PDA

View Full Version : Converting into JAR-FCL/EASA FI rating

sahni
28th Nov 2013, 21:48
Could anyone provide some feedback about the options to convert my ICAO flight instructor rating into a JAR-FCL/EASA FI rating?

I have all privileges (multi-engine, IFR, cross-country etc.), plenty of hours to meet the standard entry requirements for a full course under JAR-FCL, and also hold EASA ATPL credits. But I don't want to do a full (and costly) course.

Cheers!

chrisbl
29th Nov 2013, 19:05
A good place to start is CAP 804. It tells you all you need to know and is a vital tool for an instructor.

ifitaintboeing
29th Nov 2013, 19:53
CAP 804, Section 4, Part Q, Subpart 2, page 3

ifitaint...

chrisbl
30th Nov 2013, 07:18
You are making it too easy for him.

S-Works
30th Nov 2013, 07:55
God forbid we have a forum where peers can help each other instead of scoring points for oneupmanship............

sahni
30th Nov 2013, 08:26
Thanks everyone! Found and read CAP 804. Unfortunately it still says 30 hrs ground and 15 hrs flight instruction necessary to convert FI rating i.e. no shortcut for current/experienced FI to do simply a skill test :ugh:

..really no loophole???

Cheers

S-Works
30th Nov 2013, 08:33
No loophole.

You have to learn the system you will teach. The conversion requirements are not onerous.

sapperkenno
1st Dec 2013, 12:50
If during the training course the Head of Training of the ATO determines that completion of the reduced course requirements set out in this part is unwarranted, the Head of Training may make a written recommendation for a further reduction, and L&TS will give the recommendation consideration.
So if you really did your homework and learn the EASA syllabus etc, and find an ATO who are pragmatic and not simply after taking money off you, they may be able to recommend a reduced training course based on their assessment of you, which should then be allowed by the CAAs L&TS.

The reg's used to say (seemingly prior to the latest update in October) words to the effect that the training requirements were at the discretion of the ATO, and it was up to them to design a suitable course, which the CAA would accept, having already given the ATOs authorisation to do such things...

While this is an anonymous forum, and without mentioning names of people, ATOs etc, I know of at least one person who was able to become an EASA FI(R) earlier this year after doing a "pragmatic" conversion and following CAP 804 to the letter - as it was written then. This person was an EASA CRI (SE) and FAA CFI/II (ASEL), having logged around 100 hours of instruction given. A course of instruction consisting of less than 15 hours flying was undertaken, and the FI initial test passed with an FIE. :D

Mickey Kaye
1st Dec 2013, 13:39
Yes And the restricted bit always ssems a bit silly to me. You've got an icai instructor with 5000 hours who has sent god knows how many people on thier first solo. Yet when they become easa all of a sudden they are not.

How does it work for oxford in goodyear? presumably all their instructors aren't dual qualfied. I wonder how much standardisarion training they have to do.

Whopity
1st Dec 2013, 17:37
How does it work for oxford in goodyear? They have left Goodyear! Mesa Arizona is the latest location.
I wonder how much standardisarion training they have to do. 15/30 comes to mind!

sapperkenno
1st Dec 2013, 18:15
I wonder how much standardisarion training they have to do.

15/30 hours...
What did they have to do previously then, as this is only the state of play since October?

Whopity
1st Dec 2013, 21:17
No its been around since 1999(iii) have completed in accordance with JAR–FCL the approved relevant course(s) of
theoretical instruction and flight training. The course may be modified, as approved by the Authority,
taking into account the previous training and the experience of the applicant, but shall comprise at least
30 hours of ground instruction and 15 hours of dual flight instruction performed by a flight instructor
holding a JAR–FCL licence and rating in accordance with JAR–FCL 1.330(f);

sahni
3rd Dec 2013, 06:56
@Mickey Kaye: totally agree with you

@sapperkenno: sent PM

Whopity
3rd Dec 2013, 09:59
Yet when they become easa all of a sudden they are not.Thats because they have to suck all your Worldly experience out, so that you replicate a Euro Politician!