PDA

View Full Version : Unable published missed approach procedure

JT8D-17
3rd Jan 2014, 15:21
This question came up in a line check recently.

Published missed approach says "climb straight 3000 feet" MSA in that particular sector is 4000.

If due to weather we could not climb straight ahead but had asked atc(with radar) for heading xxx and they approved how would we be covered with terrain clearance etc? I know circling approaches are covered by a 4.2NM buffer area but what about straight in approaches?

Any help would be appreciated with references if available(EU-OPS)

Thanks

perantau
3rd Jan 2014, 16:07
Don't MSAs on approach plates extend to 25nm around the reference point (VOR, NDB, ARP etc)?

Fullblast
3rd Jan 2014, 16:30
Technically speaking in a radar environment ATC should give different altitude as well if the existing one conflicts with traffic and/or terrain.
This happens every day, especially on departures, where atc gives very low altitude level off below msa.

Yancey Slide
3rd Jan 2014, 18:33
I don't believe that the MSA on the chart and the MVA for operations under radar control don't need to be coincident? FAA 7110.65 5-6-3?

bubbers44
3rd Jan 2014, 22:49
This actually happened to me one night in an MD80 landing at PHX. A big thunderstorm was east of the airport moving west. We knew we couldn't do the published missed into the cell landing on the eastbound runway but felt comfortable with not needing a missed approach because of adequate visibility. As we touched down a lightning strike caused total power failure for the airport including runway lights, ILS and com. Using our landing lights we cleared the runway but we heard several airliners behind us say we lost the ILS and are going around but can not fly runway heading because of wx. No response. Two minutes later they got back up power. I assume they all turned to the south on there own away from the parallel runway as I would. We waited for two hours before wx was adequate for TO.

JammedStab
4th Jan 2014, 00:08
If ATC gave you a heading, you are on radar vectors and they are responsible for terrain clearance.

glendalegoon
4th Jan 2014, 00:15
radar vectors are to be given at or above minimum vectoring altitudes which are pre determined to give terrain clearance.

this never completely removes you from responsibility for the safe operation of the aircraft.

JammedStab
4th Jan 2014, 13:02
Bottom line, when given vectors at an unfamiliar airport, we are putting a lot of trust into ATC and they are said to be responsible. Sometimes they come with the takeoff clearance.

zondaracer
12th Jan 2014, 00:38
ATC has minimum vectoring altitudes for different areas that could be below MSA. These aren't typically readily available to pilots and can be nerve wracking because now it is all up to the controller to be on the ball.

de facto
12th Jan 2014, 09:18
These aren't typically readily available to pilots and can be nerve wracking because now it is all up to the controller to be on the ball.

So what youre saying is that when you are given vectors,you stop thinking for yourself?

zondaracer
12th Jan 2014, 09:20
@defacto: Nope, I never said that. There have been times where I have been vectored straight into a mountain and the controller forgot about me until I called them up. What I'm trying to say is that if you are looking at an IFR Low chart and being vectored around by a controller, you really have to double check the controller.

Piltdown Man
19th Jan 2014, 11:34
Is that all the G/A procedure said? What was the reason for the 4,000' MSA? If you are sure that you will not bump into anything it's OK. If not, you'll have to negotiate a different G/A procedure before commencing the approach. But just out of interest, which airfield?