PDA

View Full Version : First Solo!!!

Andy_P
20th Jan 2014, 22:32
Yay, had to tell someone who cares (even if its just a little!)!!

Did everything right, just a little slow on late final! Its a little different with no instructor sitting next to you. I reckon I flew my best circuit ever.

Chase_BHX
20th Jan 2014, 22:36
Congratulations.

On Track
20th Jan 2014, 22:58
Well done.

Ahead of you there's an almost endless road with more milestones to pass.

Each achievement will bring immense satisfaction. Enjoy the journey.

Andy_P
20th Jan 2014, 23:07
Well done.

Ahead of you there's an almost endless road with more milestones to pass.

Each achievement will bring immense satisfaction. Enjoy the journey.

Next hurdle for me is getting the courage to master the incipient spin. I just could not bring myself to try it last time. If anything is going to hold me back, thats it.

Con_G
21st Jan 2014, 01:30
Congratulations, and although you will have more milestones along the path, the first solo is the most satisfying and the one flight you will never forget.

P.S nice to see a fellow aussie in this part of the forums.

BroomstickPilot
21st Jan 2014, 06:30
G'day Andy_P,

Congratulations on your first solo; that's the one flight above all you will remember for the rest of your life.

In regard to anti-spin training, I think this modern practice of training people, who have never experienced a spin, how to avoid something they have only read about is creating an irrational fear of even anti-spin training, not to mention the spin itself.

may I suggest that it would be a good idea to take just one flight with an aerobatics instructor in a proper aerobatic aeroplane and let him/her demonstrate a couple of fully developed spins. And then show you how spinning should be avoided.

Good luck Dig!

BP.

MyMeowCat
21st Jan 2014, 07:49
Congratulations Andy_P!

I found after your first solo the next several become less stressful.

I remember you had a thread up about what was holding you back (the whole flare thing)...did you ever figure out what were the issue(s) and what your cure(s) were??

Andy_P
21st Jan 2014, 07:57
G'day Andy_P,

Congratulations on your first solo; that's the one flight above all you will remember for the rest of your life.

In regard to anti-spin training, I think this modern practice of training people, who have never experienced a spin, how to avoid something they have only read about is creating an irrational fear of even anti-spin training, not to mention the spin itself.

may I suggest that it would be a good idea to take just one flight with an aerobatics instructor in a proper aerobatic aeroplane and let him/her demonstrate a couple of fully developed spins. And then show you how spinning should be avoided.

Good luck Dig!

BP.

Thanks.

The idea of doing a lesson with an aerobatic pilot has been in the back of my head for a while now. For me, I think it would be beneficial. In fact I think several hours would be better.

One of my instructors did a couple of incipient spins and it freaked me out. But then again, 2 weeks ago I was ****ting my self just letting go of the yoke. Today we did half a circuit (till base) with no hands on the controls, only rudder and trim, and I was totally at ease. That was an exercise to force me to relax.

FWIW, I am just shy of 40. 15 years ago there is no way I would even set foot in a jet aircraft, let alone a 4 seater! The only reason I got on a plane, was because it was either that or lose a job. The fear is totally irrational, I understand the aircraft from a technical perspective, and I know that a Cessna 172S is a very stable aircraft. So for me its just a matter of conquering those demons. I am pretty proud of where I am now, and it may take a while to get my PPL, but I will get there!

I was ****ting myself today. We did a full stop and the instructor said to taxi back out to the holding point. I thought we were going to practice an aborted take off! I was totally surprised when he jumped out. I guess I did not have time to take it all in at the time, but I was shaking after I landed. My first take off was the same!

Congratulations Andy_P!
I found after your first solo the next several become less stressful.

I remember you had a thread up about what was holding you back (the whole flare thing)...did you ever figure out what were the issue(s) and what your cure(s) were??

Yes, the main issue was fear and target fixation. I am a motorcycle rider, so I should know better. Been on the bike for a lot of years now, and the principles are the same. There is also a lot of other issues too, I am well aware of all of them.

So the problem is thus, and still is:

Fear: Death grip on controls. You cannot control a motorbike if you have a death grip. Same goes for aircraft. I have since learned to relax a lot. This is easier for younger people, cause they have less fear. On a gusty hot day, this is still a problem for me, but I am learning to deal with it. You have to relax and trim the aircraft, something I dont do enough of.

