PDA

View Full Version : Current impression on Fly-in-Spain Jerez/renting small aircraft abroad?

RobinZartos
4th Jan 2014, 11:55
Dear everyone!

First of all, maybe a little introduction on myself :-) My name is Robin, a 23 year old Belgian private pilot and student airline pilot.

I already obtained my PPL, having flown a lot in the past two years with a PA-28. In total, I gathered around 150 flying hours of which around 100 pilot in command (VFR).

During the past two summers, together with a fellow student pilot, I did some extended VFR cross-country flights to Sweden, Denmark, Spain, etc...

During one of the next months, I'd love to finish my hour building flying in a foreign country. As the weather in Belgium often doesn't allow VFR-flights, I had the idea to rent a small airplane -prefarably piper warrior- abroad for a few days.

I've been browsing the internet and these forums here for a while. I've also read some good things about the company Fly-in-Spain Jerez. However, these reviews often date from some years ago. My question to you guys now; is there anyone who has recent or less recent experience with the renting capabilities of Fly-in-Spain, ie getting there with an airline and renting a piper warrior for 10 hours time building.

Besides this, are there any other aeroclubs around Europe (prefarably Mediterranean, Greece, Italy, Spain, Croatie,... :-)) that can be recommended?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Best regards,
Robin Zartos

S-Works
4th Jan 2014, 17:12
Drop me a PM. I am Head of Training at FIS. There will be no problem in you doing what you want.

Sam Rutherford
5th Jan 2014, 12:55
Very happy with FIS (last there 9 months ago).

Check this forum for more info - there was another thread about FIS not so long ago.

Fly safe, Sam;

Jan Olieslagers
5th Jan 2014, 16:27
Nothing to say about FIS, neither good nor bad, I seem to remember a similar organisation in Greece; perhaps someone remembers the name/place?

BTW I did some brilliant VFR flying this very morning from EBZH! Belgium is not as bad as it seems.

RobinZartos
5th Jan 2014, 18:06
Could that by Global Aviation SA you mean? :-)

Thanks everyone for the replies!

piperboy84
5th Jan 2014, 20:08
Flew with them about 3 weeks ago, nice setup, straightforward no nonsense people and procedures and a beautiful area to fly in. It was also interesting to listen the the US mil on the frequency, they must have a base nearby

sunside
5th Jan 2014, 20:36
We (two pilots) have flown to Morocco from Jerez with a plane rented from FIS in the beginning of December. Everything worked fine, they even organized an instructor to do the checkout on a Sunday, where the school is usually closed (we arrived on Saturday and wanted to leave on Monday). We did around 15 hours on this trip and it was just wonderful. We had the idea rather spontaneously and booked everything just 3 weeks before, but Fly in Spain was very accommodating to us.

If you want to fly to Morocco, you still need to prepare this very well in advance, so feel free to write me if you need more information.

LaurensVerlinden
6th Jan 2014, 19:31
Hi everybody,

I will be flying together with Robin in Spain if we decide to go. I also have some questions:
Does somebody know some nice VFR airfields in Morocco?
I would like to fly over the desert, what place(s) is nice to fly over in Morocco ?
Does somebody know if you can land with a PA-28 in Gibraltar (wind permitting) or does somebody has experience flying in Gibraltar…

Brgds,
Laurens

S-Works
6th Jan 2014, 20:42
We have a whole load of options for Morocco that we can discuss with you when you are out. I have done Gibraltar many times and in fact will be doing it on Friday. Just be prepared for the landing fees, they are currently around £200.

Yp12
11th Jan 2014, 16:22
Seems like a good school from reviews. I contacted them several times with questions and they've replied promptly and have been helpful. I am Planning to go there soon to see the school and area and hopefully book to do my PPL there.