PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heading across the pond?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
13th May 2002, 19:18
Hi guys and Gals,

Anyone heading across to the US in the next few weeks for PPL's, additional ratings, hour building etc?

Just wondering who I might bump into in a pilot lounge or two :D

Cheers.

GPS Approach
13th May 2002, 19:25
25th May for a couple of weeks, cruising the Floridian skies:cool:

Megaton
13th May 2002, 19:25
Give us a clue. Where are you going? I'll be at EFT, Ft Pierce from Sunday.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
13th May 2002, 20:10
Ham Phisted, I am headig to Naples for 6 weeks, really looking forward to it, even though I am a little apprenhensive as I have not flown for quite some time, nearly 2 years!:eek:

GPS approach, enjoy, and remember VFR cruising altitudes start at 3000ft in the US :D.

zerouali, not sure of good airfields to fly from in that area, I have flown from Daytona and Spruce Creek a few times, further north. If you get the chance do the shuttle landing facility tour (with clearance of course) in R-2934. Actually thinking about it, this may not be allowed anymore since 9/11, therefore it may be a no go, anyone know?

Enjoy guys, may even see ya :)

Cheers.

IanSeager
13th May 2002, 20:34
CAT3C - The Shuttle tour is hostory I'm afraid...I guess it might come back one day.

Ian

GoneWest
13th May 2002, 21:37
Last time I spoke with the nice NASA people (in a meeting, not on the R/T) they said not only will the tour never return but first move was to stop publishing launch times of the orbiters and the second move was to have the entire airspace made into a permanant prohibited zone...it's only restricted at the moment.

The first move has already happened. The second one keeps being mentioned during security meetings.

Really sad about that - I enjoyed the shuttle tour many times...and the passengers loved it.

Ian_Wannabe
13th May 2002, 23:01
Hey everyone,
Is anyone off over 2 San Diego, California around July??

Just interested to see if i may bump into some other Ppruners :D

No. 2
13th May 2002, 23:50
Hey,

I'm off to San Diego a week Friday (24 May) until the end of June to do my PPL. Then I have to come home to graduate!!:confused:

weetabix
14th May 2002, 13:37
I'm going to Longbeach from the 3rd June till 8th July (might stay longer if i've any money left). I intend to fly up to San Fran, Las Vegas and to Tijuana during that time amongst other things.

Looks like there might be a few of us around at the same time, so we'll have to report online saying what we're up to so we can arrange to meet up! Can't really concentrate on my finals with so much to look forward to!http://www.smilies.nl/yellows/lookaround.gif

NLM13
14th May 2002, 15:43
Hi guys. I'm going over to Florida on 3rd June for 2 weeks flying. Will be based at WinterHaven. If anyone else is going to be there give me a shout.

:cool:

englishal
14th May 2002, 15:49
I should be careful about flying to TJ Weetabix, else the US DEA may think you're starting to work for the Mexican drug cartels and if you don't get shot down, you may end up with a full body cavity search on you return...though flying all the way down Baja California would be an excellent trip, maybe I'll give it a go this year..

Cheers
EA;)

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th May 2002, 17:25
Gonewest,

Real shame about that :(.

I have enjoyed that trip on 2 occasions, myself and mates loved it when we flew at 500ft down a runway that was wide enough to land across!!:)

Nevermind.

weetabix
14th May 2002, 23:14
Cavity Searches :o

Thanks for the warning EA. Some guys flew down from LGB into mexico from Rainbow while I was there last time and seemed to enjoy it - I presumed they didn't get shot down or have a heavy handed search!
I will investigate in depth the real practicalities of such a trip now!

maggioneato
15th May 2002, 09:05
Heading to Texas 30th May, no flying booked just stopping off when I see a nice airfield that takes my fancy, hopefully grass, don`t know if there are many of those, Hav`nt done my homework yet.

Megaton
15th May 2002, 12:13
I've not seen any grass strips here in Texas. Plenty of short, narrow ones if you're depserate for a challenge otherwise there's an abundance of rather nice airfields with no landing fees. Which part of Texas are you coming to?

Crossedcontrols
15th May 2002, 20:29
If anyone is near Orlando try Preston Aviation www.flytailwheel.com
I did my FAA taildragger checkout there in a J3 Cub.
You can also do it in a Stearman, at 200 bucks an hour. Very nice people in a small grass airfield north of Orlando.
CC

Ian_Wannabe
17th May 2002, 20:42
Hey again,
Yeah, good plan to those who are in the same area. I'd like to sort someting if we're going to be around the same place. Mayaswell!

Keep in touch!

Ian

Hen Ddraig
17th May 2002, 22:52
Going to end up in Wisconsin last week in July.
Got to spend some time in Canada before that in Calgary and Edmonton .
Anybody recomend an FBO in the Canadian areas.