PDA

View Full Version : Augur

Hireandhire
25th Nov 2013, 17:13
Following a tip on here, I have just read 'Flight of Passage' by Rinker Buck. Lovely innocent stuff.
But he describes fitting a shiny new augur to the tail of his Cub. Can any English-speaking American tell me what he meant please? I'm not sure that we have them over here.
thanks
hnH

worrab
25th Nov 2013, 17:19
It's an ancient Roman religious official. Perhaps an arcane rudder trim device?

Hireandhire
25th Nov 2013, 17:29
well, carrying a flappy ancient soothsayer on the tail would certainly affect the trim of a PA 11 but the bit about 'shiny' puzzles me too.

Hireandhire
25th Nov 2013, 17:32
I did wonder if it was a tail skid shoe, but in the photos it appears to have the capitalist decadence of a tail wheel.

Pegpilot
25th Nov 2013, 17:38
An augur ? It's a cast iron wood burning stove isn't it ? Ideal as a primitive APU, but you'd need to trim well forward with one fitted.....

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?

chevvron
25th Nov 2013, 19:10
Shirley it's a type of picket; helps stop the plane getting airborne empty when it's windy!!

SlipSlider
25th Nov 2013, 19:53
Could it be a misprint for "Auger" ? ... a tool resembling a large corkscrew .... and possibly something to do with the screwjack fitting that trims the stabilator on Cubs?

ETOPS
25th Nov 2013, 20:39
This doesn't augur well for the spelling bee :rolleyes:

Jan Olieslagers
25th Nov 2013, 21:48
Closest I got is Italian "Auguri!" , "Congratulations!"
Not sure there's much light down that road.

onetrack
25th Nov 2013, 21:50
Every aircraft has to be fitted with an auger. How else can they "auger in", when things go horribly wrong? :suspect:

longer ron
26th Nov 2013, 11:52
SlipSlider
Could it be a misprint for "Auger" ? ... a tool resembling a large corkscrew .... and possibly something to do with the screwjack fitting that trims the stabilator on Cubs?

I agree with Slipslider,I have the book at home somewhere and when I read that sentence - I always assumed he was referring to the tailplane trim screwjack.

rgds LR