PDA

View Full Version : PPL Scholarships

tobster911
3rd Jan 2014, 15:43
Hi,

Does anyone know of any lesser known flying scholarships (PPL) available in the UK?

Something that irritates me somewhat is the number of scholarships available for disabled people, and not for those who aren't? Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that we are doing this. Everyone should have the opportunity to fly, but I think it is kind of bad that there are more available to disabled people, when, lots of people want the scholarship as a stepping stone to a flying career, which, unfortunately, many disabled people wouldn't be able to do...

And, before loads of people start shouting at me for this, please understand my point fully, and that I wholeheartedly believe that there should be scholarships available for disabled people...

Thank you

T

bingoboy
3rd Jan 2014, 21:20
I've seen a couple of lists in various mags which I'm sure someone will be able to conjure up but the LAA usually offer one or two a year to younger members (see their website)

ifitaintboeing
3rd Jan 2014, 22:56
FLYER - GA Scholarships (http://www.flyer.co.uk/scholarships/)

Flying Training|Instructor|Examiner|Formation|CPL|Aerobatics (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/sponsorship-scholarship.html)

Welcome to the Light Aircraft Association (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/Education/Scholarship/scholarship.html)

ifitaint...

The Old Fat One
4th Jan 2014, 11:01
but I think it is kind of bad that there are more available to disabled people, when, lots of people want the scholarship as a stepping stone to a flying career, which, unfortunately, many disabled people wouldn't be able to do...

Nobody else has pointed it out, so I will...your statement makes no sense.

If somebody is able bodied enough (read, "medically fit") to complete a full flying scholarship (ie a full PPL) they will have the medical standards required to complete a CPL. I'm a bit out of date, but only a UK NPPL relaxes the medical standards and then by not that much.

A significantly disabled/handicapped person would not be allowed to solo, let alone gain a licence of any sort.

I think you are mixing up scholarships with some sort of air experience flying.

tobster911
4th Jan 2014, 13:22
Perhaps, but im sure i've seen actual scholarships -to NPPL - for disabled people... And, surely, if you're able to obtain an NPPL, the scholarship shouldn't just be for disabled people?

SlipSlider
5th Jan 2014, 10:01
A significantly disabled/handicapped person would not be allowed to solo, let alone gain a licence of any sort.

Rubbish. Try Googling "Nathan Doidge"

CapCon
5th Jan 2014, 22:54
Nobody else has pointed it out, so I will...your statement makes no sense.

If somebody is able bodied enough (read, "medically fit") to complete a full flying scholarship (ie a full PPL) they will have the medical standards required to complete a CPL. I'm a bit out of date, but only a UK NPPL relaxes the medical standards and then by not that much.

Not quite. To get a PPL an EASA Class 2 medical is required. If you wanted to progress down the commercial route this would need to be upgraded to a Class 1, which has numerous restrictions regarding disabilities.

As for scholarships, look at the Air League. Think they still offer a few I think

The Old Fat One
6th Jan 2014, 13:05
Slipsider,

Perhaps read before you post??

I said (quite clearly) if you pass the med standards you can get a licence. Of course there are people with disabilities flying aircraft - including professionally.

They will have passed the necessary medical, despite their disability, whatever it is.

to clarify...

Some people have disabilities, but can through a full medical (pretty rare IMO)
Some people have disabilities, but can get through the relaxed standards required by NPPL (still pretty rare IMO)
Most people with disabilities will not experience PIC.

Personally I have administered two cases for NPPL solo flight.

diabetes - they flew solo
Aspergers - they did not fly solo. Mainly because no doctor would sign them off.

The thrust of OPs post was that there are proportionally more disabled flying scholarships that able bodied ones and also that being disabled automatically bars one from a professional career as a pilot. Both statements are wrong.

Not quite. To get a PPL an EASA Class 2 medical is required. If you wanted to progress down the commercial route this would need to be upgraded to a Class 1, which has numerous restrictions regarding disabilities.

concur...which is exactly why I used to advise getting the full medical done upfront, before parting with the wonga for anybody who was going down the career route.

QED

WhiskyTangoRoger
6th Jan 2014, 18:28
Hi there,

I believe GAPAN currently have some PPL scholarships up for grabs, and the Air League are offering 12 hour flying scholarships to help towards gaining an NPPL.

Good luck!

Heliport
8th Jan 2014, 20:57
Guild of Air Pilots Flying Scholarships:

Click here (https://www.gapan.org/career-matters/scholarships)

H.

3db
9th Jan 2014, 18:43
The name of the guild may change soon to:

The Honourable Company of Air Pilots

If doing web searches in the future you may want to use that and not the old (but current) name.

Gally2
27th Feb 2014, 00:14
Does anybody know if there are any in Ireland ?? Or others within the EU?

RTN11
27th Feb 2014, 12:48
There is a fair bit of misconception on this thread, and some unfounded claims. There are far more sponsership schemes available to able bodied people than there are to disabled. Generally the disabled sponserships schemes are for a few flights rather than a whole licence, as it can really bring joy and focus to lives that have been affected by a severe trauma or illness.

diabetes - they flew solo

Since when was diabetes a disability?

Can't get much more significant than no arms

Pilot Jessica Cox on Inside Edition - YouTube

Introducing the British Disabled Flying Association - YouTube

There are plenty of scholarships available to able bodied people, I have personally benefited from three such scholarships which funded around 2/3 of my PPL. Just get out there, do some research, and apply.

PA28181
27th Feb 2014, 13:08
Without trying to be too negative, If you need a scholarship to obtain a licence how do you intend to fund the future flying?

FlyVeryHigh-
27th Feb 2014, 13:56
PA28181,

Scholarships are opportunities. Noone in the right mind is going to bypass an opportunity that is just 1 step of many to their dream. Who knows how it's going to be funded after a PPL scholarship, but i'd rather be sitting with a PPL than not, it still displays passion, desire and dedication, and the lack of funding is not a factor in which someone just completely writes themselves off.

PA28181
27th Feb 2014, 16:07
"Who knows how it's going to be funded after a PPL scholarship, but i'd rather be sitting with a PPL than not"

Well, if on interview that answer came to me I wouldn't be offering.

"the lack of funding is not a factor in which someone just completely writes themselves off. "

The problem with this type of "funding" is it is not the end game. The very real need to keep flying and learning and adding ratings are an expensive outlay if you are not in a position yet in your life to be able to keep up with the costs.