PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL in UK?

Keef
12th May 2002, 00:22
Probably been asked before, but does anyone know if a UK or JAA PPL holder can get an FAA PPL without visiting a FSDO in the USA?

Two of our group don't have US licences and don't want to visit (their choice, Sept 11 based). It's easy to get an FAA reciprocal PPL when over there, but I've not heard any definitive ruling on getting one while in the UK.

khorne
12th May 2002, 09:21
I have never done this myself but I believe it is easy. I believe that you do this through the FAA office at Heathrow. Even if this is not the case you can still ring them and ask them how you do it.

CAHLIBAHN_MK2
12th May 2002, 09:41
The FSDO at Heathrow has not been able to issue airman's certificates for some years now.

2Donkeys
13th May 2002, 07:32
The FAA Regional Office in Frankfurt can oblige, assuming that your partners in crime are happy to get on a jet and go that far? :p

Keef
13th May 2002, 21:41
Thanks folks. So, still have to travel. Frankfurt isn't my first choice of places to go! But then, I'm not the one who has to do the going!

I wonder if it could be done by post ... will talk to the nice FSDO people and see.

BEagle
14th May 2002, 05:36
I very much doubt that it can be done by post. They will probably need to ensure that 'you' are you by seeing you face-to-face. That's what I had to do when there was a FAA office at the Belgrano; I can't imagine that things will have become easier post Sep 11.