PDA

View Full Version : AMM Query

zippo1958
17th Dec 2013, 09:03
Apologies if this is in the wrong area. I'm working on an educational project related to aircraft maintenance. My knowledge is based on having a PPL and a basic understanding of GA aircraft maintenance. I'm researching into the heavy commercial world, so I'm slightly out of my depth here. My question is about Aircraft Maintenance Manuals and whether these are now easily accessible using computer systems, rather than being paper based. Also I'm familiar with logs. Are log books still the primary source of documenting the maintenance history of an aircraft, or is this computerised these days.

LME (GOD)
17th Dec 2013, 13:11
Hi zippo,

Most airlines now use electronic AMM, IPC etc due to the low cost of revisions and ease of access. Log books are still a mixture of paper and electronic. For aircraft in service the are the primary means of recording aircraft defects.

Rigga
17th Dec 2013, 17:09
Tech Logs are generally still used on most airliners but the actual Aircraft, Engine, Prop, APU and other Logbooks have mostly been replaced by electronic record systems (computerised maintenance and operations systems) - In the main, it depends on what the local authority will allow.

NutLoose
18th Dec 2013, 17:27
Zippo, the lighter side of things tend to have the manuals on CD or DVD too, check out Avantext and ATP.