PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen Flitestar

samson.
12th May 2002, 14:49
Does anyone who uses this (or any other flight planning software) know where you can get hold of Raster charts of the UK to use with it? Jeppesen sell their 1:500,000 chart on a CD, but I'm not a fan of their charts (and they are very expensive), and would prefer CAA/ICAO/Military instead, preferably 1:250,000 (although 1:500,000 will do). Any ideas much appreciated!

I do have access to a huge scanner, so could potentially scan my own maps, but have absolutely no idea about raster software etc - has anyone else done this, or does anyone know which software you have to use? I am fairly sure that you cannot just import a map into Flitestar as a graphic, it has to be changed to some magical format...

Unfortunately, yet again, we live in the wrong country for flying... it's easy to get hold of charts for the US!

Thanks

Samson

englishal
12th May 2002, 17:58
There's some software out there called Ozi-Explorer which allows you to import scanned charts into it. It comes in two flavours, one for the desktop PC, for flight planning, and one for a Windows CE machine, so you can connect your GPS and take it flying with you.

Its excellent, you get your own moving map software for peanuts (if you own a Casio Cassiopea or similar), and if you fly in the US, you can even download the sectional / WAC / IFR charts from Aeroplanner.com. Its not as powerfull as flightstar, in that you cannot auto-route, etc, you basically click where you want to go to create a route. Once created though, you can download the waypoints from your desktop to a GPS if you have a data cable...

Cheers
EA

Fujiflyer
13th May 2002, 12:20
Sampson,

I might be able to help here, send me an email if you're interested.

Fujiflyer :) ;)

Romeo Tango
13th May 2002, 17:03
A quick browse shows that it looks like some proprietry format. You could try ringing Jeppesen in the USA (no one in Europe seems to know anything about it).

RT