PDA

View Full Version : EGHC (Lands End) Nostalgia thread

fromredtogreen
16th Dec 2013, 15:00
Hi everyone,

Here's a few pics of EGHC, the planes and the people I have uploaded. Anyone recognise the faces, locations or machinery?

https://picasaweb.google.com/106241730342429504148/LandsEndFlyingSchool?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMiqvs-Cl46XFQ&feat=directlink

Rosevidney1
16th Dec 2013, 16:56
Rod Bellamy standing in the indoor group.

fromredtogreen
16th Dec 2013, 17:09
Rod went to Gloucester and is at bodmin now.

Sheila trickey - cfi
Eddie Stephens in the office
John boynes in the chair
Bill penaluna
Colin ?? In the vp1

SpringHeeledJack
16th Dec 2013, 17:53
No idea who the people are, but I really enjoyed looking at the aerial pictures of Land's End and the Scillies, old school and visually informative :ok:

SHJ

split system breaker
19th Dec 2013, 13:30
Thanks for posting the pictures.

I learned to fly at Lands End in 1986, and did my first solo in G-OCPC. Neil Gregory, my instructor, lived in a caravan on the airfield; a flying instructor during the Summer, and a skiing instructor during the Winter, he had the world by the tail.

The C-152 was laid up for a while, with a bent nose gear, and John Nurse, the CFI, let me fly the Victa Airtourer for the same price - £28 an hour, if memory serves.

Viv Bellamy, Rod's father was still around in those days - amongst the treasure trove of aircraft was a replica Hawker Fury, and the fuselage of a Taylorcraft Auster with a gas-turbine engine; originally designed for a Rover car.

Happy Days.

zetec2
20th Dec 2013, 15:53
Also an Auster fuselage with an inverted Jaguar V12 car engine bolted on the front, remember it being tied down at the tail as guess the Jag engine (cast iron block ??) must have weighed a ton ?, whatever happened to it ?, PH.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
26th Dec 2013, 08:59
Neil Gregory, my instructor, lived in a caravan on the airfield; a flying instructor during the Summer, and a skiing instructor during the Winter, he had the world by the tail.

Neil did my Seaplane rating a few years back in Scotland. At least he's now living in a house, although his flying office is an old Glasgow double-decker bus parked by the lochside..

Looks like Lori Williams in the tower. She's still there.

fromredtogreen
27th Dec 2013, 08:38
It's interesting how the Lands End crew keep turning up in all four corners of the earth.

It was a great place to learn to fly and gave a lot of skills in challenging conditions.

Always fun to see someone used to mile long concrete turn up and run out of grass after touching 3/4 down.