PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed CAA PPL (A) > Instructor

fromredtogreen
10th Dec 2013, 10:34
Good Morning.

As age creeps up on me I have decided I would like a career change to FI.

I have a lapsed (> 5 years) CAA PPL with >200 hours on SEP.

Can anyone advise on the best route? I am a little confused about the licence conversion process to a current valid PPL. Am I better just starting from scratch?

I believe with a PPL (A) and > 200 hours I then meet the entry criteria for an intensive course without the CPL.

Advice would be much appreciated.

FR2G

Whopity
10th Dec 2013, 16:34
The process to renew your PPL is fairly simple, go to a school and do enough training to pass a Proficiency Check. You will then need a new EASA licence from April next year, so a combined application is called for.

To complete an instructor course based upon a PPL then you need CPL level knowledge before you can continue. You need 150 hours PIC in your 200 hours and 10 hours of IF instruction, an IMC rating would have fulfilled that requirement. You also need to have flown a 300nm X-Country.

There is another option where you could undertake the FI course without the CPL knowledge, but would be restricted to teaching for the new LAPL. Whether there will be sufficient demand to make that worthwhile is another matter. Alternatively, you could become a Microlight instructor.

3 Point
10th Dec 2013, 18:54
With a total experience of 200 hours and no flying for 5 years the first thing si to get your PPL renewed. You will then need to polish your own flying skills and build experience to the level where you can be credible as an instructor. Could do that while studying for the CPL theory exams.

I suggest go to a school of your choice and speak to them about renewing the PPL as a first step; any renewal will automatically require a conversion to an EASA licence. I'd recommend that you consider dong an IMC rating before April to have the IR(R) included in your new EASA licence.

Good luck!

3 Point

Mickey Kaye
10th Dec 2013, 19:28
I know of one ppl instructor who doesn't have cpl tk and he is pretty busy teaching nppl differences training etc.

GipsyMagpie
10th Dec 2013, 19:41
The IMC can now be issued to 2019.

CAA Press release (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&mode=detail&nid=2298)

Whopity
10th Dec 2013, 19:58
I know of one ppl instructor who doesn't have cpl tk Ex BCPL holders!

Mickey Kaye
10th Dec 2013, 20:46
No not at all. Added fi to ppl although he does have an imc rating.

If the 100 compulsory groundschool applies to the ppl and not to tha lapl then i suspect that the amount of nppl/lapl uptake by students will increae vastly at the expense of the ppl

Whopity
10th Dec 2013, 22:36
If the 100 compulsory groundschool applies to the ppl and not to tha lapl The CAA have stated that it does however; others in EASA disagree!