Throttle control: managing speed on final with the updrafts and downdrafts. Not so much of an issue when there is no wind and the air is cool. Our airport is at 07, typical wind is 040 or 140 depending on the time of year. Its coastal, so typically you take off over water, land over land. Lots of turbulence on base and final. This is still a big problem for me, I am having issues with crosswinds and updraft/downdraft. The instructor today said I almost have it sorted.

Target Fixation: Yup, sometimes I still look at the lines on the runway, not the horizon. Look where you are going. This will kill you on a motorcycle, and it will kill you in a plane also. Its such a simple thing, but so hard to accomplish at times. Its also heavily associated with fear ( a common factor with all my issues).

One thing that has helped, is that many times I wanted to do a go around and the instructors encouraged me to keep trying. Some resulted in poor landings, some resulted in go around. When solo, if I am not comfortable I will ignore any advice and go around though!

I must admit, a lot of ppl here pointed me in the right direction. Got to give some credit to Flare Pilot though!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
21st Jan 2014, 09:22
Congratulations! First solo is (certainly was for me) THE most significant step in flying. Far more significant than passing the GFT (I think they call it a 'skills test' now) as by the end of the PPL training you have got used to being 'pilot in command'.

As others have said, lots to learn ahead and lots of fun to be had learning it!

Steve6443
21st Jan 2014, 09:33
Congratulations, bet you won't stop smiling for a week, I know I didn't.

However as others have said, there will be other milestones, the next "big one" will probably be your first solo cross country, that is when you'll truly feel like a pilot, sitting alone, master of all you see, responsible for getting from A to B and back again.....

DeeCee
21st Jan 2014, 10:27
Andy - congratulations on your first solo! It is something that you will never forget.

Regarding incipient spins, I think that you may mean incipient stalls which are part of the PPL course.

enq
21st Jan 2014, 13:20
I'll add my congratulations to the pile - you just got the vote of confidence from your instructor that your standard of flying is god enough to undertake this important exercise as well as the confidence boost from actually proving your new skills to yourself.

I too suffered from squeezing the yoke far past the point at which it was giving me any useful feedback on the forces acting on the aircraft which makes an assessment of how to react to those forces (light touch / heavy correction) more difficult as you're relying more on visual input.

Strangely I too rode motorbikes (& quite frankly am not generally a great fan of heights).

I used to (and still do if I find the workload greater than usual) have to make a conscious effort to hold the yoke with finger tips rather than the whole hand - it improved things for me no end (apart from anything else it helps me relax & concentrate much better, particularly during the approach phase) & has the added advantage of not ending every flight with cramped hands.

Well done again. :)

Chase_BHX
21st Jan 2014, 20:08
Andy,

I would suggest make sure you fly again soon.

My first solo was 4th December and what with Christmas, work and weather did not fly again until today. Took three or four circuits with instructor (one go around) and although after the full stop landing he would have let me go solo again I was not sure. Did a final cicuit with him in the plane (and greased it).

I too used to hold the yoke tightly. One thing that helped me was when I was taught to keep the plane trimmed all the time. Feels like I'm trimming continuously in the circuit - climb, straight and level, 2 stage flaps on base and full flap on final - current instructor leaves carb heat on after downwind checks - so can need yet another trim but does mean only finger tips are needed to control the plane.

Would not worry about coming upto 40 - Life is just about to begin! I was given a trial lesson was for my 40th birthday and my next lesson was 12 years later.

Chris

Andy_P
21st Jan 2014, 21:50
Andy,

I would suggest make sure you fly again soon.

My first solo was 4th December and what with Christmas, work and weather did not fly again until today. Took three or four circuits with instructor (one go around) and although after the full stop landing he would have let me go solo again I was not sure. Did a final cicuit with him in the plane (and greased it).

I too used to hold the yoke tightly. One thing that helped me was when I was taught to keep the plane trimmed all the time. Feels like I'm trimming continuously in the circuit - climb, straight and level, 2 stage flaps on base and full flap on final - current instructor leaves carb heat on after downwind checks - so can need yet another trim but does mean only finger tips are needed to control the plane.

Would not worry about coming upto 40 - Life is just about to begin! I was given a trial lesson was for my 40th birthday and my next lesson was 12 years later.

Chris

I am back up tomorrow (thursday) then Sat,Sun and Mon. After that I have to have another knee op, so out for 4-6 weeks which sucks. When I get back to it, first thing I am going to do is go out an nail this incipient stall. Might track down an aerobatic mob first and do a couple of flights, not sure yet.

mary meagher
22nd Jan 2014, 06:20
By now, I trust you have flown by yourself several times, and are happy to get rid of the sadist in the right hand seat! Don't worry about interesting maneuvers, take the instructor with you and ask if you can just mess around at altitude in some safe location, getting the feel and the fun out of it.

