PDA

View Full Version : 3 Axis microlight

4eyed anorak
30th Dec 2013, 20:12
Hi to all. Having been mad about aircraft all my life i`m now in a position to seriously think about getting a licence and microlight (Rans s6 etc) however i`m 6ft 5in tall and 120kgs.
Am I too tall and heavy to consider a 3 axis microlight?
Also living in the Saltash area is Bodmin airfield the only place close I can obtain my licence?

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
30th Dec 2013, 20:48
The Rans S6 would be a good choice for you. I’ve been told that Randy Schlitter, the designer of the Rans line of aircraft, is 6’ 7” tall and designed the S6 around himself. I’m about 6’ tall and use a 3” cushion on the seat. Although I fly a Group A Rans S6, the microlight version is very similar. The main difference being a constant chord wing of 156sq-ft area, compared with 116sq-ft for the Group A version. As weight lifters they are good machines. Mine has an empty weight of around 550lbs and a maximum all up weight of 1,100lbs, giving plenty of scope for fuel and crew.

Looking at the BMAA website (http://www.bmaa.org/pwpcontrol.php?findusingparamregion=gb_south_west), there seem to be plenty of microlight instructors around the Southwest. Perhaps the best option is to visit a few of the schools near to where you live and see how you find the people there. If you haven’t flown before, perhaps a trial lesson at a couple of the most appealing locations would help you chose the one that suits you best.

Enjoy your flying.

Lone_Ranger
30th Dec 2013, 20:59
You might (just) get away with the height, though it would be uncomfortable, but Seat loading will be your main problem

This thread may be of help.... http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/453950-microlight-3-axis-flexwing-larger-build.html

this is my username
31st Dec 2013, 06:52
You will struggle with both seat weight limits and with Max Take Off Weight (MTOW) in most three-axis microlights unless you can find a jockey to teach you how to fly.

I cant recall the exact numbers (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I get it wrong) but most 3-axis microlights are designed around nominal occupant weights of about 86kg - ie 172kg for both occupants. With you on board there would be only 52kg left for an Instructor - and that's assuming that you are 120kg full clothed!

You will have to look at individual types to see what the maximum seat loads are as they vary from aircraft to aircraft.

Your best place to start would be to lose a significant amount of weight.

The Fenland Flyer
31st Dec 2013, 10:07
The C-42 has a max seat loading of 120kg, so with a light weight instructor (we are not all fat :)) you will be fine as long as you fit comfortably in the aircraft.

4eyed anorak
31st Dec 2013, 11:55
Thank all for your replies. I think my best option would be to shed some timber first although 105kgs will be my limit as I think I will look like the gable end of a crisp.
I will look around at other airfields although closest would be more preferable.
So..celery sticks here I come
Regards 4each