PDA

View Full Version : Index 'w' for adiabatic skin temperature

hvogt
29th Jan 2014, 18:41
With a recent thread in Tech Log in mind, I read up about aircraft skin temperature in Torenbeek, E. and Wittenberg, H. (2009) Flight Physics, Springer. On pp. 503-504, the adiabatic skin temperature is referred to as T_w_ad (the underscores in lieu of subscript). No prizes for guessing the 'ad' stands for 'adiabatic', but what does the 'w' signify? Any ideas?

Mad (Flt) Scientist
30th Jan 2014, 02:50
I'll offer two guesses - "wall" (in reference to the fact that the skin is perhaps being modelled as the wall of the volume with the fluid in it) - or "wet" (in the sense of "wet bulb" temperature).

I have no strong basis for justifying either - they are simply guesses as to what it might be.

For example, this link (http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02133600#page-1) uses the term "adiabatic wall temperature"

hvogt
30th Jan 2014, 08:58
Thank you, Mad (Flt) Scientist. You're right, it must be 'wall'. There is even a hint in the text: "If no heat is transferred to the wall [...]". I wonder why I didn't see that.

john_tullamarine
30th Jan 2014, 20:29
Does the reference not contain a suitable list defining terms used ? If not, that would be a tad unusual.

hvogt
30th Jan 2014, 20:55
Thanks, John. The term itself is clear and properly defined in the text. I was just wondering why the 'w' was used as an index and not any other letter. As Mad (Flt) Scientist has said, it is 'w' for 'wall'.