PDA

View Full Version : Atpl evolution and Imc credit?

PitotBlockage
27th Jan 2014, 13:06
Hi Guys,

Not a new guy, Used to have an account years ago but forgot the login, Anyway,
Basically I have an EASA PPL with Night rating, 130 hours ( 15 hours Complex ) and ATPLs passed and lapsed in 2008. Had a lay off but just done LPC.

I have decided as the age of 38 is rattling its way up to me and my finances that I am never going to fly anything big but I do wish to one day get my instructors rating on a CPL. So I have formed a plan and have 3 questions.

1) I already have decent full time work so I would be over the moon if I could reach my goal in 2 or 3 years and could instruct maybe 60 hours a year part time freelance. ( I'm already self employed and accountant says no problem ) Does anyone think in the current climate this is unrealistic? If it takes 10 years to repay my courses the so be it.
( I am not here to undercut any full time instructors or steal their work, I know its a sensitive subject).

2) I am guessing the ATPL theory has evolved since my passing with Bristol GS in 2005. Will I get away with the minimum sized course like the one CATS do online? the cheapest option the better. I would have just done the CPL exams but it now appears they are the same course minus 1 exam.

3) I intend during my next 45 hours building to do my IMC. Would I be better holding off as I heard years ago that less training is needed for the issue of an IMC if the pilot has a CPL. I'm hoping in the same way the CPL/ME is done. Is this still the case under EASA? was it ever the case? Is there an efficient cost option to achieve my target CPL with IMC prior to starting a FI rating? Obviously the sooner I do it the safer I should be however as everyone is aware finance is a HUGE issue in aviation and to myself.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

S-Works
27th Jan 2014, 21:33
You don't need a CPL to be paid as an FI and as you have passed the ATPL exams you have demonstrated the required CPL knowledge.

Therefore you can go directly to an FI.

3 Point
28th Jan 2014, 08:38
Agree with what Bose said except I think he missed your statement of your total hours. You already meet the requirements for the FI course except that you must have 200 hours of which 150 must be PIC. You may also need to do the 300Nm triangular cross country - check your log book as you may already have done this in the past. All the requirements are in CAP 804 under FCL.915

Given your long lay off you might want to consider some consolidation and personal development flying to take you up to the required total. Take an aerobatics course; get really familiar with stalling, slow flying and spinning. Try a tailwheel conversion. Do some flying into short farm strips.

Once you have the hours and are fully up to speed and confident in your own aircraft handling then go straight to the instructor course and good luck with it.

Happy landings

3 Point

S-Works
28th Jan 2014, 17:07
Well spotted three point. I read it as PIC but you are quite correct!!

PitotBlockage
30th Jan 2014, 19:19
Hi Guys,
Apologies for delay, Ive been working away.

Bose & 3 Point, many thanks for your replies. :ok: I didnt realise that under the EASA rules you could now be paid for Instructing with a PPL. This is great news. I have searched the CAP 804 and eventually found this information. This is brilliant and saves a whole chunk of cash and time to reach my goal. The plan I have now is to increase my hours ( 130 was total time, approx 80 PIC, sorry I should have said ) by doing my IMC and Aerobatic which I believe will add around 23 to 25 hours and I hope make my PPL flying top notch. Then build up to the 200/150 needed. Thanks 3 point, I have looked and no I haven't done QXC yet.

However before I get too giddy, I appreciate that you know the system more than I but i was always led to believe that if you passed ATPL exams as I did in 2005 that If you didn't pass CPL or IR in 3 years then they had to be done again. I assumed by this that the same would apply for the FI course. If this is the case Its a shame the don't tell you anywhere. I really didnt know they still had any value. I just assumed id wasted my 4 grand and couldn't do anything with them. Hence why I stated they had lapsed. Are they still good after 9 years? Especially as they were JAR - ATPL's

Thanks for your help guys, Kinda made my week so far :)

3 Point
30th Jan 2014, 22:21
The ATPL theory exam passes are time limited if you are intending to qualify for the issue of a CPL or ATPL but, the requirement for the issue of an FI rating just says that you must have "met the requirements for CPL theoretical knowledge".

There is no stated time limit for that and so you have met the requirement; it doesn't matter that the exams you passed are now time expired for other purposes, they are still valid for issue of an FI rating.

3 Point