PDA

View Full Version : licence type/how to do it

Iceburg1
23rd Dec 2013, 08:11
So I would like to fly GA aircraft aswell as 3 axis microlights. I've heard I can learn on GA and then can convert it to include microlights?

Could someone clear this up for me

Sir George Cayley
23rd Dec 2013, 08:18
Have you tried searching for previous threads? Looking up Licensing on the CAA website?

Normally, you'd get plenty of replies but we're all involved in prepping Santa's flight plan.

And panicking over last minute presents - seen some nice roses at the local garage last night.

SGC

xrayalpha
23rd Dec 2013, 08:45
You can do anything you want if you have the money!

Iceburg1
23rd Dec 2013, 09:01
Aha I have a long list... If only my numbers would come up -.-

Piper.Classique
23rd Dec 2013, 10:59
Yes, you can. In the U.K. At least. And France.

much2much
26th Jan 2014, 07:53
Best to leave wife, job ,house .sell your sole ,and emigrate to a country with out multiple tiers of bureaucracy,un- knowledgeable ,pension chasing civil servants ,and power crazed appointed organisations ,or give up flying,

Every successful licence application ,now come complicate with a LLB so you can practice law,and a weeks course with Kofi Annan, to help patience and diplomacy with further applications,

Still i now have a night rating on a licence with a Nppl rating, a rating( the night bit that is) i tried to get issued along with a night instructors rating ,on the bases of other ratings,the application went in circles so i gave up,now 38 years later it has suddenly appeared,no use with that rating,, who say the CAA are slow, off to church to seek amens,ho ho:rolleyes:

***But LAPL .AND EASA PPL will allow Microlight privileges with a difference training and signature , and a Microlight rating can be added to your NPPL just send the BMAA and CAA the dosh, and of course compete the relevant training and a second GST

On the plus side this option allows for cross crediting in terms of revalidation.

muffin
26th Jan 2014, 08:09
It would be a LOT cheaper to do it the other way round, ie learn on a microlight and convert to GA types later. That way the bulk of the learning process would be at a much lower hourly cost.

trousercough
26th Jan 2014, 11:11
My conversion took 5 hours - took it in Cessna 152
GST & NST
Most of this time was taken up with aircraft familiarisation
Now have NPPL A ( Areoplanes ) SSEA Simple Single Engine Aeroplane

No other exams - all of my fixed wing microlight flying was taken into account - you have to have certain hours but they are not much
Good luck - find out what all the fuss is about - basically its exactly the same but much more expensive and the machines much less responsive - additionally and perhaps critically you have to keep pulling this thing out that lowers engine power and stiops it icing up otherwise it stops - great fun !!

much2much
26th Jan 2014, 14:05
i think he wants to do it the other way around
Learning in GA and then convert.
In fact i found once i had got over been scared s***less in the microlight in A strong wind i was doing a better job than in the Cessna, Facing side ways in a crosswind due to the lower speeds ,is a bit like been a flight engineer , ??

Or indeed learn Microlight and add SSEA ,as they say,and then your,12 hour in 24 months can be cross-credited as long as you have at least 1 hour on each type and 1 dual, included in the totall requirements