PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Odd Airfields

Maoraigh1
28th Nov 2013, 20:16
Looking at Google Earth, I noticed a number of airfield symbols in strange places. When clicked on, they have names similar to real, accurately marked airfields. Dalcross on the Black Isle, Connel near Lochgilphead, a second Broadford in the middle of Skye, and a second Dornoch north of the town.
Is this just in the north of Scotland?

aerobelly
28th Nov 2013, 20:58
It's in the US too. I recently found that Monmouth Airport, site of my first solo, had shifted to the car park of a church in a nearby seaside resort.

The real place is now Monmouth Executive Airport, but in GE the tiddlers on the apron look much as they did 35 years ago.

'b

mikehallam
10th Dec 2013, 15:18
http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww121/mikehallam/CourseampWindTriangleCorrection100313.jpg

BillieBob
10th Dec 2013, 18:01
More likely the odd dyslexic nerd typing in the wrong co-ordinates.

Sir George Cayley
10th Dec 2013, 18:42
Wouldn't that be nred?

SGC

Maoraigh1
10th Dec 2013, 19:53
If you look, these are additional airfields - e.g.Inverness Airport and Oban Airport in the correct place. Dalcross and North Connel, their wartime names, on symbols miles away.

Whopity
15th Dec 2013, 09:02
Anybody can post flags on Google Earth, they need no qualifications or expertise and so long as they don't place anything offensive I doubt anything is ever checked. Just look at the level of literacy on eBay as an example. The majority of people have never had to define things in geographical co-ordinates and in any event a position only defines the corner of a rectangle.