PDA

View Full Version : Facial Hair

Metro36
23rd Jan 2014, 20:10
Hi
I tried to grow a neatly trimmed beard for "Movember" last year (Not the handle bar type!)
I was told in no uncertain terms by the Chief that I was to remove it.
A few blokes within the Company have had "goatees" for years.
Just wondering if anyone knows the real reason why pilots can be told not to sport a Mo (or a neatly trimmed beard)
Reason being is that I liked it and want it back.
Thanks in advance for any reply :confused:

sycamore
23rd Jan 2014, 20:21
Tell him you`ve got shaving rash..may need a Doc`s chit though...

Di_Vosh
23rd Jan 2014, 20:43
G'day,

You're obviously not a Qlink pilot then, as we're allowed to have a beard as long as it's neatly trimmed and as long as you grow it during your annual leave (so you can't pass off your laziness to shave on an overnight as "I'm growing a beard"). ;)

Just wondering if anyone knows the real reason why pilots can be told not to sport a Mo (or a neatly trimmed beard)

IMHO, it's just a hang-over from the "tradition" of pilots, uniforms, etc from the forties and fifties.

DIVOSH!

macdo
23rd Jan 2014, 20:56
Beards not a problem with our lot. They do ask that you do the scruffy growing bit when you're on leave!
Can be an issue for the O2 mask fit, dependent on mask type.
Oh, I forgot, the last time I did grow one, some numpty on the security screen insisted that the clean shaven dude on my pass was not me! Had to get a manager down from the office to vouch for me and book in for a new pass. Ironically, I shaved it off a month later and used the bearded pic for another 2 years.:ugh:

Hotel Tango
23rd Jan 2014, 21:08
Neither Rumours nor News me thinks :rolleyes:

captjns
23rd Jan 2014, 21:22
Metro36 look to see if your company operations manual addresses personal appearence.

Huck
23rd Jan 2014, 23:05
The original theory was that the hairs would get saturated with oxygen, when operating with a mask on.

Then you run past a flame during evac and turn into Richard Pryor with a freebase pipe.