PDA

View Full Version : Military markings and flights to Europe

777fly
11th Dec 2013, 17:38
Would there be any clearance problems or restrictions if we take our civilian registered but military marked Bulldog out of the UK?

gordon field
11th Dec 2013, 18:13
Don't fly it into or over Germany if you have a swastica painted on it.

sharpend
11th Dec 2013, 20:02
As you no doubt know, you need permission to fly an aircraft with RAF markings; both from the RAF and, if you don't display the UK reg, permission from the CAA. This needs to be renewed every 3 years.The same applies to France and Germany etc. You need to contact their own CAA, but when I applied to Paris they issued permission only for 6 months. Not easy! And it took ages.

astir 8
11th Dec 2013, 20:12
I've flown an ex-ATC Sedbergh glider in full Air Cadets/RAF regalia in France, Germany, Austria and Lithuania without a word being said by the locals (other than "can I have a go?").

But on the form which you have (of course) obtained from the RAF giving permission for military markings on a civil aircraft it does say amongst other things:-

"UK Residents" - The aircraft may only be flown within the airspace of Great Britain.

"Failure to comply with any of the above conditions will normally result in the authority to carry military markings being withdrawn"

I think the key point is item d) "The aircraft must not be flown in any manner which may cause criticism of the Royal Air Force" :ok:

Deneb
11th Dec 2013, 22:27
I took a Bulldog to France a few years ago. Spoke to DGAC first and obtained permission to fly in France in British training colours. I think the letter/permission is still in the aircraft's file!

Best wishes

J

dn88
11th Dec 2013, 22:47
Lots of people simply stick small UK registration marks somewhere on their aircraft, as a temporary fix if they go to fly abroad. However (intentionally or otherwise) you are in effect breaching the terms of your CAA exemption as you have been exempt to wear those precise military markings, not the military markings with civil reg stuck over the top!

Whopity
16th Dec 2013, 10:19
Dual marking is illegal as the RAF found out when they took a King Air to Germany

Desert185
16th Dec 2013, 13:46
"Permission" is a word I'm grateful I don't yet need to use when related to flying spam can type aircraft in the U.S. Sympathies to those who do, and sincere gratefulness for reminding me that simple freedoms still exist for me. In true sincerity, without a single gloat...really.

India Four Two
16th Dec 2013, 14:12
D185,

I agree with you. Flying is much simpler in the US, although I suspect if you painted your 185 as a U-17 and flew it around with no N numbers, you might need "permission" from someone ;)

waldopepper42
16th Dec 2013, 16:01
On a lighter note. Some years ago, I was a member of a group operating a Chipmunk in RAF livery. As has been said, we had to get this endorsed every so often. It wasn't (then) a difficult procedure but did require a recent photo to be provided. It just so happened that the Chippie had recently been to East Kirkby and the pic our administrator provided was of the Chippy parked underneath the wing of "Just Jane"

With a caption provided for the benefit of the authorities:

"The Chipmunk is the red, white and grey one".

Well, I thought it was funny! :E