PDA

View Full Version : Good aircraft to own

Iceburg1
21st Jan 2014, 14:32
Hey

So I've been thinking of buying an aircraft one day and would like to go the permit to fly route. So does anyone have any suggestions for good aircraft in this category.

Desert185
21st Jan 2014, 14:41
No strong opinions here. :cool:

Determine what your primary reason for having an airplane is and then list some candidates that will fit the mission. Eventually, you will decide which is best for you considering performance, useful load, speed, range, maintenance, insurance, fuel costs, etc. My perfect airplane (C-185) may not suit your requirements.

Iceburg1
21st Jan 2014, 15:09
Well I like piper pa28 and Cessna's but the idea of a CofA that can cost up to £10k scares me. So I'd like a mice 4 seater aircraft (prefer yokes) that's on a permit

Barcli
21st Jan 2014, 15:21
I have had three Christen Eagles - sold the one I built , last year , and am missing it........:uhoh:

bingoboy
21st Jan 2014, 16:22
Permit is good in that you have more control over your maintenance costs; as to which type it's down to what you want from it, possibly how deep your pocket is and definitely which one you fall for.

AdamFrisch
21st Jan 2014, 16:28
There can be only one: Aerostar:ok:

Squeegee Longtail
21st Jan 2014, 17:39
Vans RV 7 or 8. Enough said.

Mark 1
21st Jan 2014, 17:59
Most PtF aircraft are 2 seaters and if you can compromise on that then there is much more choice.

Good 3/4 seaters on permit include Jodel 1050 or D140, RV10 if you can afford it, some Austers, other orphaned types like the Wassmer Pacific.

Forget about yokes, you'll easily convert to a stick and will probably get to prefer it.

Main issue is budget and possibly availability of hangarage. The Jodel 1050 is hard to beat for a 3 seater on a budget, but it needs a hangar. On the plus side it has a stick and a tailwheel :)

Maoraigh1
21st Jan 2014, 19:55
PtoF aircraft come in an enormous price range - and equipment level. I've been for 24 years a member of a Group owning a Jodel DR1050 -110kts cruise with a cruise prop, cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, reasonably cheap on fuel.
Is your budget £16,000 or £95,000? Look at AFORS and you'll see, for only £40,000 more than a Jodel, we could save 7 litres of fuel on every tach hour flown.
And will you need a full glass avionics fit, with the associated annual cost of Jepp data upgrades?

Jan Olieslagers
21st Jan 2014, 21:02
A good plane to fly is one that you like to fly and can afford to fly.
A good plane to own is one that you like to own and can afford to own.

ChampChump
21st Jan 2014, 21:43
First of all, think hard about whether you really need a 4 seater. In reality, many people find it easier to rent on the few occasions they want to fly a bunch at a time. Two seaters offer you a wider range, are more affordable (leaving more money for fuel :)) and are more manoeuvrable to boot.

Secondly, join the LAA as you'll have to anyway, make contact with your local Strut and cultivate the acquaintance of everyone you can with Permit a/c. There's a wealth of experience and knowledge to be had before you have to gain it all the hard way.

Thirdly, try reading threads such as this one
FLYER Forums ? View topic - Which permit aircraft??? (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75030&p=1033018&hilit=Permit+Aircraft#p1033018)

and

FLYER Forums ? View topic - Buying an aircraft (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83583&p=1175093&hilit=Buying+aircraft#p1175093)

and

FLYER Forums ? View topic - Considering owning a light aircraft... (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85440&hilit=Permit+Aircraft+3+seats)

Other threads on here, no doubt, but I remembered those threads first...and yonder can be found many active LAA members, possibly more than here (where there's a wider geographic base).

The important thing was already mentioned by a previous poster: decide on what you want to do.

I'd add, also: do you have hangarage available for a fabric-covered aeroplane if you get one? Do you have a LAA inspector lined up or will you be able to find one who knows about the sort of aeroplane you choose? The inspector is your friend, hopefully, but, moreso, mentor and God.

Also, your own experience may play a part. I see from other posts you have made that you are coming back in after a break, if I read it rightly. Getting recurrent might be the first priority while you consider your options.

Sorry to throw so many questions at you, but as you will see from those threads above, there are factors to be considered that could not only save you time, but also money.

And I hope you find the very right aeroplane and enjoy many, happy hours therein.

piperboy84
21st Jan 2014, 22:58
My perfect airplane (C-185) may not suit your requirements.

It would suit me to a T, if I could afford the gas!

Desert185
22nd Jan 2014, 01:07
Gamijectors result in 12 GPH and as low as 10 GPH up high, LOP. If it means anything, I once flew from Prince George to Whitehorse in five hours via the Trench. The top off was exactly 50 gal.

foxmoth
22nd Jan 2014, 03:26
As has been said, you need to define what you want more in terms of performance and budget. Personally I would love an RV7 or 8, aerobatic and fast tourer with a good load - but only two seats. If you want touring and four seats do you need four FULL seats or 2+2? For full, then RV10, 2+2 it would probably be Jodel1050 or Pup150. It may also be that you cannot afford your IDEAL aircraft by yourself in which case do you compromise on what you buy or maybe look at a share?