PDA

View Full Version : How do FBOs work?

mark_c
11th Jan 2014, 20:04
Hi, this may seem like a silly question, but how do FBOs work and what do they do??

I'm going to Florida to do some hour building in February and I've never flown in the US apart from an hours flight with an instructor. All my flying has been done here in Ireland where if you fly to an airfield other than your home field you just find a spot to park and away you go. I'm just unsure as to the way things are done in the states. Can someone who flies in the states give me a brief overview on what the FBO does and how to use them. What if I don't need fuel and I'm just making a quick stop for a bite to eat, can I just abandon the plane and head into the restaurant or is it a requirement to use the FBO? What are the average parking charges around Florida?

Thanks for your help :ok:

Silvaire1
12th Jan 2014, 01:58
Its not at all a silly question if you've never been there.

Things vary a bit depending on the size of the airport, but airports of all sizes in the US are typically government owned. There is usually public transient parking at no charge if you leave before nightfall. If you stay overnight, there is usually a small per night charge for the transient ramp.

FBOs are businesses that lease a plot of land from the government to sell fuel etc elsewhere on the airport property. FBOs vary in size and scope greatly, from shacks to Taj Mahals. The shack type might not be manned so your buy your fuel from a self serve pump. If nobody is around and parking arrangements aren't obvious you use good judgement and put it someplace where it probably won't get in the way. If somebody happens to be around when you return, you ask them nicely if you owe them anything and very often you don't.

On the other end of the spectrum are the FBOs where you taxi up to the fuel pumps under a jet sized awning, get out without exposure to sun or rain, and walk away to your rental car. They fuel the plane, park it where they want it, and you pay them when you get back. Prices vary, and at those kinds of places they have people in shorts and golf shirts to answer your questions.

And of course there is everything in between.

Big Pistons Forever
12th Jan 2014, 03:36
Go to the smaller airports around town, not the (expensive) downtown ones, and phone ahead to find out what the fees are.

mark_c
12th Jan 2014, 04:05
Silvaire1 thanks a million that is exactly what I was looking for! I'm sure it will all become clear after the first few places I visit, I just wanted to get a brief overview of what they do etc.

Cheers

EARSA
12th Jan 2014, 05:07
If you pick up fuel, they may/usually let you overnight for free. Most FBO's also have a courtesy car for you to go to town, the mall etc.

Lastly, they always have free popcorn, cookies and coffee. Not to mention eye candy.

Mark 1
12th Jan 2014, 05:11
Generally you needn't worry too much. There may be a ramp fee if you park overnight, but that's often waived if you buy fuel.

If it's a tower airport, ask for a progressive taxi to transient parking etc. and they'll call you turn by turn to where you need to go if you're not sure.

One tip may be to look the airport up on airnav.com and read the comments.

MrAverage
12th Jan 2014, 09:27
Be careful with courtesy cars. As an American your own car insurance will cover you, as a foreigner you'll probably be uninsured................

glendalegoon
12th Jan 2014, 12:08
and, drum roll please: FBO means Fixed Base Operator.

PLEASE use all resources. IF an airport is served by UNICOM or AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL ask for progressive taxi instructions to TRANSIENT PARKING>

OFTEN TIMES "TRANSIENT PARKING" is painted on the apron/ramp.

englishal
12th Jan 2014, 15:08
I flew a twin to Tucson and parked at the Jet Center FBO for two nights and 3 days. I did a bit of flying around the local area the second day and took on fuel from them (at not a vastly inflated rate). The aeroplane was looked after, they had free food and toilets with mouthwash in :} and were very friendly. When I came to leave I asked the lady if there was a ramp change...No charge she said :ok:

Palm Springs is another example, flew in there, they lent me a car for the day (FOC), I took on fuel, and when I came back, no charge.

In fact I don't think I have ever paid a "ramp fee" at any FBO. Santa Monica had a $200 fee for a Citation, but taking on fuel and it was waived.

I remember Carlsbad airport had a $3 over night fee in Transient parking, which was an honestly thing. You put it in an envelope and stick it in a post box. Almost all the other ones I have been to have been free.Essentially most US airports are free to the end user. I did once phone one up and ask if I could land (as in UK PPR). The guy on the phone was baffled..."of course you can land, this is an airport" :O

dublinpilot
12th Jan 2014, 15:28
Be careful with courtesy cars. As an American your own car insurance will cover you, as a foreigner you'll probably be uninsured................

A good point that I think many people don't consider.

I think in some states you can legally drive without insurance, but obviously that's very risky. In most states (if not all) it's illegal, and could lead to serious problems if caught.

BackPacker
12th Jan 2014, 15:45
I did my PPL in Florida (KISM) and in the later stages I did the full planning for a navigation flight to Sarasota, have lunch with a colleague of mine, and fly back. So I called a local FBO, told them I was a student pilot and would not need fuel, just parking for an hour or two, plus apron access. They would not charge me anything for that.

In the end my colleague had left on a business trip so the flight did not happen, but it was good to know that you can just call up an FBO and chat with them about your needs.

Jan Olieslagers
12th Jan 2014, 17:01
Am I right in assuming FBO a USA-only (or at least USA-mostly) term?

Any good example of (something like) an FBO outside them US of A?

Cobalt
12th Jan 2014, 18:01
In Europe, at small airfields the FBO function (providing parking space, fuel, and services around the aircraft) is normally performed by the airfield itself, but with no real service provided.

At larger airfields, the handling agent is doing all of the above, so that would be the equivalent, although handling agents tend to be focused on business jets and above, and price accordingly.

englishal
12th Jan 2014, 18:57
Harrods Aviation at Luton is an FBO

Many countries have FBOs, some of them are large companies that are multinational - like Signature which you find all over the place.

Essentially they are just "Handlers" so I suppose Bournemouth Handling is an FBO.