 2014, 18:56
FWIW, I still carry a plotter and a CR-3. My dividers were confiscated by TSA even though I was in uniform, while explaining that those were issue tools required for my job. Apparently, the crash axe in the cockpit was OK...:ugh:

:mad: