PDA

View Full Version : Can a CRI....

Unusual Attitude
28th Nov 2013, 08:59
...carry out differences training for a PPL(A) to convert onto a 3 Aixs microlight such as a Eurostar?

As far as I can see after doing some digging, as long as the CRI has had the differences training themselves then they should be able to do this, or have I missed something?

Regards

UA

Whopity
28th Nov 2013, 09:23
Its familiarisation training, not differences training, no sign up required.FCL.710 Class and type ratings — variants
(a) In order to extend his/her privileges to another variant of aircraft within one class or type rating, the pilot shall undertake differences or familiarisation training.

Well within the privileges of a CRI.

List of Differences:SEP (land)(D)

SEP (land) with variable pitch propellers
SEP (land) with retractable undercarriage
SEP (land) with turbo or super charged engines
SEP (land) with cabin pressurisation
SEP (land) with tail wheels
SEP (land) with EFIS
SEP (land) with SLPC

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2013, 10:22
This does emphasise that "we" (the instructing community) could really do with a single "CRI handbook" showing what we can and can't do, in one place.

Can anybody persuade the CAA to pay somebody like Irv to write it? (Or the LAA, since the overlap between LAA coach privileges, and CRI privileges, is extremely large, and most of us are members of it whether coaches or not.)

G

S-Works
28th Nov 2013, 11:31
Erm....

Not being funny Ghengis or the OP. But you should know the privileges of the rating you hold. You should also have been taught that during the CRI course.

Not to mention that the privileges are clearly laid out in Part FCL....

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2013, 11:48
Let's be honest about this.

There's stuff in part FCL.

There's stuff in the ANO - particularly about what aeroplanes I can teach in when.

Much of that is then interpreted in various CAPs, or BMAA or LAA documents - for example about syndicate owned Permit aeroplanes, or material I find I need to refer to in the Microlight Instructor and Examiner guide - but that was written for microlight AFIs and FIs, who have different qualifications and privileges again.

And then when it comes to the NPPL I need to start trawling through interpretative material on the NPPL website, or through CAP 804.

And only a proportion of that was covered in my CRI course, and none of that in the course notes, which were just a subset of an excellent set of notes for the FI course, which I wasn't doing.

So I think that a well written and authoritative handbook, ideally with references to all the legally binding sources so we can cross reference, would be a very good thing.

G

Unusual Attitude
28th Nov 2013, 12:05
Thanks Bose,

I dont hold a CRI yet but am close to pushing the button, I'm just trying to figure out what use I would get from it at my particular airfield which has a weird and wonderful mix of flying machines and pilots.

As Genghis points out there are many different documents to refer to depending on what your thinking of doing with it and to me the simplest way of getting a clear answer was to ask here.

Regards

UA

nick14
28th Nov 2013, 12:11
It was part of my CRI course and I was told I could instruct at night as long as it wasn't for the night rating and I informed them that none of the time with me could e counted towards such.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2013, 12:35
It's worth doing, I've got a lot out of mine, and am doing around 30 hours per year of instructing.

You can, basically, do:-

Conversions between SSEA / SEP, Microlight, TMG - so long as you're qualified on them yourself. Except that you can't do NPPL --> EASA.

You can do differences training for anything you're qualified and competent on (with minimum hours in some cases)

Biennials for NPPL, PPL, CPL or ATPL holders on your aircraft classes.

Training to allow lapsed pilots to revalidate by test.

Syndicate or rental checkouts.

Quite a lot really (And I'm sure I've missed something).

If you do do the course, prepare by finding somebody to help mentor you post qualification, and getting good at flying accurately from the right hand seat. Make sure your flying and theory are spot on as well. If you want to send me an email address, you're welcome to some bits I've developed to help myself in the process.

G

ifitaintboeing
28th Nov 2013, 18:54
Its familiarisation training, not differences training, no sign up required.

That's not what the ANO says...Article 62(6)

A Part-FCL licence with single-engine piston aeroplane privileges is not deemed to be rendered valid for a microlight aeroplane unless the holder of the licence has undergone differences training in accordance with Section 2 of Part B of Schedule 7, appropriate for a microlight aeroplane class rating.

ifitaint...

Whopity
28th Nov 2013, 22:15
That's not what the ANO says...Article 62(6)
Indeed, so here is an advantage in retaining a UK National licence which is one of the options when obtaining an EASA licence. Art 62(6) only applies to a Part FCL licence.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2013, 22:19
I think my point about needing an authoritative "CAA's CRI handbook" has just been made!

G