As for stalls, incipient or full, any good landing (others will dispute this) is a STALL near the ground! in other words, your nose comes up until the wings no longer are effective at creating lift. So you've already done lots of stalls!

The cure to recover from a stall (which is what happens BEFORE it spins)
you know, of course. Don't you?

I recommend to avoid turbulence and thermals, fly first thing in the morning. Or try night flying! that's usually calm air, (unless thunderstorms are part of the forecast).

tecman
22nd Jan 2014, 10:48
Congratulations on the solo..the recollection really does stay with you forever! The white knuckles syndrome is definitely improved by disciplining yourself to hold the yoke with only two fingers, and consciously making yourself relax. After a while it becomes second nature.

In the Aust PPL you are officially doing incipient spin training - how to avoid a full spin based on the signals in fully developed stalls. As BroomstickPilot rightly says, it's rubbish. How are you going to recognize a spin if you don't ever experience it? Easy enough to find an instructor who can demonstrate the whole thing and appropriate recovery. There are people who can do a passable effort in getting a spin out of a C172 (with a bit of persuasion) but you might also find a willing local with a C15x or a 'proper' aerobatic aircraft. But anything is a lot better than nothing.

It doesn't need to be some arcane bolt-on to your training, either. No reason why you can't ask for some basic aeros as part of the PPL training. I was a bit hesitant at first but am eternally grateful to my instructor for taking this approach. It's a great developer of stick and rudder skills, and an excellent way of building confidence. Good luck!

Exiled Martian
22nd Jan 2014, 13:18
Hi Andy P

I'd like echo the others in wishing you a hearty pat on the back for going Solo mate. Congratz & wait till you topple the dual X-country Navs that lay ahead & go Solo on your qualifiers....Ear to Ear grin guaranteed:cool:

SidT
25th Jan 2014, 01:18
Congratulations and well done!

The only way is up!

er....

Until you want to land, then downwards (gently) is general considered to be a good way :)

JG321
25th Jan 2014, 13:19
Congratulations! If it weren't for the weather today I'd have my third hour! Feels like such a long way away I'll be able to post this, but I plan to enjoy the journey!

Andy_P
26th Jan 2014, 11:01
Congratulations! If it weren't for the weather today I'd have my third hour! Feels like such a long way away I'll be able to post this, but I plan to enjoy the journey!

Yeah, I had weather setbacks too. Did my first solo (circuit that is by the way). Went up 2 days later, low cloud at 600 feet, visibility near nil at the downwind end so did one low level check flight then landed... 2 days later managed another 0.7 hours solo before weather set in.

But today, 20 knots crosswind. So up with the instructor to practice crosswind landings. It was all going ok, but there was 2 helicopters spraying for mosquitos at the downwind. Its pretty typical in south east queensland, so we just do our thing and keep an eye on them and make sure your broadcast your intentions. I am on final, about 500feet and I pass over a helicopter. The wash pushes me up and screws up my approach. This is no problem, just go around. I was about halfway down the runway at about 200feet in the go around and I got hit by a massive gust that rolled the plane about 45 degrees. I tried to roll the plane back, but only with ailerons. Instructor took over immediately.

So the instructor said it was rotor wash from the second helicopter. Probably was, I dont know. But it rattled me enough to call it quits for the day. I am already a nervous flyer, and I worry that in a situation like that I would not be able to handle the plane. So now I am sitting here seriously doubting myself.

Anyway, got plenty of time to digest it all. I have surgery next week, so will be out of action for a while. Going to study for my BAK exam whilst I am out.

mary meagher
27th Jan 2014, 07:26
Yo Andy, helicopters are a pain in the butt because they follow no known rules. We had to put up with them at Wycombe Air Park. And when on approach in a glider, one hasn't the choice of going around or taking any dramatic evasive measures.....fortunately they were not bolshie crop spraying types, intent on completing their spray jobs rather than keeping their incredible wash clear of other airport users....

Which is the problem at your place. Have a chat with the management of the flying school, see if you can avoid helicopter traffic next time you fly. Wake turbulence is definitely to avoid. Don't fly too close to the rump of a 747 either, for that matter! (but at least these don't fly backwards!)

Crosswind landings can be tricky as well. But don't let this scare put you off, I think it shows commendable caution and a sense of your limits, which will be cured by experience.

