PDA

View Full Version : NPPL SLMG and SSEA to PPL TMG and SEP

Mickey Kaye
30th Nov 2013, 21:04
If we have someone with an NPPL SLMG and SSEA rating who would like to convert to a PPL and would like to do all the flying in a TMG.

Assuming he has more than 15 hours of flight time on aeroplanes after the issue of his NPPL.

would I be correct in thinking that he has to do 10 hours instruction at an ATO. Of which 4 hours is of supervised solo flight time, including at least 2 hours of solo cross-country flight time and a 150nm QXC.

If all the above was done in a TMG in which he then passed the PPL skills test would I then be correct in thinking that he would then be issued with a PPL with both TMG and SEP ratings?

Whopity
1st Dec 2013, 12:00
If all the above was done in a TMG in which he then passed the PPL skills test would I then be correct in thinking that he would then be issued with a PPL with both TMG and SEP ratings? If you require two class ratings then you will need to pass a PPL Skill Test in one for the issue of the licence including that class rating, then there will be a requirement for a second class rating skill test to add that to the licence. Once both ratings are current then they can be maintained by a single action.

Mickey Kaye
1st Dec 2013, 14:15
As ever many thanks.

But If he just upgrades his nppl slmg with ssea rating to a lapl then want that come back with tmg and an sep rating on it?

Whopity
3rd Dec 2013, 14:11
That would seem logical however:
The holder of NPPL(A)(SSEA) seeking to
convert directly to a PPL(A)(SEP)may do so by:
1) Satisfying the NPPL(A)(SSEA) to LAPL(A)
(SEP) conversion requirements set out in
this Part, and
2) Satisfying the LAPL(A)(SEP) to PPL(A)(SEP)
training and testing requirements set out in
FCL.210.A(b) & FCL.235, and
3) hold a valid Part-MED Class 1 or 2 Medical
Certificate.

And FCL235 says:FCL.235 Skill test
(a) Applicants for a BPL, SPL or PPL shall demonstrate through the completion of a skill test the ability to perform, as PIC on the appropriate aircraft category, the relevant procedures and manoeuvres with competency appropriate to the privileges granted.

6th Dec 2013, 13:09
According to CAP 804 you can get a SPL valid for life with full TMG privileges (ie you may carry passengers) with a NPPL with SLMG rating and 2 hours of PIC on TMG since getting the NPPL. No training nor test required. SPL is an ICAO licence.
Recency requirements on SPL similar to LAPL, ie no administrative process required, just check that for every flight you meet the currency requirements on TMG or SEP.

Whopity
7th Dec 2013, 18:37
just check that for every flight you meet the currency requirements on TMG or SEP. You can't fly a SEP on a SPLFCL.205.S SPL — Privileges and conditions
(a) The privileges of the holder of an SPL are to act as PIC on sailplanes and powered sailplanes. In order to exercise the privileges on a TMG, the holder shall have to comply with the requirements in FCL.135.S.

8th Dec 2013, 08:36
You want to fly SEPs and TMGs on an EASA/ICAO licence.
If you go for a PPL with TMG and SEP, you'll need 2 skill tests.

If you would go for a SPL/TMG and a PPL/SEP, you would have to pass only one skill test to get the PPL/SEP, the SPL/TMG being just a paperwork exercise.
It won't probably be cheaper to go for the PPL/SEP SPL/TMG than the PPL/SEP/TMG, but might be easier as I don't know of many flight schools able to get you from LAPL/NPPL to PPL on a TMG.

Whopity
8th Dec 2013, 10:23
How simple it all was before the lunatics took over the asylum!

kevkdg
21st Feb 2014, 08:42
I can move directly from an NPPL(SLMG) to a PPL(A) TMG only. Just had clarification from the CAA, that if I do the 150nm X Country as PIC landing at two airfields other than that of departure and provide log book evidence that will meet that requirement for the direct conversion. They are happy for it to be unsupervised with log book evidence. I meet all the other criteria.

Does any instructor/examiner out there who works for an ATO know what the likely syllabus and hour requirements will be to add a SEP rating to an existing EASA PPL(A) TMG Only.... thus lifting the TMG Only element as per FCL.725.

CAP804 gives a detailed breakdown on what is required to add the rating to a LAPL but is very vague on what might be required for a PPL(A) aside from a skills test.

nick14
21st Feb 2014, 12:50
I would normally do it in 3 lessons about an hour reach then skills test.

Not difficult for the SEP class, time depends on your experience and how quickly you adapt.

kevkdg
21st Feb 2014, 14:32
so it can still be done as simple differences training followed by skill test? Is there any requirement for NAV Aids?

nick14
21st Feb 2014, 15:19
Well effectively it's a class rating course although there isn't really a course in the regulations.

Level Attitude
21st Feb 2014, 20:21
To add a new Rating to a Licence requires a Skills Test.
Just wondering what the content of an SEP Skills Test is?
Is it defined somewhere?
I would assume the same content as an SEP Proficiency Check but,
assumptions.....................etc, etc

nick14
22nd Feb 2014, 08:27
It's the same appendix as far as I am aware.

22nd Feb 2014, 09:05
I think it's the same skill test as the SEP renewal skill test.
Basically if I remember well it's a PPL test with simpler enroute procedures (simple nav, no diversion)

nick14
22nd Feb 2014, 14:12
Section 1-5 inclusive omitting 3B unless an IR is to be renewed.

Level Attitude
22nd Feb 2014, 15:43
It's the same appendix as far as I am awareThanks nick14 Appendix 9 does, indeed, say for both Skill Test
and Proficiency Check.

I think it's the same skill test as the SEP renewal skill testThere is no such thing as a Skill Test to renew a rating - check Definitions
at beginning of Part-FCL.

Basically if I remember well it's a PPL test with simpler enroute
procedures (simple nav, no diversion)I thought I would just confirm differences between a Rating Skill Test and
a PPL Skill Test - but I cannot now find the requirements for the
PPL Skill Test anywhere (Appendix 4 is CPL and Appendix 9 is MPL, ATPL
and Ratings)

Can anyone help (for both LAPL & PPL)?

nick14
22nd Feb 2014, 18:03
AMCs? Give me a few mins I will dig it out.

Whopity
22nd Feb 2014, 19:05
AMC1 FCL.235 Skill test
CONTENTS OF THE SKILL TEST FOR THE ISSUE OF A PPL(A)

AMC1 FCL.125 LAPL — Skill test CONTENTS OF THE SKILL TEST FOR THE ISSUE OF A LAPL(A)

nick14
22nd Feb 2014, 19:10
Your too quick!

The application and report form can also be found in AMC 1 to Appendix 7.

Level Attitude
22nd Feb 2014, 19:25
Whopity, nick14 Thank you both.
My next complaint about EASA: It causes word/page blindness:rolleyes:

nick14
22nd Feb 2014, 19:29
Try doing it for a living 2 days a week :-S