PDA

View Full Version : Crash in Madinah

Jager43
5th Jan 2014, 07:30
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=569914259764095&set=pb.137192489702943.-2207520000.1388910531.&type=3&theater

Initial reports: 32 injured.

Orient Thai 767, flying for Saudia.

Desert Dawg
5th Jan 2014, 07:35
Any news on how it happened..?

Jager43
5th Jan 2014, 07:45
landing gear problem.
not so sure that was the root-cause.
MED known for tricky winds and uphill landing North.

1stspotter
5th Jan 2014, 08:26
aircraft made an emergcency landing with the right landinggear up. aircraft most likely HS-BKE as this as scheduled for a Mashhad in Iran (MHD) to Medina (MED) flight (SV2841) arriving this morning at 03:07.

More photos here
??? | ???????? ??????.. ????? 29 ?????? ?? ???? ??????? ?????? "????????"???????? (http://sabq.org/g3Nfde)
&
https://twitter.com/AhmedDispatcher/status/419752324924317696/photo/1

Baccalaris
5th Jan 2014, 09:05
Saudi Arabian Boeing landing accident at Medina plane crash médine ??????? ??????? - YouTube

Capn Bloggs
5th Jan 2014, 09:22
Nice sparklers for New Years...

MrDK
5th Jan 2014, 09:51
Orient Thai ... good ol' One-Two-Go.

rog747
5th Jan 2014, 09:58
slight delay for off loading the bags lol

good old strong 767 - it was a RR Roller powered a/c...

ex BA?

Jager43
5th Jan 2014, 10:19
HS-BKE Saudi Arabian Airlines Boeing 767-3W0(ER) - cn 28264 / ln 644 - Planespotters.net Just Aviation (http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/Boeing/767/28264,HS-BKE-Saudi-Arabian-Airlines.php)

StormyKnight
5th Jan 2014, 10:21
Looks like its resting on one engine, is that all that's required to change the CG to lift the front wheel?

crewmeal
5th Jan 2014, 10:43
http://https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Don't you just hate it when you see people 'like' a photo of a plane incident on Facebook.

readywhenreaching
5th Jan 2014, 11:49
JACDEC - Current News (http://www.jacdec.de/news/[email protected])

1stspotter
5th Jan 2014, 15:10
a few more photos with one of them showing the landinggear still in its flying position
????? ??????? ????????? (http://www.almnatiq.net/ns2-660)

G-ARZG
5th Jan 2014, 16:21
light delay for off loading the bags lol

good old strong 767 - it was a RR Roller powered a/c...

ex BA?

Nope, was never with BA. China Yunan A/L was, I believe, the only other op. to select RB211 power for B767's, and HS-BKE can be traced back to them.
QF ended up with some ex-BA, of course.

Machinbird
5th Jan 2014, 16:38
These aircraft really could use some sacrificial oak skids bolted to the bottom of the engines.
It would not be much drag if properly faired in, and would convert incidents like this from possible writeoffs into an inboard door replacement and gear swing.

Real shame when the crew does a nice job of putting the aircraft on the ground and the aircraft gets sent to the scrappers anyway.

The reason they don't do it has to be the extra 100 kilos of weight it would involve being hauled on every aircraft throughout the fleet.

I hope they did not actually put anyone out the slides ahead of the wing.

Since the final nose in the air attitude is predictable in the one main gear up configuration, do they brief not using the forward slides in advance of the landing?

http://admin.almnatiq.com/ContentData/Sites/Conferences/201415-9450-585108278-6j.jpg

J.O.
5th Jan 2014, 17:02
If you measured the cost to the world's airlines of carrying your extra 100kg for the life of an airframe vs the cost of (I think it's) two gear up landings like this one in the history of the 767, I suspect you'd find the costs outweigh the benefits by a fair margin.

Laurence Boland
5th Jan 2014, 17:45
Human body parts fall from sky in Jeddah | Arab News ? Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more. (http://www.arabnews.com/news/503981)

JEDDAH: Human body parts fell from the sky in the city of Jeddah Sunday, with police saying they could be the remains of a person trapped in an airplane’s wheel bay.
“Police received a telephone call at 2:30 a.m. from a witness reporting the fall of human remains at an intersection in Mushrefa neighborhood” in Jeddah, spokesman Nawaf bin Naser Al-Bouq said in a statement.
Initial indications were that the remains “fell from a plane’s landing gear,” said Bouq, adding that investigations were ongoing.

