PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys re mosturize when flying in day time with sun exposure?

WhySoTough
28th Jan 2014, 09:38
I'm just curious about this matter.
Ofcourse when the sun is not hitting you right at the front of your face it's okay, but other times when flying directly where the sun is shining in front of you, it can be really harsh on the skin, do you guys re mosturizer atleast your face?

Do pilots tend to wrinkle and look older than others at their age?
Do you use anything to help yourself?

Just curious really.
Surely the female pilots care about this a lot more.

Thanks guys

M-ONGO
28th Jan 2014, 09:53
Do pilots tend to wrinkle and look older than others at their age?

Take a look at the guy on your left, next trip. He's only 40...

Take some newspapers with you to hang from the Rosen rail!

Tu.114
28th Jan 2014, 09:55
What good does a moisturizer do against what is in fact radiation damage? And I mean "real" good, not just covering up a wrinkle here and there while burning a hole in your pocket?

Nothing, thatīs what.

Old Fella
28th Jan 2014, 10:01
WST, you are winding people up, right. I do remember re-humidifiers in the cockpit aircon and spray packs of Evian-water being issued, but skin moisturiser!!!. Maybe some foundation material and powder puffs too???

TypeIV
28th Jan 2014, 10:07
beer :8

The easiest way to see if someone has passed 10-15k hrs or not is by looking at their left arm, usually it reminds me of aligator skin. Brown, pink and lighter colour variations in different patterns.

I know a couple of captains who has had skin cancer but I don't know if the percentage is bigger compared to the rest of the population. But I doubt it is very healthy.

Considering that you have 8 night flights, 5 earlies 8 evening flights every month mixed up, having your dinner anywhere between 1600lt and midnight, not doing any proper excercise, exposure to radiation etc you are likely to age alot quicker than normal :E

WhySoTough
28th Jan 2014, 11:40
M-ONGO,

True in a lot of cases I guess.
Notice the unhealthy ones that don't watch the diet at all and smoke like chimneys usually tend to look much much older.
Know a few life guards that are out in the sun for hours for over 8-10 years that still look pretty young.
I guess it all goes down to how much you try and look after it, that's why I asked if generally pilots do.

Tu.114,

Surely it will help I would reckon, but suit yourself.

TYPE IV,

Sleep is not relevant to aging so long as you get the adequate sleep in the day.
I agree a lot of pilots don't excerise or care really, not to mention drink like fish and in some cases smoke like a chimney.
Seen so many that just sit with the sun hitting them not even trying to cover up or use the shades.

Just wanted some insight on people that have been trying to keep the exposure under control and feel like they're doing a good job..

RVF750
28th Jan 2014, 15:43
..I've been looking for a supplier that makes Pilot Shirts with one short and one long sleeve. No luck so far.

glendalegoon
29th Jan 2014, 13:15
I think the wesson oil parties on the overnights take care of that.

(and yes, I'm kidding)

One Outsider
29th Jan 2014, 15:59
Short sleeve shirts are for mailmen and Milton Waddams. And before anyone starts with "but long sleeves can snag on the throttles!" they should know that any decent shirt is supplied with a gauntlet button.

cavortingcheetah
29th Jan 2014, 19:36
Rather like condoms which are date stamped, which you'd know if you had to roll yours down far enough, wearing your shirt cuffs rolled up one width, cowboy style, takes care of the power levers at the same time as exposing either your Rolex or your Medic Alert bracelet.

ShyTorque
29th Jan 2014, 19:48
Where I fly it never stops raining so lack of moisture is the least of my worries.

Piltdown Man
29th Jan 2014, 20:35
Moisturize? Are you kidding? You'll soon be asking me if I have a manbag or what kind of mascara I use. An no, I don't shave my intimate areas nor wear lipstick. Sunglasses (and the windshield, airframe and clothes) are sufficient protection and beer is a good re-moisturiser.

redsnail
29th Jan 2014, 20:46
Yep, wear a block out/moisturiser every day, often a stronger one when in Summer.
Also use a block out on the back of my hands too. I do use L'Occitane hand moisturiser. It's really good and non greasy.
Lip balm with block out etc. (yes I know about the risks of balm and Oxy masks).

Skin cancer is a worry, had a few little things taken off my arms already.

Being female it's not so much of an issue. ;)

Capt Claret
29th Jan 2014, 21:37
Being female it's not so much of an issue. ;)

Thank gawd I'm a bloke is all I can say!

ps. Reddo, moving to HBA middle of the year!

cavortingcheetah
30th Jan 2014, 04:47
Those who use sun block, a very wise thing to do, should not neglect their ears, behind their ears especially and necks, particularly if often engaged in north south flight routes, sun to one side and so to the other.
One side, smoothed with factor 50, depending upon route and seat will suffice to ward off a malignant melanoma. There is no real cure for metastasised melanoma cancer only surgical intervention and the plastic surgeon can only dig so deep into the body.

Artie Fufkin
30th Jan 2014, 07:31
I was under the impression flight deck windows had a UV filter in them. I certainly read this to be true when researching which sunglasses to buy. Never used any sunblock and never received any tan or burn from the sun in the cockpit.

edit in fact here it is (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=9244). The CAA reckon cockpit windows are designed to block UV light.

No to moisturisers, yes to lots of crew water.

redsnail
30th Jan 2014, 07:43
That may be true but not being long haul still means time spent on the ramp in bright sunshine. ;) I'm an Aussie and have been bombarded with the sun safe message for 30 years. Also I don't like wrinkles. :E

FlyFree
1st Feb 2014, 20:12
Yeah ok,

I'm one "of those", that smoke, and enjoy it, and of course the beer...

When people guess my age,they always guess 10 years less than what I am.
I have never, ever put any cream, or lotion or lubricantes on any part of my body...

I do " man-trim "....:ok: