View Full Version : Bert Spalton

e195-001
22nd Dec 2013, 22:16
This message is for anyone who worked with, or trained with Bert Spalton.

Bert died peacefully late in the night, on the 18th December during his sleep after a difficult year health wise.

Throughout his many years serving in the Aviation sector, which started when he joined the RAF when he was 17, being quickly promoted to Special Operations Executive during the Second World War.
After the end of the War, Bert joined NATS, and became an instructor at the ATC college at Hurn. Having moved on from Hurn, he served time as watch manager at both London Heathrow and Manchester Airports.

I am Berts' grandson, David Spalton.
If you have any funny stories from Berts' training days or any other stories you remember, please do share them here and I will take them to my grandmother, and the rest of our family to look over.

Thank you

David

Talkdownman
22nd Dec 2013, 23:39
Very sad to read of Bert's QSY. Thoroughly enjoyed Bert's humorous style of college instruction! On my Area Procedural Course in the late sixties I was once somewhat tardy discarding used FPS. Bert disappeared for a while, then reappeared to cover the FPS in moss and dead twigs, saying: 'You've got a lot of dead wood there'…

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Dec 2013, 06:57
Very sorry to hear about your sad loss David. I worked with Bert at Heathrow from late 1971-1976. A great character. RIP old buddy +

2 sheds
23rd Dec 2013, 08:47
Condolences to you and your family, David. Bert was a memorable instructor at CATC; I always recall the great enthusiasm that he conveyed to his trainees.

2 s

ZOOKER
23rd Dec 2013, 11:36
Deepest sympathies to you and your family David.
I had the pleasure of working with Bert at Manchester for a couple of years before his retirement. I remember him pointing out 'White Nancy' to me from the tower one summer evening. Whenever I see it, I still think of him.

10W
23rd Dec 2013, 17:05
I never met Bert, but I worked with your mum at Prestwick Centre, David. Please pass on my condolences to your family at this time of loss.

Derek Pake
10w

fisbangwollop
24th Dec 2013, 11:18
Hi David, sorry to hear the sad news, never worked with your Grand Father but met him a few times at your Mums house both in Galston and Troon. Pass on our regards and best wishes to all the family and our thoughts are with you at this very sad time.

Paul Aspin.

agent007
31st Dec 2013, 20:56
Hi David, sorry to hear your sad news too. I only met your Grandfather once. You might remember me from our caravanning days! I worked with your Mum at Scottish Great Days! My condolences to all your family.
Simon