Police would not say if the body parts have anything to do with the Saudia airplane that made an emergency landing at the airport in Madinah also early Sunday.

The Boeing 767-300ER flight from Mashhad in Iran, carrying 315 passengers, made the emergency landing at dawn Sunday after the pilot reported a malfunctioning rear wheel. Twenty-nine people were injured during the rough landing.

In a desperate attempt to cross borders, some people at poorly monitored airports climb inside the bays holding the landing gear of planes. Most of them freeze to death once the aircraft reach cruising altitude, but some survive.
In 2010, the head of Beirut’s airport security resigned after the death of a man who managed to sneak onto a runway undetected and hide in the wheel bay of a Saudi-bound jet.
The man’s body was found by a maintenance worker in Riyadh who was inspecting the landing gear of the Saudi-owned Nas Air Airbus 320 after it touched down.

lapp
5th Jan 2014, 17:58
Human body parts fall from sky in Jeddah | Arab News ? Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more. (http://www.arabnews.com/news/503981)

Unclear if the events are related, but for a flight from Iran, Jeddah is not in the path.

Sorry Dog
5th Jan 2014, 18:02
If you measured the cost to the world's airlines of carrying your extra 100kg for the life of an airframe vs the cost of (I think it's) two gear up landings like this one in the history of the 767, I suspect you'd find the costs outweigh the benefits by a fair margin.

Maybe I'm a bit too cynical, but I think you just described most of insurance industry (especially when you include AIG).

Of course, if Boeing did have some sort of sacrificial material for gear up landing they kinda open themselves up for landing gear and termite jokes from the competition towards potential customers...

Una Due Tfc
5th Jan 2014, 19:45
Imagine what combination of rapid 3 figure temperature changes and moisture would do to that oak. Not a runner

Mr @ Spotty M
5th Jan 2014, 20:05
My guess would be, that it could be the brake rod issue again.
That is 3 not 2 gear up or partially up on the B767 and that is in over 30 years of operation.

metro301
5th Jan 2014, 21:05
Medina was down to single runway operations due to construction. Now it is down to zero runway operations. Any ideas on how long it takes to clear a gear up 767?

ptu1
5th Jan 2014, 22:02
Crew did a good job. :D
But why no diversion to Jed ? 2 runways and more personnel to deal with the cleanup.
I think GCAC will have lots to look at here with Thai operation.(Thai DCA too).
Guess they will be busy as bcc return to SV also on 7th, many maintenance and operational issues between both Thai operators
Ox has had crm issues well documented in the past

piratepete
6th Jan 2014, 03:36
2007: MD82 crashed with loss of over 80 lives

2013(?): 737-300 near crash at Phuket then diverted to Surat Thani on one engine etc, then serious landing incident.

2014 767-300 serious gear-up landing at MAD.32 INJURED.

There have been many complaints against this airline and its CEO Udom, but Thai DCA look the other way.......WTF?

stratofactor
6th Jan 2014, 06:12
All it takes is the "thick brown envelope" to make these things go away!:ugh:

broadreach
7th Jan 2014, 00:17
msbbarratt, re your reply to machinbird, I suspect you're right; the forward port slides would have been very near vertical. It would be great to think that the FD crew would have had the time and foresight to get it across to cabin crew that evacuating via the port slides should be the last alternative. But they'd have to have been activated, wouldn't they, just in case of fire on the starboard side?

So much 20/20 hindsight...

SRS
7th Jan 2014, 02:53
Thick brown envelope is right in the mark. Orient Thai have a record of falsifying tech log book entries. Only recently Saudia started spot quality inspections to find multiple problems. The Thai DCA is a rubber stamp and everyone knows it. Only politics keeps Thai airliners from downgrades.

joy16
7th Jan 2014, 03:26
The Thai DCA is a rubber stamp and everyone knows it. Only politics keeps Thai airliners from downgrades.

