PDA

View Full Version : PPL currency

Born Sinner
12th May 2002, 14:12
I work for the airlines and am currently racking up more hours than in ideal world I would be! However been very slack with the old single engine flying recently (12 hours since last skills test May 2000) - I have been trying to look up on the CAA website the new JAR currency requirements with very little success. I believe that jet flying is no longer sufficient for me to just jump into a little 182 - anyone any knowledge or useful links would be appreciated.

GoneWest
12th May 2002, 15:00
Sinner..

From May 2000 to one day earlier in May 2002 (NOT one day later!!)....

12 hours required in single pilot, single engine aircraft....

all 12 must be in last twelve months - any done in first twelve months are not countable

6 of the twelve must be P1 - the others can be anything...

one hour (minimum 60 minutes, non stop) must be with JAA instructor

comply with above and you can have a signature in your licence and stay current....don't comply with the above and you will need to do a "proficiency check" with a PPL examiner (departure, stalling, steep turns, PFL, arrival and circuits).

Stan Evil
12th May 2002, 15:07
Just to add to the previous reply. The one hour dual can be replaced with any proficiency check or test, not just a test on a SEP - your annual big-jet type rating will do.

If you do not have the SEP rating revalidated in time then the renewal requires you to fly a Licensing Proficiency Check with a flight examiner. This comprises the normal sort of GH - stalls, PFLs, circuits etc.

Noggin
12th May 2002, 20:11
All sounds rather complicated. Why not just fly a prof check with an examiner. usually takes less than an hour and you are revalidated for another 2 years.

The 12 hours is intended for those who regularly fly 12 hours a year, and exempts you from the prof check.

As most clubs would insist on a club check anyway, do it with an examiner and you have met the requirement.

GoneWest
12th May 2002, 21:03
Noggin - you are technically correct in-so-much as a proficiency check with an examiner will revalidate the licence (or should I say "renew")....but your posting gives [me] the impression that you are suggesting that it will also be sufficient - and that whilst you would expect Born Sinner to be current at flying a multi crew, twin engine turbine (the 737), he does not need to be current to fly a single pilot, single piston engine aircraft - with carburetor heat, mixture controls and manual trim.

It is a sad fact that a PPL examiner will likely, no matter how scruffy 'Sinner' may fly a light aircraft, look upon the experience of a 737 pilot and sign the licence page anyway.

I remember watching a 767 Captain going through a PPL renewal, whilst on a lay-over here in Florida - guy could not follow a half mill chart (and he was the first to say so)...was too used to glass cockpit.

Having read your previous posts on many threads over the months/years, I do believe that you are saying it will be sufficient for another two years...but I certainly read it that way.

<<edit: for typo>>

BEagle
12th May 2002, 22:06
Well here's one PPL Examiner who won't be influenced by the background of anyone doing a SEP revalidation proficiency check. You pass if you're good enough; if you aren't you won't! But to be fair, the overwhelming majority of people I've flown SEP revalidations with have been absolutely fine.

Born Sinner
13th May 2002, 20:39
Cheers for the info guys...

GoneWest think you've got a point - I don't fly light aircraft enough, and really could do with flying with an instructor for an hour or two. Got that standard 4 stage flair problem when you forget how close to the ground you have to get!

Would like to think an examiner wouldn't be influenced by background as although the airmanship etc should be there in abundance the actual flying aspect really is quite different.

Cheers once again, Sinner.

ppl(a)
14th May 2002, 16:39
Gone West's first summary is correct. But I would just mention one additional point, since you seem to have been 'dabbling' at it a little since May 2000.

Superbly able as you may be on a jet, and even if you are totally OK in a light plane, there is also the "90 day rule". This requires that you have carried out, as "sole manipulator of the flying controls", 3 take offs and 3 landings within the preceding 90 days if you intend to take PASSENGERS while you act as Pilot in Command of the light plane class. Miss the 90 days, and you'd have to achieve your 3 t/o and landings solo before legally, and insurably, taking passengers for your occassional jollies.

So yes, Instructor and Proficiency Check are always the other way to do it.

Steamhead
14th May 2002, 20:20
Remember that after 5 years from date of expiry then more than a profficiency is required.
regards

dah dah
21st Jul 2002, 18:08
Stan

Re. "The one hour dual can be replaced with any proficiency check or test, not just a test on a SEP"

Where can I find the official refernce for this? My last check was MEP 23 months ago (last SEP check was over 2 yrs). I want to revalidate for SEP but would rather spend an hour doing aeros than a hour doing a prof check. I've got plenty of hours.

Thanks

Romeo Romeo
22nd Jul 2002, 12:43
Another thing which needs adding top GoneWest's list is that you must have your license signed by an instructor (or is it an examiner) to indicate you've done the 12 hours - this signiture needs to be done within the 2 years as well.

Flyer do a nice flow-chart with all this information on it here (http://www.flyer.co.uk/jar/ppl_valid_single.php).