PDA

View Full Version : Advice on hour building please...

Timmy O'Tool
13th May 2002, 11:54
I hold a frozen ATPL currently have around 500 hundred hours tt and 160 multi; I have decided to buy an aeroplane in order to build hours so as to be in a better position when things pick up.

So would I be better buying a single that is slow and comparatively cheap to run; or a twin that would probably mean that I would achieve fewer hours but would provide peace of mind over the water allowing trips abroad and increase my twin time?

All constructive advice would be most welcome.

Thank you

scroggs
13th May 2002, 14:36
The nature of your question, notwithstanding your presumed ambition to enter commercial flying, is far better suited to Private Flying. I expect that there you will find many who are well qualified to advise you on the practicalities of aircraft ownership, whether single or twin. I shall move this topic accordingly.

From an airline's point of view, multi time is more useful than single, but keeping current is the most important thing.

slim_slag
13th May 2002, 17:04
From a purely economic point of view, it is cheaper to buy only if you fly a certain number of hours per year. In the US, this is said to be between 100-150, you should talk to owners in your area to find out what your numbers would be.

If I was in your position, I might approach some syndicate and offer to fly their plane during 'off peak times'. You might be able to negotiate a good rate, as the plane is only making money when it is flying. If it sits unused during the week it is essentially costing money.

If you do buy, it is going to cost you a lot more than you would expect. You need to talk to owners in your neck of the woods.

Dan Dare
13th May 2002, 17:05
I can't say which flying is more useful to get a job, but I expect you have enough twin time and not enough total time. It should be possible to fly for about £10 per hour in a Volkswagen powered aircraft and you are unlikely to log hours cheeper than this. Thare are various shares available at White Waltham at the moment, but I guess most places have something similar. Mail me if you want further details or advice on setting up a similar group locally.

A and C
14th May 2002, 09:26
Why buy when you can rent cheaply ?.
contact me at.

[email protected]