PDA

View Full Version : Headsets

Baywatcher
12th Jan 2014, 21:50
Am about to but an ANR headset. Any opinions between Lightspeed Zulu and Bose?

OhNoCB
12th Jan 2014, 23:53
I bought the Bose because I was able to try one first and I liked it. I was unable to try the Lightspeed and didn't want the hassle of buying/returning. I have since had the opportunity to try the Lightspeed and I am happy with my choice as I prefer the Bose, I don't know if it is the materials, the design, the shape or the weight but it feels more comfortable to me. It is however more expensive.

Long and short of it, try both and pick which one you like the most.

Desert185
13th Jan 2014, 03:13
No contest for me. I've tried both, and after three hours the Bose gives me a headache. I have worn the Lightspeed Zulu for up to 12.5 hour flights without any discomfort. We have Bose on one of the company airplanes, but I take my Zulu to work...uh...flying. Work is wearing the Bose, but not everyone will agree. For the amount of money you're going to spend, better try both.

Our 185 has two Zulus. The wifey loves hers, too.

Baywatcher
13th Jan 2014, 05:14
Thanks for your replies. I had a Zulu on my 182 and was very happy with it except the battery holder was very flimsy and in fact one broke and I ended up with a piece of tape holding it together.

Have gone for the Bose

riverrock83
13th Jan 2014, 12:04
I tried both and preferred the comfort of the Lightspeed Zulu II.
Definitely worth trying yourself.

If you aren't in a hurry, the Zulu PFX is due out in Spring this year, priced above the Zulu II.

note - if you have an old headset there is a trade-up program on the Lightspeed website Lightspeed Aviation - Trade up your old headset for the latest innovations in ANR (http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/content/lightspeedaviation/CustomPages/tradeupprogram.htm)

Enjoy - which ever you choose!

Steve6443
13th Jan 2014, 16:01
The best advice I can offer is to go to your local headset dealer and try them on, I was going to buy a Sennheiser S1 but they sort of "perched" on top of my head, the Bose seemed to clamp my skull somewhat (but less than DCs do) and the Lightspeed were just perfect. It doesn't make sense to save a few euros and end up with an uncomfortable headset.

I've now had my Zulus just over 2 years now and never regretted it, streaming music over bluetooth is a boon when flying long legs solo - something you pay extra for with Bose. Also, Bose service can be a bit "hit and miss", what I've read from forum articles whereas Lightspeed have always been extremely helpful. As for flimsy - I can't agree with that statement, my Zulus look as new....

Baywatcher
14th Jan 2014, 09:52
Yes I have just received my Bose headsets and although I haven't used them yet, the Zulu was certainly a stronger looking headset!

India Four Two
14th Jan 2014, 10:42
One more vote for Zulu, both for the headset and service.

However, as others have said, you MUST try a headset before committing to it.

Torque Tonight
15th Feb 2014, 19:08
I've used a Zulu for about the last 3000 hrs, mostly airliner but also some quite noisy SEP. Can't recommend it highly enough, so much in fact that I've just treated myself to a Zulu 2. They're extremely comfortable and the noise attenuation is superb. Most old bold pilots I know have hearing loss, so a quality headset is a sensible investment. Also I never really appreciated how fatiguing constant background noise was until I tried these and the ANR reduces it to almost zero.

They are expensive but if you do enough hours it is a small price to pay. Lightspeed Sierras might be worth a look as a cheaper option.

One consideration is that with good noise attenuation you do lose some audio feedback from the aircraft such as the sound of engine speed, rotor RPM etc, however you do get used to the new levels quite quickly.

Andy_P
16th Feb 2014, 01:21
May I throw another into the mix? I have the Telex Stratus 50D. If your batteries run flat, they have enough passive attenuation to keep you sane, in fact they are so good that occasionally I even forget to turn on the noise cancelling.

I tried the bose, they are comfortable. Another guy at work has the zulu's and he reckons they are great.

riverrock83
17th Feb 2014, 08:47
Went into transair with my instructor. Tried both on. I preferred the Zulu, he preferred the Bose.
I know people who swear by one or the other.
As others have said - you really need to try them on.
To me the Zulus also give more for your money - but it is a lot of money either way!

Steve6443
17th Feb 2014, 15:14
To me the Zulus also give more for your money - but it is a lot of money either way!

Think of it this way - how long do you think you'll have your licence, how many hours will you fly? Then divide the purchase sum of your headset by this number of hours - you'd be surprised how small the difference between a mediocre and a good aviation headset is, in £ per hour.

Add to that the comfort - some headsets clamp your noggin so much, you'll have a headache after wearing them - and the fact that you're protecting your hearing, it's one piece of equipment I won't scrimp on......

Steevo25
17th Feb 2014, 15:54
I have both sets of headsets. The Bose was bought for me by my wife as a birthday present just after I passed my PPL, the Zulu was given to me by my brother-in-law when he failed his medical and was unable to fly anymore.

If I was just buying one for myself then it would have to be the Zulu for me.

Headsets do cost a lot of money and it is true that if you divide that by the number of hours it equates to a small amount. But even so, I do think that both are not really worth the price tag charged. They are good and probably at the high end of the best, but over £900 for a headset for what they are is overpriced. But that's the choice you have.

Having said all that, any headset is a very personal choice and what one person might find comfortable might be very uncomfortable for someone else.

Desert185
17th Feb 2014, 16:37
In the grand scheme of aviation related gizmos, gadgets and gas, a good fitting, effective ANR headset is worth every penny if you plan to fly more than a couple hours a day. In many cases it might even be tax deductible.

Zulu, and probably Bose, frequently offer trade-in discounts. Beg, borrow, steal, EBay a cheap headset and trade it in on the headset of choice (Zulu for me) and get a $200-300 credit on the trade in. Small price to pay for comfortable, hearing-protecting, clear communications I think. Checkout the company websites for any ongoing rebates.

18greens
17th Feb 2014, 22:16
I know you asked about Zulu vs Bose.

I tried both and went for a pair of DC13.4x which I love. After 10 years of instructing i'm sure they have saved me some significant hearing loss.Never tried them for 12 hours though. And they are robust. I've stuffed them into my flight bag every day without a protective outer shell and they still work, I don't think candidates 1 and 2 would suffer such punishment.

You also owe it to yourself to try the cannular option which seems to be the technophiles choice these days.

cooperplace
18th Feb 2014, 00:23
I'm thinking of buying a Faro G2 ANR headset. Yes I know Sennheiser, Bose, Lightspeed are probably better but they are 2x the price. I'd really appreciate the views of owners of the Faro G2.
I fly a single engine piston craft and it's a noisy cockpit. I want to preserve my hearing, and the el cheapo headset makes my head feel like it's been in a vise.

Thanks in advance.