PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel again....

yakhunter
19th Dec 2013, 19:18
I hold an FAA tailwheel rating on my stand alone FAA licence.
I have just finished my RV8 and now require a tailwheel endorsement on my EASA licence.

Do I still need to fly with an instructor and get signed off or will my FAA endorsement suffice?

Thank you.

Humaround
20th Dec 2013, 20:49
Rather surprised you haven't had a response on this. I doubt if you NEED a sign-off, after all you are flying within the privileges of your license, which is an international license.

On the other hand your insurer may require evidence of your actual tailwheel experience, including on type, and that might require some tailwheel time on type.

In any case, unless you have experience on type, I'd say it would be wise to get some before you take any risks in your lovely RV! Tailwheel RVs aren't hard but there are some tips and tricks, as with any type.

sapperkenno
21st Dec 2013, 07:42
You just need an EASA CRI/FI to write "tailwheel differences training completed" in your logbook. Whether you are a known quantity to them and they will just write it, or they decide they want you to "walk the walk" first with a bit of dual is up to them.

yakhunter
21st Dec 2013, 09:39
Thank you gents.
I fully intended to do a few hours dual on the 8 first, but now I'll make sure it's with someone who can validate too.

Mark 1
21st Dec 2013, 17:42
If your FAA certificate is valid and current, then you can fly g- reg. under the privileges of that licence.

I know when the differences training rules came in, there were grandfather rights for prior time on that variant. EASA FCL doesn't seem to have any explicit guidance. Possibly annex 3 covers it.

Logically your sign off by an FAA CFI ought to cover you. But logic doesn't always prevail in these matters.