PDA

View Full Version : PPL skill test

ariel
24th Apr 2002, 17:02
Hi all

Just want to thank you all for your wise words with regards to my recent skills test post, asking advice.

Well, have finally been able to take it, and was delighted to pass - am looking forward to being able to explore on my own now!

One last thought: What did you all do with your new licence? How many of you have progressed further, (IMC, etc...), how many practice manoueveurs such as steep turns on a regular basis, and how many just simply enjoy the privellege of flying

Thanks again

ariel

tomcs
24th Apr 2002, 19:06
I passed mine in December last year. I still like to practice steep turns and stalls, and the occasional PFL doesn't hurt either. But recently I have just been going all over the country! From lands end to Birmingham....I am hoping to do my IMC and night soon...

ENJOY!!

Tom

BRL
24th Apr 2002, 22:13
ariel Thats superb, well done.!! If your'e down around Shoreham anytime give us a call.... :)

Whirlybird
25th Apr 2002, 00:44
Many many congratulations ariel.

I got my PPL(A), then spent about a year flying all over the country with another PPL, sharing costs. Had a wonderful time and learned a lot. Didn't practise as much as I should have really. Then I discovered helicopters, and the rest is history as they say. It's good to strike a balance - practise and learn more, but don't forget the fun because that's what it's all about.

skydriller
25th Apr 2002, 07:56
Aerial - CONGRATULATIONS!!:)

Now go out and have some fun......

Regards, SD

FlyingForFun
25th Apr 2002, 08:23
Well done, ariel!

You should definitely keep practicing steep turns, stalls, pfls, etc. The best thing to do now is just fly around and enjoy yourself. Get used to flying around the local area, do a few land-aways, take family and friends with, and just have fun.

Eventually you'll start finding things, well, not boring exactly, but the novelty will start to wear off. That's when it's time to find something new to do. IMC rating is a good one - but I decided to get a tail-dragger check-out instead. Excellent fun, and really improves your ground-handling skills, as well as opening up a whole new world of interesting aircraft.

I got checked out on the Super Cub. Since I did my training in a PA28, this was the first high-winged aircraft I'd ever flown. I didn't like not being able to see where I was going in turns... but the Super Cub has a clear perspex roof, so doing all turns at around 50 degrees of bank means you can look through the roof to see where you're going - the perfect excuse to keep practicing the steep turns! :D :D :D

FFF
-------------

Tigerformation
25th Apr 2002, 09:39
WELL DONE ARIEL!! you now join all the flyers in the sky, lucky you!!

Not too long and i'll be joining you up there!

- My first post since my membership as intersection !!

Holdposition
25th Apr 2002, 09:52
VERY WELL DONE ARIEL:

Just enjoyself at first flying round getting to know the different aspects etc, you will progress as and when, the night rating is an excellent when to have as it enables you fly through our winter etc.

The old saying goes: Enjoy it, use it but don't abuse it.

Many congratulations.

sennadog
25th Apr 2002, 12:10
Congratulations - enjoy yourself.

Trislander
25th Apr 2002, 12:24
Well done Ariel,

I passed mine during Easter, and having completed the last exam last Friday, I am now waiting for a nice parcel from the CAA to drop through my letterbox!

Well done, and happy flying,
Tri

ariel
26th Apr 2002, 16:00
Many thanks to those of you who have replied. Must admit, it still feels great - after waiting so long due to our 'beautiful' weather to finish, (but well worth it).

I always said to myself that if I got this, I'd like to eventually do an instructors rating, which is something I've always been interested in achieving, but am very unsure as to whether a CPL, or ATPL is required.

Was also considering giving gliding a go sometime in the future....

Anyway, for the meantime, am just going to enjoy myself and have some fun!

ariel

Currymonster
26th Apr 2002, 22:19
Anyone offer any words of wisdom for the skills test.
I am doing it the week after next.
Also any advice re the oral exam you have to do Cheers

tomcs
27th Apr 2002, 09:19
Just relaxing and do your best flying! Concentrate on the checks, clearing, lists etc lookout!. The oral exam is a bit of a misnomer i think. Its not very official (well it wasn't at our club) I just did quite a bit of weather forecasting and decoding of METAR's, and he asked me about the aircraft like engine etc.

Good Luck.

Let us know how u do.

Tom

28thJuly2001
28th Apr 2002, 15:23
The oral exam is more like a ten minute conversation about the aircraft. As for the skills test, not much to say except to relax and not fret if you mess something up. I was convinced I failed on the PFL and it played on my mind for the circuits so I proceeded to fly the worst three circuits and landings of my life. I failed on my landings but was OK on the PFL. So I had to go out two days later and fly 3 circuits to get my PPL.
If you fail on something SO WHAT, just do them again another day, if you fail again SO WHAT, just do the ENTIRE skills test again another day. Pretty expensive philosophy but you will get there. Dont forget to update us on the result. GOOD LUCK.
Walt,,

Fergal20
13th May 2002, 12:10
Hi everybody..

Have my PPL skill test coming up shortly and I'm a bit worried about the PFL and the glide approach, any tips or advice??

Thanks in advance

;)

FNG
13th May 2002, 13:33
Go out with your instructor and practice until confident. Don't rush to lower flaps. Learn how to sideslip, in case you find yourself high when on final.

If you have been taught a constant aspect PFL, tell the examiner before hand, although he/she probably won't mind which technique you use, as long as you maintain a correct glidespeed and look likely to make a survivable arrival in a field. Don't be surprised if the examiner leaves it very late before telling you to go around, and treat that go around as carefully as any other.

Best of luck.

BRL
13th May 2002, 14:00
If you have a look at page 3 of this forum there are 2 seperate threads about this subject. Also if you do a search i am sure you will find more on it. I am going to merge the threads now to make life easier for some.