PDA

View Full Version : Carriage of Persons with Reduced Mobility (PRMs)

Sidestick_flyer001
5th Jan 2014, 16:55
I'd like to hear of airlines' policies on the carriage of PRMs and what limits (if any) are imposed as regards to a maximum number on a flight. What about those traveling alone?

Burnie5204
5th Jan 2014, 18:35
I believe its a crew choice.

I've certainly seen 36 loaded on a Lourdes flight (though predictably Zero had booked PRM for the return)

Reduced Mobility
6th Jan 2014, 15:19
In the US there is no limit (see 14 CFR Part 382). In the EU (EC)965/2012 sets the ratio to 1 to 1 (one able body per one SCP). However, you should note that SCPs include children under the age of 12 (accompanied or not), pregnant women, deportees and prisoners as well as passengers with disabilities.

Some low cost carriers impose collars on the number of WCHC per flight (two or four) which is unrelated to safety, but rather to contain turnarounds within 25/28 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Jetset320
8th Jan 2014, 20:59
Reduced Mobility; it is actually in IATA's guidelines to restrict the number of WHRC cases to the number of pairs of level emergency exits (i.e. not including overwing exits). On 737/A320 that means 2 WHRC cases!

EASA has just released NPA2014-01 which touches on this issue, however from what I have seen it is rather beating around the bush, stating that a limit is logical, however without any proper guidance, whilst inviting opinions.

750XL
8th Jan 2014, 21:18
On Ryanair:

Only 4 PRM's (WCHS/WCHR/WCHC) permitted per flight. I've personally offloaded passengers who haven't booked PRM assistance and become the unlucky 5th one

Tray Surfer
9th Jan 2014, 23:01
At BA, I don't believe there is a limit.

If PRM pax require "assistance" during the flight, then they must be accompanied by a carer who can look after their needs during the flight.

Some flights, to particular parts of the world have 50/60/70 PRM pax listed, which can be challenging.

Jetset320
12th Feb 2014, 20:53
EasyJet fined £42,000 for ordering a disabled woman off of a plane because she was 'a security risk' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2557614/EasyJet-fined-42-000-ordering-disabled-woman-plane-security-risk.html)

I think this was lost in translation and it was a 'securite' issue (safety) rather than a 'surte' issue (security).

However this does not seem like justice issue, but a safety issue. According to EU rules, airlines are allowed have policies restricting the carriage of disabled passengers, for safety reasons.

This is indeed a safety issue, as what will happen to the unaccompanied disabled (paraplegic) passenger in an evacuation, especially due to fire. IMHO this ruling exposes crew to added personal danger, as well as exposes the airline to damages should the crew evacuate a burning ship and leave an immobile unaccompanied disabled passenger on board.