Are you sure to saying this?
Do you think that all Thai airliners (THAI, Bangkok airways, Thai air asia, Nok air, Orient Thai, Thai Lion air, etc.) should be downgraded?

SRS
7th Jan 2014, 05:18
A large part of grading safety is the quality of the Civil aviation. Without proper oversight Airlines may take substandard safety practices. History has shown that That is almost always the case.

stratofactor
8th Jan 2014, 05:37
Are you sure to saying this?
Do you think that all Thai airliners (THAI, Bangkok airways, Thai air asia, Nok air, Orient Thai, Thai Lion air, etc.) should be downgraded?

If not downgraded, more oversight!

Two years ago, I had an opportunity to fly with some of the retired Thai Airlines Captains, Check Airman, line instructors that Orient Thai hired. Most of them were pathetic. Terrible flying skills, terrible CRM, won't use the QRH, totally non-standard, just go, go, go. Out of ten that came over, there was 1 FO and 1 CPT that were good.

The Thai Captains (retired from 744 at Thai Airways) thought they were going to come right in as instructors, check airman etc. because they were in those positions at Thai Airways. After their initial simulator sessions the lead instructor at OT (not western) would NOT let any of them in any type of instructor position. Said they were terrible. These Captains retired from Thai Airlines, the national carrier. You would think they would be the best.

It was not one bad apple, 80% of them were substandard. I can only assume their operational skills at Orient Thai carried over from Thai Airways because they didn't develop those bad habits in 2 sim sessions at Orient Thai.

Well I got a bunch of "tell me about a time when..." stories for the job interviews. :D I did enjoy my time there!

They are proof that Boeing and Airbus make great airplanes!

DaveReidUK
8th Jan 2014, 06:57
I suspect you're right; the forward port slides would have been very near vertical.

Look at the photo again - they were nowhere close to vertical.

Are you seriously suggesting that the certification authorities don't take any account of the one-MLG-collapsed configuration when approving the design and installation of slides?

rog747
8th Jan 2014, 08:24
davereid

is it possible the CG shifted aft - AFTER the pax evac;d ? and i note also ground staff were offloading bags too in these pics again removing fwd weight?

would she have been on her nose gear with more weight up front?

also thanks to the poster who mentioned this 767 was not ex BA (rolls royce engines...)

Thaihawk
9th Jan 2014, 19:45
In Thailand DCA should stand for Department of Corrupt Activities.

Laurence Boland
15th Jan 2014, 15:55
Prince Mohammad bin Abdulaziz International Airport in Madinah will have a second expanded runway by the end of June, according to an official from the Kingdom’s aviation authority.
Khalid Al-Khaibari, spokesman of the General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA), said the new runway would help ease air traffic congestion at the airport.
He told Arab News that Madinah airport has two runways. One is 3,050 meters, and the other is 3,850 meters long and 45 meters wide.
Madinah airport officials used the second one from July 20 to mid-November for Ramadan and Haj. It was closed again to allow workers to lengthen it to 4,250 meters and widen it to 60 meters.
Once completed, it would accommodate large planes such as the Airbus 380 and have an updated automated landing system, said Al-Khaibari.
The decision to operate the runway came after a Saudi Arabian Airlines plane traveling from Iran crash-landed at the airport on Jan. 5, injuring 29 passengers. The incident forced GACA to close the airport for 36 hours.
He said the accident resulted in heavy financial losses because the airport canceled 120 domestic and international flights. He said Saudi Arabian Airlines has called for additional runways to avoid future
problems.

InvestigateUdom
25th Jul 2014, 14:05
www.InvestigateUdom.com (http://www.InvestigateUdom.com): That's the public data on massive corruption and incompetence and attempted coverups that is the Thai DCA and Orient Thai, One-Two-Go and Udom.

Included in the material is the actual falsified work hours, falsified sim checks, the NTSB and Thai crash reports for OG-269 - obtained via a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request - and the British Coroner's Inquest findings.
"Flagrant disregard for passenger safety"

despegue
27th Jul 2014, 20:21
Heard that Orient Thai is given the boot by SV and replaced by AAI...