PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatics - what is needed?

Korobkoff
12th Jan 2014, 10:51
Hi guys!

My dream is to do aerobatics with all those loops and spins.
My question is what is needed in order to do aerobatics? Now I live in Germany close to Muenchen and I can do here SPL or PPL.
Is there an additional licence I have to obtain in order to do aerobatics?
If yes, can I do it after SPL or PPL is required?

Thank you!

BackPacker
12th Jan 2014, 15:53
Under the new EASA rules there is an "Aerobatics Rating" which can be attached to an LAPL(S), SPL, LAPL(A) and PPL(A). You need to do a course of training at an organization that is allowed to provide those courses, and after some paperwork and perhaps a little exam you're free to go off on your own.

If you have a PPL(A) or LAPL(A) with an aerobatics rating, there is also a short conversion course to have it apply to gliders, and vice versa.

EASA has also set minimum experience hours before you can gain the rating. Most people consider these a bit over the top. From memory you need about 40 hours PIC (or 120 launches as PIC in case of gliders) before you can get the rating.

Oh, and obviously you need an aircraft capable of flying aerobatics. Most people think Extra-300s, Pitts Specials and that kind of stuff but honestly, the first few years you will probably have just as much fun in a Robin 2160, Decathlon or similar, and for maybe one third of the hourly price. For gliders the ASK-21 will do just fine, initially. (Though you might read up on what the ASK-21 spin kit does, if you want to explore the full capabilities.)

Korobkoff
12th Jan 2014, 22:17
Thanks a lot, man! That is the answer I've been searching for!

Just one clarification:
So, basicly, I can do aerobatics having just SPL, but, as far as I understand, it's hard to find a suitable (aerobatics) airplane which satisfies the SPL limitations?
(For the same Robin 2160 the stall speed is 85 km/h, while for SPL the maximum stall speed shouldn't exceed 82 km/h)
Or, still there are some airplanes capable to do aerobatics and meeting the SPL limitations?

BackPacker
13th Jan 2014, 07:20
We seem to have a different definition of SPL. Under EASA, the SPL is the Sailplane Pilot Licence, which is essentially a PPL-level licence, but for sailplanes. That's why I included the glider info in my post.

You seem to refer to a German national licence, maybe similar to the UK NPPL or Dutch RPL, which can only be used for microlights or something like that. In that case, EASA does not apply, since you'll be flying an "Annex II" or "non-EASA" aircraft, which will be administered under local law and authorities. This also implies that the EASA Aerobtics Rating is not applicable, only whatever is in your national law. And to the best of my knowledge none of the former JAR-FCL states, including Germany, have any form of formal Aerobatics Rating at this stage.

foxmoth
13th Jan 2014, 08:55
Not sure, but I think he might be referring to what here is an LSA, light sports aircraft.

BackPacker
13th Jan 2014, 10:59
I was thinking along the same lines. Are there any aerobatics-capable LSAs on the market in the first place? (Minimum +6/-3G & spin certified.) I have never seen any at competitions.

Korobkoff
13th Jan 2014, 11:45
Yes, guys, you are right, I've mixed up the things.
I was refering to SPL in the US (Pilot certification in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_certification_in_the_United_States#Sport_pilot)) which is equivalent to LSA. However, in Germany they also call it SPL.

So, as far as I understood, in order to do aerobatics, I need PPL anyway, right?