PDA

View Full Version : RVR for minima computation

J0ta
22nd Jan 2014, 11:36
Hi everybody.

Foggy days lately. Imagine an scenario when RVR is reported as 600 / 500 / 400.

How would you take your decision regarding a Cat I? Shall the three values be avobe 550m to start the approach, or could you use only the first one?

Thanks in advance!

737Jock
22nd Jan 2014, 12:02
For us absolute minima cat1 is 550/125/75 required. And only relevant midpoint and stopend needs to be taken into consideration, so if you don't use it you don't need to take it into consideration. So your example does not represent a problem at all.

You need to refer to your operations manual.

In anyway you can always start an approach, but you can't continue beyond the approach ban if you don't have the required RVR value.

chevvron
22nd Jan 2014, 17:25
I thought 'absolute minima' had gone out of the window since suitably equipped (HUD/FLIR) and approved aircraft were allowed to use 'Lower than Cat 1' minima of 300m at the approach end.

737Jock
22nd Jan 2014, 23:23
You can only use LTS if the airport is authorised as well.

And even non HUD/FLIR have LTS cat 1 minima, think its 400m for us. autoland mandatory.

Anyway LTS cat1, requires some work on the equipment ILS side. I believe Basically it needs to conform to CAT 3 standards.

Never had to do LTS cat 1.

OhNoCB
26th Jan 2014, 17:48
Flying something that doesn't use much runway (may be relevant) and our ops manual says that only touchdown RVR is required, I believe this is in accordance with EU OPS.