PDA

View Full Version : I went to Welshpool today.

Whirlybird
13th May 2002, 17:43
I had to visit someone in Welshpool today, so I drove over to the airfield to see how things were coming along. The office building is now newly decorated, the floor has been raised to several inches above the worst floods, and they have a coffee machine. The whole place will be carpetted in a couple of days. Bob (the owner) wasn't there, but I chatted to a chap who was working there. He said things had been time consuming and expensive, as when they started they'd found 300 gallons of water in the Avgas tanks! Also, the electrical wiring had been cut and ripped out in varous places, to such an extent that they'd had to rewire the place, and some of the double glazing on the windows had been ripped out too. But it's all coming along. They'd apparently had a few visitors over the weekend. I chatted to Bob on the phone, and he said he had a C172 available for self fly hire, if I was interested. So the place is ticking over, and gradually developing.

Awyrennwr
13th May 2002, 22:18
Thats Great news, hope it will be fully operational soon.

I thought TB took his AVGAS tank out when he left? or was that just the A1 tanks?

There is not going to be much head room if they raise the floors. Apparently the water reaches well over a foot high in the prefabs most years.

bladeslapper
13th May 2002, 22:29
No, fuel tanks all still there and full of fuel not water now. Certainly no problem in my aircraft, now tank has been cleaned out

You will be pleased to know that the whole prefab structure has been lifted ( easier than just lifting floors) and that you won't have to stoop after all.

Go visit !!

AC-DC
13th May 2002, 22:55
I am amazed at T.B, I have met him twice but would never think that he can reduce himself to such a low level, what a shame. Anyway, we had a 3 ship flying into Welshpool a week ago, it is a building site but with lovely atmosphere. Just go there. PPR on 01938-555 560.

This one is for T.B :p

Wee Weasley Welshman
14th May 2002, 08:49
If the river ever gets as high as Bob has got those portacabins then we'd all better get building an Ark!

Whirlybird
14th May 2002, 11:28
Been raised 20 inches I heard. That's several inches higher than the highest known floods. The chap working there said it should have been done years ago. True. Lots of things should have been done there years ago. Never mind; it's all happening now. Don't worry, plenty of headroom, and whole place has been repainted and looks really nice. I saw a sample of the carpet too; should look great when that's finished.

Yes, go and visit and give Bob your support. He's a nice guy and he deserves it!

Yogi-Bear
14th May 2002, 11:49
:) Whirly,What are the curtains like?

Whirlybird
14th May 2002, 13:52
Er... not sure if there are any yet Yogi. Why don't you go along and help them choose some nice colour co-ordinated material? :D

mediman
14th May 2002, 22:01
Can anyone tell me if the maintenance company is still going at Welshpool, someone mention that it may have recently ceased trading?
Please excuse me if I'm a bit behind with the time:confused:

Daifly
14th May 2002, 22:42
Yes Medi, you are a bit behind!

The Maintenance Facility has closed, but in the fullness of time there is hope that another will open at Welshpool.

Water in the fuel tanks? That's about TB's level isn't it...

mediman
15th May 2002, 21:45
Thank you for the info Daifly. The reason why I asked is that I'm currently in the process of setting up a maintenance company to look after light twins and I'm on the search for hangar/ground equipment.

Any suggestions would be welcome.