PDA

View Full Version : OPC & Non-UK examiner briefing

Capt. Spock
8th Jan 2014, 06:07
Hello,

I have a UK issued EASA licence. I would need to do an OPC for a non-UK AOC with a non-UK examiner. Since it is an OPC is the examiner in this case required to have completed the briefing for non-UK examiners?

Thank you already in advance. :ok:

mad_jock
8th Jan 2014, 06:28
nope OPC is an operator requirement not a license authority issue so the examiner needs to be approved by the AOC authority.

An OPC can be done by a TRI

Capt. Spock
8th Jan 2014, 06:46
That is what I wanted to hear. Thank you, sir! :ok:

S-Works
8th Jan 2014, 07:01
I am not sure that is correct. OPC is a entry on my Examiner approval and had to be gained as an addition. I am approved by several overseas NAA and they all required me to complete there briefings in order to do OPCs.

I would contact the UK CAA to be certain.

mad_jock
8th Jan 2014, 07:21
OPC is nothing to do with your licensing authority it is everything to do with your AOC authority. Your licensing authority gets zero paper work about OPC.

As I said a TRI can do the OPC its doesn't need to be a TRE.

If your not flying on a UK AOC the UK CAA has absolutely zero to do with it as long as your not doing a LPC/OPC for your IR.

If a company is saying rock up on Friday you have an induction over the weekend OPC on Monday it will be in there training manuals what they need to do. Even if the UK don't like what they are doing there is nothing they can do about.

A LPC/OPC needs approval for the examiner from 2 authorities the License authority for the IR LPC and the AOC authority for the OPC.

MJ who's last 3 OPC's have been done and so will the next by none UK approved TRE's and 1 TRI.

BizJetJock
8th Jan 2014, 12:02
EU-OPS Appendix 1 to 1.965 b.1.v
Operator proficiency checks must be conducted by a type rating examiner.
Seems pretty clear cut to me.

S-Works
8th Jan 2014, 14:57
Clear cut to me as well and as I thought.

Capt. Spock
8th Jan 2014, 15:40
This concerns only the OPC.

I have tried to contact the UK CAA but am finding it very hard nowadays to get any reply back.

mad_jock
8th Jan 2014, 18:47
Changed our ops manual. H'mm that got past the EASA audit, very strange the german didn't spot that.

Doesn't change the fact the TRE only needs the approval from the AoC authority not the license authority. Because the operator proficiency test has nothing to with the pilots licensing authority.

It maybe that a UK AoC requires it.

But I have never submitted any OPC paper work to any of the different licensing authorities of any pilots. It just goes in the training files for flight ops inspection by the AoC authority.

S-Works
10th Jan 2014, 08:03
The OPC is to do with the licensing authority as they require the OPC checks to d be done. It is the very reason I have OPC authority listed on my examiner authority.

The UK CAA require that any overseas examiner excercising any examiner authority undertakes the examiner brief. I am currently training three type rating candidates from Germany and myself and the other instructor have had to register for the examiners brief with the LBA. This requires me to also request OPC privileges.

mad_jock
10th Jan 2014, 20:36
Well the UK caa has known absolutely nothing about my OPC's for the last 3years.

Going to have another one next week as well which they also won't know anything about.

The examiner has done the briefing for the AOC authority and that's it.

You approval for german OPC is for German AOC's doesn't mean you can do the OPC's in any country you like with German license holders. If they are flying for say a Finnish AOC you need the Finnish approval for OPC and German and Finnish to do a LPC/OPC to renew the type rating.

S-Works
10th Jan 2014, 21:07
MJ, you are confusing the regulatory requirements with the operator requirements.

An operator is required by EASA to conduct OPCs. These OPCs are conducted by Examiners who are required to hold an Examiner approval with an OPC endorsements.

In order for me as an Examiner to conduct an OPC on a licence holder that is not the same as mine I am required to have an approval from the authority who issued the licence.

This means that if I have an approval from the LBA as I do, I can conduct the OPC on your German licence holder operating under a Finnish AOC.

Now of course the question is whether the Finnish AOC holder would be happy for me to do so. But that's a politics discussion not a regulatory discussion.

mad_jock
10th Jan 2014, 21:28
No you can't.

You need listed in the part D which then needs to get approved and you won't get approved unless you have done the briefing before you can do a OPC for an AOC.

The national CAA's get no notification what's so ever about there license holders doing a OPC. As your rightly say it is a commercial operators requirement not a licensing requirement. So as such the licensing authority has nothing to do with OPC's.

nick14
10th Jan 2014, 23:58
I know IAA TREs do not need the briefing for an OPC on other licence holders.

We had no restriction for OPCs following the implementation of the aircrew regulation. The only requirement was for the LPC as that required Licencing action. The OPC was conducted under the management system of our ATO.

OhNoCB
12th Jan 2014, 14:42
For what it's worth to add to the discussion, just in case in looks like MJ's situation appears unique, we have a UK TRE who does OPCs for some of our Irish licence holders and the IAA has not and never has had anything to do with it.

Capt. Spock
13th Jan 2014, 15:09
Thanks to everyone for their help. I was pleased get the following statement from the UK CAA.

*The CAA only endorses Licensing Skills Test (LST) and Licensing Proficiency Checks (LPC’s) – we do not endorse OPC’s as this is purely an Operating Company requirement.

A full breakdown of the specific training and testing required can be found in the AMC. I have attached a link below, please refer to ‘FCL.740 (b) (i):

http://easa.europa.eu/agency-measures/docs/agency-decisions/2011/2011-016-R/AMC%20and%20GM%20to%20Part-FCL.pdf (AMC)

The examiner who conducts the LPC must also be JAR/Part-FCL approved and the examiner must be briefed prior to the skills test. If however the skills test is completed with a UK examiner, then the examiner will not need to be briefed prior to the test. For further information regarding the examiner briefings please refer to the below link which contains the latest Information Notice (IN):

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_Briefing%20of%20non%20UK%20ExaminersV1_Sept12.pdf