PDA

View Full Version : post 9/11 mid-flight FD visits?

spudskier
12th May 2002, 19:46
post 9/11 is it even possible to get a visit to the FD? I'm an aviation student and I'm taking a trip (commercially) this summer and wondering if it would even be possible for me to get up there!?

if it may be possible, who should I ask? (The pilot's when I board, the airline when I reserve tickets? The Flight Attendent mid-flight?)

or is security just too tight for this anymore?

exeng
12th May 2002, 23:00
I'm sorry but if you fly with B.A. it will not be allowed no matter who you speak to. Perhaps other airlines have different policies.

Regards
Exeng

spudskier
13th May 2002, 03:46
thnx for the reply, but not going abroad, just staying in the states... not sure which carrier I will take, whichever has the best rates in a few weeks when I reserve.

FlapsOne
13th May 2002, 08:50
Pre 9/11 I was always delighted to receive FD visits - whether they be young enthusiasts or nervous flyers looking for re-assurance.

Sadly now most, probably all, operators here in Europe have stopped all flight deck visits during flight. Even a positioning crew member - not part of the operating crew - is currently not permitted on the FD jump seat without express permission from a management ops person.

It is one of those tragic consequences of last September's disaster. I don't know for sure but would guess the same situation exists in the States.

The fact that this situation would not have prevented what happened last year seems totally irrelevant to the powers that be.

BUT..........this job is all about making the fare-paying public feel secure and at ease about flying with us. If barring all access to the FD helps in some way then, though I hate to admit it, I suppose it's worth it.

Jetdriver
13th May 2002, 14:58
As you are in the USA where such mid flight visits have been banned for many years , the short answer is NO !

No point in asking anybody it is against the law.

They might let you visit on the ground though ?

spudskier
13th May 2002, 15:34
thnx for the replies. It is sad what has become of the world since 9/11, but you're definitely right, whatever makes the paying pax feel safe goes.

Maybe I'll check with the flight att. about a visit after the flight, I would even be happy to find a pilot to b.s. with during a layover or something. I don't necessarily need to see a FD, enough pics of those on the internet.

I have so many questions about the career I'm heading towards and would just like to talk to a live person who has experience as a pilot for the majors. Until now, I keep getting brushed off with people saying "read this" or "check out this web site". I've read that and seen that site! *sigh*

It would be good PR for some airline to start a mentoring program. Get volunteer pilots (who are paid to work otherwise) to be mentors to aviation students who were interested in the program. Maybe try to match students up with pilots who are based in the same city, or if not, exchange e-mail addresses/phone numbers, and possibly fly the student to meet the pilot once a year or something... the airline could seriously promote this publicly and say "here look, we like people, we're helping today's youth, fly with us cause we're good people" etc... I'm sure it would be worth a good 5 minutes on each of the major television networks prime newscasts! (they're always looking for a good happy story with some huge company) Believe me, they'd eat it up, I work in the media right now and can't wait to get the heck out and start doing what I really want.... fly!