Actually, are you too far away to visit any other flying school? which might have a quieter environment? or even, forgive me for mentioning it, a gliding club? in other words, as you are taking a break from flying anyhow, sample something different, and a different place, when you are ready to start flying again.

Don't worry, stay happy, have fun, that's what its about, really!

m.Berger
28th Jan 2014, 17:14
So you piloted a 'plane. One day it will feel normal. Nevertheless, it is a great thing to have done and every pilot on here knows the elation and wishes you well. Only about one in three thousand people have done it (Which is surprising considering all the pilots you now know!) The first cross country is the one that makes you feel like a pilot and the grin lasts for days.
Hearty congratulations; Welcome to the sky and best of luck with the surgery.

Andy_P
30th Jan 2014, 06:38
Thanks everyone.

Already over my little fright the other day. I know dealing with those situations will come with experience.

Surgery went well, however the surgeon has grounded me for 2 months. I thought it would be 2 weeks. Unfortunately this means I need to notify CASA and also means I need to be cleared by my DAME. Not going to jump the gun yet though, there is a slim chance I might be released to fly sooner!

Good time to get the BAK exam done and dusted I guess!

Is there any other tips on things I can do so I don't lose all the skills I have learnt so far?

thing
30th Jan 2014, 15:07
Is there any other tips on things I can do so I don't lose all the skills I have learnt so far? First of all congrats on the solo! Have imaginery conversations with yourself and ATC. I don't know what the score is in Oz regarding RT but just have a departure conversation or a zone crossing conversation with yourself while cracking a tinny.

By the way, I go to Bris every year for a month and looked into doing a conversion over there so I could rent a plane when on holiday. That was until I found out the cost...jeez you guys pay top dollar for flying, I'll never complain about the cost of flying in the UK again. I tried Archerfield and Redcliffe, where do you fly from?

Andy_P
30th Jan 2014, 21:01
First of all congrats on the solo! Have imaginery conversations with yourself and ATC. I don't know what the score is in Oz regarding RT but just have a departure conversation or a zone crossing conversation with yourself while cracking a tinny.

By the way, I go to Bris every year for a month and looked into doing a conversion over there so I could rent a plane when on holiday. That was until I found out the cost...jeez you guys pay top dollar for flying, I'll never complain about the cost of flying in the UK again. I tried Archerfield and Redcliffe, where do you fly from?

I fly out of Redcliffe. I like the instructors there, and its one of the cheaper places around. Its also convenient for me and allows me to get some flight time in before work. Not to mention, the 172's are all pretty modern.

No ATC at Redcliffe, its CTAF. We have to do some time at Archerfield eventually to learn all that stuff. I do my radio training in my motorcycle helmet on the way to and from work!

I have a British Passport, maybe I should come do some training over there if its cheap!

cockney steve
31st Jan 2014, 10:51
Yankeeland is , apparently, a lot cheaper than UK.......have a look at the "aeros" thread....it's about training, not aerobatics!
...so, how about posting the sort of prices you pay in Aus?

fuel, landing fees, instruction, aircraft hire ? we thing our prices are dear, yet thing hints that you are really getting your hat nailed on, over there!

Andy_P
31st Jan 2014, 11:15
I just pay a flat fee, $345/VDO hour GST included for a dual flight. Solo drops to $295. Current model Cessna 172. No landing fees. I think ground briefings early on in the training were $70 per hour.

PatrickF
3rd Feb 2014, 00:43
Andy_P - well done on the solo - enjoy those crosswinds on 07! Off topic but to answer thing - relative cost really depends where you are earning and the exchange rates which have been all over the place. That said the Americans seem to have low costs covered whenever. I got my PPL in Aus then spent 2000-2009 in the UK without doing a lot of flying but when I did it was a hell of a lot cheaper in Aus with the pound worth nearly 3 to 1 at some stages. Since then the pound has been as low as $1.5 in the last year but is now creeping back up towards 2. Now I'm back here and earning $ it doesn't matter. I fly a lot more here than I did in the Uk - the weather may have a bit to do with that.

I fly mostly at Redcliffe. The rates: Redcliffe Aero Club - Hire Rates[ Redcliffe Aero Club - Hire Rates (http://www.redcliffeaeroclub.com.au/aircraft_rates.html) ] So as a private hire I can do an hour in the cct at $253 on the tacho and it sets me back around $160, pretty good for a brand new Cessna. or if I want to go somewhere in a hurry I hire a Cirrus SR20 out of Archerfield at $305 on the VDO - don't know anywhere in the Uk I could do that for 160 GBP/hr all in.