PDA

View Full Version : Skydrol contamination in Fuel

ross_M
8th Dec 2013, 14:32
I saw this quote in a FAQ on the Skydrol website. I was wondering how do they figure that 5% contamination is a worst case scenario?

Skydrol.com - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.skydrol.com/pages/faqs.asp)

Q: What happens when fuel is contaminated by hydraulic fluid?

A: In laboratory tests, concentrations of up to 5% Skydrol in jet fuel were cooled to -30oF. No gel formation or any other effect was observed. 5% is the maximum concentration possible in the worst case of a leak in a fuel tank heat exchanger.

sb_sfo
8th Dec 2013, 15:44
You're going to have a minimum fuel amount in the tanks for hyd. cooling, and a maximum quantity of hyd. fluid in the system that is being cooled in that tank. Assuming that it all gets pumped into the fuel tank, which it probably won't, from there it's just simple math, no?

ross_M
8th Dec 2013, 16:59
Duh! Stupid me.

That's how they get that number. Interesting. Order of magnitude does 5% make sense though? I know it'll vary between aircraft but is the ratio of total hydraulic fluid inventory to minimum fuel amount close to 5%?

Thanks!

safelife
8th Dec 2013, 17:18
Most hydraulic systems found on aircraft have a total volume between one and three gallons.
Anything higher than 5% won't last for more than a couple of seconds really...

munster
8th Dec 2013, 17:22
The 737NG A system Contains about 22 litres of Skydrol! You'd have to get the left wing tank below 350kg to achieve a 5% mix.

ross_M
8th Dec 2013, 17:28
Gotcha! So 5% is an overly conservative estimate. It'd be hard or well almost impossible to approach that ratio in any reasonable scenario.

Thanks!

rmm
9th Dec 2013, 01:27
Bear in mind that it's usually just the pump case drain line that is routed thru the heat exchanger not the main supply or return lines. At least on Boeing's anyway.