PDA

View Full Version : Private flying in the U.S.

Retard/Retard
13th May 2002, 14:25
Just a small question, going to the U.S. for the summer months, want to fly privately, have CAA / ICAO frozen ATPL, how do I go about recognition, what are the steps and cost.

Cheers.

slim_slag
13th May 2002, 14:33
Go to a FSDO with your licence and medical and they will issue you a private pilot temporary airmans certificate on the spot. Since 11/9 you need to make an appointment. Lists of FSDOs are on faa web site. There are no charges for FAA services like this. Did you know that goes for skill tests too?

Take your temporary certificate, medical, credit card, log book to place that rents and after they have checked you out you should be good to go.

Whirlybird
13th May 2002, 17:21
I went there last month, without an appointment, and there was no problem.

englishal
13th May 2002, 17:22
Although if you are really from Kandahar then they may not issue you a licence :D

Cheers
EA

Aussie Andy
13th May 2002, 20:35
Hi,

I got a US certificate last week - I did need to call the Las Vegas FSDO to make an appointment (contact details on the web), but I get the impression this requirement varies from one office to the next. It was very simple - just a form to fill in, no fees!!! What a great place to fly :D

Crossedcontrols
13th May 2002, 21:57
I tried to make an appointment at Orladno FSDO, they directed me to contact an examiner listed on thier web site directly (they don't like people in thier offices since Sept 11). Only difference was I was charged $40 by the examiner.
Good luck

FlyingForFun
14th May 2002, 08:29
Yes, rules do vary from place to place. Scottsdale FSDO in Phoenix, AZ give you a list of examiners, with their phone numbers. You pick a name at random, and go to visit the examiner in his home. The FSDO doesn't charge, but the examiner might. Probably best to call the FSDO to find out what the local rules are - no point wasting petrol (sorry, gas) going there, only to be sent somewhere else.

One other minor point - you will need a BFR before you can fly without an instructor. Since nowhere will rent to you without a checkout first, the BFR can usually be combined with the checkout - but you must get the BFR stamped into your logbook after the checkout.

FFF
--------------

Retard/Retard
14th May 2002, 11:54
Sorry but what the hell is a BFR, I'm not a general aviation regular.

Cheers.

FlyingForFun
14th May 2002, 13:19
Sorry - Biannual Flight Revue.

Basically, the FAA's way of making sure you stay current, by having you get checked out every two years with an instructor. The fact that you've been checked out by a CAA-certified instructor doesn't count.

FFF
--------------

Tinstaafl
14th May 2002, 14:06
What do you mean it doesn't count?

Of course it counts. That's why you only have to do a BFR - the same as a US pilot has to do each two years- instead of a licence test.

The BFR is to ensure that you are familiar with the local ways of doing things. If you're already a local then it helps ensure that you're kept up to date with changes since your last BFR/licence test etc

bcfc
15th May 2002, 08:56
Just got back from Virginia and only had to do a check-out with the FBO. However, this was very thourough and just like a skills test without the nav. We did the lot and he was strict on things like holding height & course and particularly aob during steep turns.

The FSDO in Richmond couldn't have been more helpful but an appointment was mandatory. Along with your licence and medical, remember a photo ID - a passport is best as you won't even get in the building without one.

Have fun - I'm green with envy.

aspinwing
15th May 2002, 12:30
Retard :

Save this in your favorites / bookmarks.

Acronym finder (http://www.acronymfinder.com/)

:)

FlyingForFun
15th May 2002, 12:45
Tinny, you misunderstood me:

Of course the fact that you've been checked out by a CAA-certified isntructor "counts" - but it doesn't exempt you from requiring a BFR with an FAA-certified instructor - which is what I meant in my earlier post. You are quite right in that this ensures you're familiar with local procedures, etc.

FFF
---------------

GoneWest
15th May 2002, 14:56
Just to drag the phrase a little...it's no longer called a "Bi-ennial Flight Review" (BFR).

It's now a "Flight Review" - which has to be done every two years...don't ask, it's an FAA one that I've been trying to work out for some time.

Anybody know why the name change??